Gibson Brands Forums

Owners of the Gibson EDS-1275 Double Neck

PelhamBlueFire

Hello everyone,

I ordered the Gibson EDS-1275 Double Neck this week, and I am very excited about it. Oh, for those that read my previous thread about the guitar, I kept my Gibson SG Standard (2014). Some of you already talked a little bit about the guitar, when I asked to compare the double neck to a SG Standard (quality-wise, etc). But now, I want to ask the people that own the EDS-1275 if you have anything to share about what it's like to have this guitar. I have a couple of questions:

1. In what kind of music (style) do you use it for mainly, and how often do you use it?

2. Are there any tips you can give me to deal with the neck-heavy problem this guitar has?

3. What you like/dislike about the guitar?

4. Have you made any changes to the guitar? If so, why?

5. Lastly, what color do you have?

Mine will be the Heritage Cherry one with chrome hardware. It's a great color, really. Now, the loooooong wait will begin. I called Gibson, but they said they couldn't tell me how long it would take for the guitar to arrive. Because I'm in Europe, they told me it would take a lot longer. I think it's worth the wait [thumbup]

Hello everyone,

I ordered the Gibson EDS-1275 Double Neck this week, and I am very excited about it. Oh, for those that read my previous thread about the guitar, I kept my Gibson SG Standard (2014). Some of you already talked a little bit about the guitar, when I asked to compare the double neck to a SG Standard (quality-wise, etc). But now, I want to ask the people that own the EDS-1275 if you have anything to share about what it's like to have this guitar. I have a couple of questions:

1. In what kind of music (style) do you use it for mainly, and how often do you use it?

2. Are there any tips you can give me to deal with the neck-heavy problem this guitar has?

3. What you like/dislike about the guitar?

4. Have you made any changes to the guitar? If so, why?

5. Lastly, what color do you have?

Mine will be the Heritage Cherry one with chrome hardware. It's a great color, really. Now, the loooooong wait will begin. I called Gibson, but they said they couldn't tell me how long it would take for the guitar to arrive. Because I'm in Europe, they told me it would take a lot longer. I think it's worth the wait [thumbup]

Where are you guys? :-({|=

I'm sorry to say it, but most ordinary working guitar players you run into in a lifetime of guitar playing don't need, therefore don't have, a doubleneck. Yer a rarified bunch for sure.

rct

I suppose so, yeah. I just like the options a guitar like that gives you, and I'm very enthusiastic because I have one coming my way somewhere in 2015. That's the reason for me starting a thread like this.

Question for you, mate. How many EDS-1275 guitars get made a year?

Another question, how does it compare to other niche guitars like the Flying V? They don't get made a whole lot, too, right?

I've played a couple of 1275's, once or twice, over the years. Always thought I'd like one UNTIL I played it.

Too unwieldy, and of limited use/cost ratio IMHO. So, I opted to get a Ric 12 for my "electric" 12-string needs,

and stay with the '61 SG for my SG needs. We have (minimum) 2 guitar players in the bands I play in (often times,

3 or even 4), so anything that needs the "back and forth" between 6 and 12 string, we just arrange for going back

and forth, between players. Works well, for the limited times that it's required.

But, that's just Me! Enjoy your 1275 when you get it. [thumbup]

CB

I was kinda like CB, always thought I wanted one till I played one in a local guitar shop. I was just in awe at the thing. Yes because of how it looked, but also because of was the whole Jimmy Page vibe. I thought it was fun, but couldn't see the practicalities.

I thought that was it for me, but about a year later I managed to get a great deal on an Epi G-1275. Too good a price to NOT buy.

It's a great piece of fun, ad I'm very happy to own it, but I really only use it for kicks when I'm in the house. I've never taken it to a rehearsal or anything because it's too heavy to carry with other guitars and not versatile enough to commit to (ironically).

You made the right choice keeping your SG, I wouldn't say they're the best guitars to use as a "main" guitar till you need it all the time for live stuff maybe, but as something to add to the collection, for sure, it'll be a beauty! The Gibson ones are works of art and they are surprisingly comfortable. Once you totally get used to the control placement you'll have a great time. Enjoy it!

I know that didn't properly answer you, but I hope it helped anyway. :)

I've played a couple of 1275's, once or twice, over the years. Always thought I'd like one UNTIL I played it.

Too unwieldy, and of limited use/cost ratio IMHO. So, I opted to get a Ric 12 for my "electric" 12-string needs,

and stay with the '61 SG for my SG needs. We have (minimum) 2 guitar players in the bands I play in (often times,

3 or even 4), so anything that needs the "back and forth" between 6 and 12 string, we just arrange for going back

and forth, between players. Works well, for the limited times that it's required.

