Gibson Brands Forums

Locking Tuner not working.

Armonia

Hello.

I have a 2014 LP standard plus. I went to change the strings on it yesterday and had trouble with the low E Locking Tuner. The thumb screw/nut underneath the head stock would loosen so the string could be removed but when I installed the new string it would not tighten. It just kept spinning. After messing with it for a while, not taking anything apart all of a sudden it gripped and tighten. I loosened it up again to see if somehow it fixed itself and the same thing happened. It took me about ten minutes messing with it before it gripped again. I am not sure what I did. I just moved the guitar around and such. Anny help on how to fix would be greatly appreciated. All the other locking tuners work fine.

Thanks!

There is no motor. This is a 2014 Standard Plus. The tuner has a chrome wheel on the backside of the headstock. Each tuner has this thumb wheel to lock the string. When I loosen the wheel to remove the string it loosens but when I go to tighten the wheel it just spins and doesn't grab. All the other wheels for the other tuners work fine. After messing with it for a while the wheel did tighten up. I loosen it again to see if it fixed itself and of course it didn't.

On the heavy string it seems that there is just enough thread to tighten locking nut....If the string was much heavier(larger diameter) I don't think locking nut will engage thread.

When your tightening nut push the nut a little so that it will engage thread.....

I have the same tuners on my Sig T.

Thanks.

I figured the same thing. I did try pushing up on the thumb screw as I was tightening it thinking the same thing. Next time I change the string I will also try pulling up on the string to see if I can get it to bite. It is strange. I kept looking at it, turning it over and so on and all of a sudden it caught. Strange.

thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Maybe when you unscrew the locking bit you take it too far down? You should only need to unscrew them a small amount.

Sounds a bit odd.. I have them on my 2008 Standard and have not had that issue (yet :unsure: )...

Maybe when you unscrew the locking bit you take it too far down? You should only need to unscrew them a small amount.

Sounds a bit odd.. I have them on my 2008 Standard and have not had that issue (yet :unsure: )...

That is very possible. How do I fix it?

That is very possible. How do I fix it?

Donno.. Never had it myself.. Im assuming though that once the thread has caught that it will stay in and then just don't undo it so much next time.. The only other thing I can think is that when it first came loose and you re-screwed it in that somehow it didn't go in straight and may have screwed the thread up a bit so it happens each time now?

This is all a guess by the way :)

Hope it helps [thumbup]

Assuming they are Grover, maybe go look on their web site for info, maybe they have a forum too?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived