Gibson Brands Forums

Strange cracking noise from Epiphone EJ 200CE pickup (Shadow)

gallows666

My 1 year old Epiphone EJ 200CE suddenly giving some cracking (statics like you get on radio, but very loud) kind of sound (very loud) when connected to the amp. I connected with other cable, and other amp but still the sound comes..The sound does not seem to be linked to any touching the knobs or cables or anything.. it just increases it's volume when volume is increased and vice versa.. I tried to see if there are any hanging cables or lose connection inside the body, there was one cable that got it's double-sided tape worn out so I fixed it back on the guitar body (inside) but it didn't help it...

The unique thing is that the sound comes after playing about 5 mins or so.. but once it comes it won't go..

Is it a real problem with the pickup or the connection or do you think all it needs a Contact Cleaner shot ? If yes, how to apply the contact cleaner and where ?

Could it be linked to weather or humidity ?

My 1 year old Epiphone EJ 200CE suddenly giving some cracking (statics like you get on radio, but very loud) kind of sound (very loud) when connected to the amp. I connected with other cable, and other amp but still the sound comes..The sound does not seem to be linked to any touching the knobs or cables or anything.. it just increases it's volume when volume is increased and vice versa.. I tried to see if there are any hanging cables or lose connection inside the body, there was one cable that got it's double-sided tape worn out so I fixed it back on the guitar body (inside) but it didn't help it...

The unique thing is that the sound comes after playing about 5 mins or so.. but once it comes it won't go..

Is it a real problem with the pickup or the connection or do you think all it needs a Contact Cleaner shot ? If yes, how to apply the contact cleaner and where ?

Could it be linked to weather or humidity ?

Possibly a low battery? - current dropping after a little while causing the preamp to become noisy. Switch off and the battery recovers then when you switch on again it gradually loses power again. Does the time before it starts playing up get a little shorter each time?

Possibly a low battery? - current dropping after a little while causing the preamp to become noisy. Switch off and the battery recovers then when you switch on again it gradually loses power again. Does the time before it starts playing up get a little shorter each time?

Thanks, but no... I thought so at first.. and changed the battery immediately, didn't help, the old and new batteries are all Duracell sealed pack and I think are fine .. And even the time when the noise starts isn't reducing or increasing... sometimes I can play upto 15 mins without any noise, but sometimes it would start in 5 mins or playing... I remove the jack and put it back in in immediately, the noise would not come immediately but it WILL come back in about 2-5 mins or so..

no loose wires inside the guitar? Try a new guitar chord? Maybe use some electric cleaner on the input and the wires inside?

Not really, a picture speaks thousand words so I took some photos of inside..

1 - Looking inside the Body from outside, showing the wires from Nanomag to preamp, the the white thing is a double side tape came off from Nanomag connection, but touching it or fixing it on the body didn't help..to be honest, I dont know where it came out from..anyone knows whats the purpose of it ? It has a black paper kind of thing inside and a metal clamp kinda thing..

post-69657-060415800 1419940448_thumb.jpg

2 - Look from Inside the body, the Saddle position to the Preamp - again the white thing is that same double side tape came off from Nanomag connection

post-69657-046880100 1419940488_thumb.jpg

3 - Pickup wire that goes inside the Saddle-Bridge

post-69657-095678300 1419940513_thumb.jpg

4 - Wires going from Saddle pickup and Preamp to Jacks

post-69657-060660700 1419940533_thumb.jpg

5 - Jacks in the back, the Nanomag and Nanoflex ones... the problem comes on both jacks (or rather it's not dependent on which jack I use)

post-69657-059380200 1419940588_thumb.jpg

And here's the sound like

It's normally much louder and more dense between cracks but it wasn't like that when I was set to record the noise.. also, today the guitar was kept connected to the amp for about 6 hrs with all strings out as I had to take the photos inside the guitar.. and no sound came entire time.. but then in the evening it came back after I put back the string . I thought it was related to the strings, but then it's not related to the strings either as I then removed the strings again and the sound was still there! ... driving me crazy

Thinking of buying this http://www.thomann.de/intl/kontakt_chemie_kontakt_60.htm ... but where do I spray ? What if the problem is inside the preamp ?

Dont know if anyone's looking at this post, but today I kept the guitar in the bathroom (=humidity) and the noise didn't come...

I also contacted Thoman (the store i bought it from) and they are happy to have it returned to them for a repair free of cost..

I'm not sure what to do ? I am not sure if the noise not coming now means it's actually been fixed and humidity WAS the problem or it's just a coincidence !

I'm thinking it's linked to Humidity.. The guitar is kept in a 10 x 8 feet room with no windows and a Radiator and we are currently 0 C (32 F), and the noise started coming only around this time (just over a week ago).. The day before yesterday when the noise was pretty much constant, I took the guitar out and kept it in the humid bathroom (after a warm shower and wet clothes drying) and the noise didn't come even after 6 hrs..

And since then there is no noise from the guitar, its been constantly kept plugged-in at different times the entire day yesterday, kept mostly in the living room and even sometimes in the guitar room but NO noise!...So last night I deliberately kept it in the guitar room the whole night to see if that reproduces the noise..will check today.

Thanks for any responses guys.. I have the return shipping label valid for 1 month and may be I WILL indeed use it to send it for a repair, but I'd like to first troubleshoot and understand the pattern myself because if I send it to repair shop it will be very difficult to troubleshoot the issue as it doesn't come all the time.. and if it's linked to humidity it will probably never come at the repair shop.

Yup on the 2-pup esonic.

Mine works like a champ on the Masterbuilt; excellent sound from the two together - but as you noted, some have had problems with a loose wire on the doggone thing. Super concept, but I think the engineering coulda been more than a little better.

m

Shawdows concept is great on the esonic2. I have my issues that I think I have posted here been a bit and I forget . What I find and I have been working one on one with shadow is that QC is the the word of the years .

New parts come falling apart , wiring is weak and frail , the trs jacks are weak mostly the mag one .

I will support shadow but I'll be the first to say they have issues in production control and quality of product all I can speak for is the esonic2 and the many parts I have lying around .

It's hit or miss with E2 . If they upped their game I'd really be willing to use setup on other guitars with out thought.

Thank the almity they give the 5yr warranty. :)

Archived