But, that's just Me! Enjoy your 1275 when you get it. [thumbup]

CB

That's interesting. I, too, have played a couple of EDS-1275 guitars over the years. For me, it just added to the desire to one day get one. But that's personal, of course. They are the kind of guitar you really have to work with, and they're not for everyone. You usually play along with other guitarists, whilst I'm often the only one. That makes a big difference, too. And they are just so damn cool! So, I will really enjoy it...when I finally get it. That's the only downside, the looooong wait, but it makes the moment that the guitar finally arrives that much more special.

I was kinda like CB, always thought I wanted one till I played one in a local guitar shop. I was just in awe at the thing. Yes because of how it looked, but also because of was the whole Jimmy Page vibe. I thought it was fun, but couldn't see the practicalities.

I thought that was it for me, but about a year later I managed to get a great deal on an Epi G-1275. Too good a price to NOT buy.

It's a great piece of fun, ad I'm very happy to own it, but I really only use it for kicks when I'm in the house. I've never taken it to a rehearsal or anything because it's too heavy to carry with other guitars and not versatile enough to commit to (ironically).

You made the right choice keeping your SG, I wouldn't say they're the best guitars to use as a "main" guitar till you need it all the time for live stuff maybe, but as something to add to the collection, for sure, it'll be a beauty! The Gibson ones are works of art and they are surprisingly comfortable. Once you totally get used to the control placement you'll have a great time. Enjoy it!

I know that didn't properly answer you, but I hope it helped anyway. :)

As said to CB, I really got more enthusiastic after playing the EDS-1275 a couple of times. I'm also quite realistic with my expectations. It will not be my main guitar. The guitar will be used in about half of the songs I play (covers and self-written music), and it's mainly to enhance my options like no other guitar can. My other guitars (SG en LP) will cover the rest of the songs.

You both did help a lot guys! This sort of input is very welcome. I like to hear about how people have experienced this guitar, and all replies help me a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Mate, how are you.

Love your forum name, sounds like the name of a radio station! [thumbup]

" and, welcome back to WVN Les Paul on 89 FM on your dial, where the hit's just keep on comming...!").

I own two 1275's and love both. I have a white Gibson EDS-1275, and a cherry Epi G-1275. Both excellent.

The Gibby I have modified to the Don Felder way. I had one of the tone pots removed and a stereo 1/4 jack installed there. That's wired for the upper neck. The lower mono 1/4 jack controlls the lower neck. The remaining tone pot is now the Master Tone for all. The vols remain the same. The upper pups are nickel/chrome covered 490R/498T's (standard alnico sisters fit). The lower pups are double black open coil 490R/498T's. Claw distance is normal factory standard. The tuners I changed out to Schallers, upper and lower. Reason being is I used to find it hard to grip a Kluson tuner for say high E/B/G on the upper without my fingers bumping the tuners on low E/A/D on the lower neck and knocking them out of tune by accident. A real pain, so I changed them to something a little more managable. I keep this git both upper and lower in standard 440. The hardware I changed out to all chrome (purely astetic reason. Don't like gold).

The Epi I have also had changed to the Felder way, same as above. Even the pups. Differences are, first off, the claw distance. This one is longer, the Jimmy Page way. Came that way in fact. Pagey swears it increases the sustain. He's Pagey, who am I to argue (lol). And the tuning is different. The upper I keep 440 but the lower I keep in EADADE. Except when I play "The Rain Song", then it's DGCGCD.

And any weird or one of de-tunings that are required, I use this cherry. Like "Gold Dust Woman", DADGBD (double drop D).

The kind of music I use these for is basically 70's style Classic Rock. The usual suspects are in the set-lists. "Hotel California", "Stairway To Heaven", Gold Dust Woman" etc (eagles, zep, mac).

As far as being neck heavy and all, I'm afraid there's not a whole lot you can do about that, nature of the beast. You'll notice when Don and Jimmy play theirs, they tend to raise the neck a little more than their normal 6 strings. That sort of helps a bit, makes it a bit more managable. After a while, you don't really notice it that much. I run two leads out of both of mine too and that does have a tendancy to bring the weight back a bit too. Also, the Epi is a little lighter than the Gibby by about 1.5lb. Don't know how.

And lastly, dislikes. Well, I really struggle to think of anything I actually disilike about them. It's an exceptional design, both very well made, they sound as expected (beautiful), the only bummer being obviously the weight. But, like I said, you do get used to that. And the upper/lower selector switch. Keep an eye on it. It sits right about where your right elbow is and you can accidently knock it from one neck to the other without realising it, or it's too late. And also, the first point that rct made is very true too.

