Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul defect in finish due to pickguard

Hummi

Hi together,

I own a 1994 Les Paul Standard. Recently I deinstalled the pickguard as it was loose a bit. I found a damage on the finish caused by the screw on the pickguard.

Is there a way to install the pickguard without having that issue or do I just have to live with that?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Not sure I understand.

If there was a pickgaurd already, and you want to re-install, what would be the concern using the same hole?

If the hole is loose or stripped, put a toothpick or a sliver of wood in it, and it should hold the screw.

I wouldn't call a hole in the finish "damage" if it is there to hold the pickgaurd.

It sounds like he's talking about a scratch from the bracket screw ON the pickguard, as opposed to the one that goes into the side

of the body. IF that's the case, then the screw itself is too long, or the mounting bracket screw on the side, was

drilled too low, into the body, which caused the screw bottom, going through the pickguard, to touch/scratch the

finish, underneath. Just a guess, on my part, as there are no photos, to see.

CB

Hi together,

I own a 1994 Les Paul Standard. Recently I deinstalled the pickguard as it was loose a bit. I found a damage on the finish caused by the screw on the pickguard.

Is there a way to install the pickguard without having that issue or do I just have to live with that?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

No, this is common on most LP's. Leave the pickguard on and you won't notice it. Remember, they also drill holes for the pickguard, leave it on and you won't see them either.

You can also push a small amount of wood filler or wood glue into the screw hole then replace the screw and it will setup tight around the screw and hold it in place if you get any on the finish just wipe it off first before you screw it in

[thumbup]

It sounds like he's talking about a scratch from the bracket screw ON the pickguard, as opposed to the one that goes into the side

of the body. IF that's the case, then the screw itself is too long, or the mounting bracket screw on the side, was

drilled too low, into the body, which caused the screw bottom, going through the pickguard, to touch/scratch the

finish, underneath. Just a guess, on my part, as there are no photos, to see.

CB

AH...of corse! Makes perfect sense..I forgot about that bolt there.

Hey, quite a lot of answers in that short time. Thanks a lot for that and happy new year to everyone!

Sorry for not having explained the issue precisely. Charlie brown is right, I am talking about the bracket screw which is causing the damage.

Maybe I'll just leave that picguard off...., also the felt thing sounds not bad. Thanks.

I super glue a piece of flat cork on the nut under my pickguard because your hand always hits the pickguard and digs a groove in the top.I make sure not to get any glue in the threads. I run pickguards but a top is a terrible thing to waste.

Hello!

Donny is right - that's what usually happens. Also, on new, softer finishes the edge of the pickguard can scratch the top between the pickups.

In the good old Norlin years they used to have rubber covers.

Bence

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Again, thanks everyone for the help! It took me a while to decide what to do.Finaly i put the Pickguard back on and try not to care about the damage on the finish under it. It's damaged already and as apparanetly most les pauls have it..., why care.

Just to let you know and "close that task".

Archived