Not much more I can add to that except I hope that helps some. Like I said before, I just love mine, I wouldn't be without them anymore. They're worth having. I think your going to love yours too!

And, patience is a virtue. Makes it all that much sweeter when it finally arrives! lol

I think you've made a good choice mate.

[thumbup]

Oh God, I hate being serious! (lol)

Your point of this type of guitar "enhancing your options" is probably the best way to describe where it fits in the bigger scheme of things. It's not really supposed to be your main 'go to', it's there to 'add to'. And if you have the opportunity to aquire and keep one in your arsenal, then so much the better I think. It's like me having the mandolin and autoharp. Without them, there would be some songs we wouldn't be able to do. Same as the 1275's. Any clearer now? (as mud! lol).

Your point of this type of guitar "enhancing your options" is probably the best way to describe where it fits in the bigger scheme of things. It's not really supposed to be your main 'go to', it's there to 'add to'. And if you have the opportunity to aquire and keep one in your arsenal, then so much the better I think. It's like me having the mandolin and autoharp. Without them, there would be some songs we wouldn't be able to do. Same as the 1275's. Any clearer now? (as mud! lol).

Awesome posts, dude! I will reply to your first post, as soon as I have a little more time. More options is everything to me. Versatility is what people expect of me as a player. Therfore, the EDS-1275 will be a great addition to my collection.

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Mate, how are you.

Love your forum name, sounds like the name of a radio station! [thumbup]

" and, welcome back to WVN Les Paul on 89 FM on your dial, where the hit's just keep on comming...!").

I own two 1275's and love both. I have a white Gibson EDS-1275, and a cherry Epi G-1275. Both excellent.

The Gibby I have modified to the Don Felder way. I had one of the tone pots removed and a stereo 1/4 jack installed there. That's wired for the upper neck. The lower mono 1/4 jack controlls the lower neck. The remaining tone pot is now the Master Tone for all. The vols remain the same. The upper pups are nickel/chrome covered 490R/498T's (standard alnico sisters fit). The lower pups are double black open coil 490R/498T's. Claw distance is normal factory standard. The tuners I changed out to Schallers, upper and lower. Reason being is I used to find it hard to grip a Kluson tuner for say high E/B/G on the upper without my fingers bumping the tuners on low E/A/D on the lower neck and knocking them out of tune by accident. A real pain, so I changed them to something a little more managable. I keep this git both upper and lower in standard 440. The hardware I changed out to all chrome (purely astetic reason. Don't like gold).

The Epi I have also had changed to the Felder way, same as above. Even the pups. Differences are, first off, the claw distance. This one is longer, the Jimmy Page way. Came that way in fact. Pagey swears it increases the sustain. He's Pagey, who am I to argue (lol). And the tuning is different. The upper I keep 440 but the lower I keep in EADADE. Except when I play "The Rain Song", then it's DGCGCD.

And any weird or one of de-tunings that are required, I use this cherry. Like "Gold Dust Woman", DADGBD (double drop D).

The kind of music I use these for is basically 70's style Classic Rock. The usual suspects are in the set-lists. "Hotel California", "Stairway To Heaven", Gold Dust Woman" etc (eagles, zep, mac).

As far as being neck heavy and all, I'm afraid there's not a whole lot you can do about that, nature of the beast. You'll notice when Don and Jimmy play theirs, they tend to raise the neck a little more than their normal 6 strings. That sort of helps a bit, makes it a bit more managable. After a while, you don't really notice it that much. I run two leads out of both of mine too and that does have a tendancy to bring the weight back a bit too. Also, the Epi is a little lighter than the Gibby by about 1.5lb. Don't know how.

And lastly, dislikes. Well, I really struggle to think of anything I actually disilike about them. It's an exceptional design, both very well made, they sound as expected (beautiful), the only bummer being obviously the weight. But, like I said, you do get used to that. And the upper/lower selector switch. Keep an eye on it. It sits right about where your right elbow is and you can accidently knock it from one neck to the other without realising it, or it's too late. And also, the first point that rct made is very true too.

Not much more I can add to that except I hope that helps some. Like I said before, I just love mine, I wouldn't be without them anymore. They're worth having. I think your going to love yours too!

And, patience is a virtue. Makes it all that much sweeter when it finally arrives! lol

I think you've made a good choice mate.

[thumbup]

Oh God, I hate being serious! (lol)

Thanks for that upbeat post of yours, mate. I enjoyed reading it a lot. Given that I have been crazy about the EDS-1275 since I picked up a guitar for the 1ste time, nothing makes me happier than to hear from someone that already owns one (and an Epiphone). Your post is an honest one, too. You're not one of those guys that will only name the pros, without mentioning the cons. And as you said, I will adjust to the cons after a while.

I am very, very curious when the guitar will finally arrive. From what year is yours, the white one? And how did you acquire the guitar? My guitar will take at least 4-5 months to arrive here, since I'm not in the USA. Therefore, it will be a long wait. But I am patient for this particular one, though. It's a great feeling to know it's coming in the future, and it's certainly worth the wait.

Now, I have a couple more questions:

How would you compared the sound of the EDS-1275 (6 string) to say like a Les Paul?

I was told that the neck of the 12 string is a lot less wider on the Gibson versus the Epiphone. Is this true?

What kind of strap do you have, and do you use strap locks?

What strings do you put on your double necks?

Cheers!

haha!lol Yeah, that's the kicker eh. You pick one up for the first time and it's usually love at first strum! It puts it's hook into you and there's nothing you can do about it except buy and own one for yourself. All logic goes out the window! lol. It's good to hear you've got one comming your way finally. It will be an uplifting love affair for sure!

Now, I got both mine second hand. Like new though. So I didn't have to wait a particularly long time for them to arrive. The white Gibby I have no idea the year of it. Got it years ago. The cherry Epi is a fairly recent aquisition, about ten years ago.

The differences between the 1275 6 string neck and say one of my regular LP's is minimal. They feel, play, and sound exactly the same as each other. No difference at all.

And I'm not real sure about the official widths on those necks, but they feel the same as each other, between the Gibby and Epi 12 string necks I mean. I don't have any trouble going between the two at all.

I use a near standard width (2.5") strap made of soft leather and there's a little bit of padding in it too. It's worth investing a little in a good strap for these for obvious reasons. And keep it just for that git. I don't use strap locks, but then again I don't go throwing the 1275's around while playing them either! (lol). I tend to keep it in one comfortable position while playing the song. Not like pagey!!

The 6 string necks get the same strings as my normal LP's. My standard fit has always been 8-38's. D'Addario or Ernie Balls. The 12 string gauge can get a little tricky. Took me a while to figure it out but if you want a good starting point for them here they are. The gauges are as such.

The gauge for the standard strings are, high to low, .010, .013, .020 (wound), .026, .034, .042. The octave strings (the one's that are paired up with them) are. .010, .013, .010, .013, .020 (wound), .026.

That should keep you going until you figure out a particular way you like them.

Just in case you need to know, my acoustic 12 string guitars are all D'Addario EXP38's. Excellent set.

Once again, I hope this helps some there mate, and all the best with your new git. Don't forget, when it arrives, we want pictures and a full players report!! (lol). In the Lounge area of course!

[thumbup]

• 3 years later...

Yes, I've got a beautiful '79 model at a guitar show in Arlington, Texas in the mid nineties. It was standing right next to a Rickenbacker 4080 doubleneck 4/6 like Geddy's black bastard from the 70's. When I saw those two side by side and I was in heaven. I wanted to run up and hug them both. So I did. Like a crazy person hugging a block of cheese. Then suddenly I realized that my heaven was short lived and I was in the Uturn lane because both of those beautiful beasts were the same damn price. Luckily, I chose the right one. If I had gotten the Ric, I woulda never gotten the 4001 I got the following year, which I really wanted anyway. But thats not what you asked.

My EDS 1275 is the brownish color and it's the style without the super long 12 string headstock. It's the shorter, more proportionate kind.

But I forgot your other questions. Oh. The type of music I play with it.

Well I haven't pulled it out of its case in a decade, but most of the stuff I played was kinda like Pantera meets some dude who should be beaten with his own guitar. I would fool around with the tradional songs you're supposed to play with that guitar, but I'd mostly play heavier stuff on the six.

What do I like about it? It's mine. And it is beautiful to look at. I think of it as more of a novelty than a serious addition to your toolbox. Unless you're writing songs like Stairway and California and you need to be able to do them live when you start your world tour.

Or if your in the club scene doing covers. The guitar does add two marks to the universal coolness scale just for having one. And you can pretty much bet that at least 3 drunk guys are gonna say something stupid about the neck to arm ratio.

And as far as being top heavy goes, try stringing about 200 helium filled party balloons. Dither that or a really thick and stiff strap that you've beenwearing since high school on a good heavy Les Paul. Its already bent into position.

And right now theres this sweet little thing standing in front of me, so... Yeah. I'm gonna do what you would do, so I'm signing off.

Later, fellas.

• 1 year later...