Gibson Brands Forums

ideal room settings??

Hi everyone.

I seem to have accumulated quite a few gibsons recently but I'm unsure the best way to keep them in good condition.

They are mostly acoustic but a couple of solids and semis too, around ten guitars.

Any hints and tips? Ideal room temperature? They'll be hanging on the wall...

Cheers

Just as an aside...keep them away from direct air from vents (furnace or A/C) as that can dry out the wood,

and cause cracking, especially in the Acoustic's. If you have a room humidifier, then about 50 percent,

humidity is good/ideal! But, otherwise, what Retrorod said!

CB

Hi everyone.

I seem to have accumulated quite a few gibsons recently but I'm unsure the best way to keep them in good condition.

They are mostly acoustic but a couple of solids and semis too, around ten guitars.

Any hints and tips? Ideal room temperature? They'll be hanging on the wall...

Cheers

well - since you asked...

I know they "look" cool hanging on the walls and stuff, but unless you're able to control that climate, (a constant 50% RH and 68 degrees F) over time, you will risk doing irreversible damage to the wood, bracing, bindings, and glue joints.

I have two very good friends who have managed some serious damaged to some very expensive guitars by doing this. Their lament looking back... "I should have listened to you"

Seriously. they are your instruments, and you can do what ever you wish, but the only advice I have is the safest bet, always keep em in the cases and get proper humidifiers for the acoustics (eg: I use dampits) for the dry winter months.

I have about 20 guitars, 5 acoustics, a few hollow bodies, semis and solids. They are in the cases, in a closet I had designed for storing them. When I'm done with one, back in the case, back in the closet.

I have a few yard sale items that I have collected just for "Wall paper" they add the "look" I like for my studio room, but I honestly don't care if they fall apart. (One was left out on the curb on Trash day for pickup...)

Retro,

I live in Central Massachusetts. In the winter months, (and when it's seriously cold like it is right now) the RH level inside with out any humidifiers to add moisture, is below 20%.

Summer time humidity can be well over 70 / 75%. with out taking any added precautions acoustics especially would be in serious trouble.

But not just acoustics. Fret sprout, dried out fret boards, neck twists, all are in the realm of chance.

Humidity is the biggest challenge - I aim for 45-50% at all times (in the summer Air Conditioning can also dry out a room so a large capacity humidifier is a must year-round. I run a whole house humidifier on the furnace and a large capacity Honeywell humidifier in the music room as well as a backup set 5% lower. If I hear the second one go on -I know it's time to fill up the main one. I've had 20 guitars hanging on my walls - some for over 20 years and have never had a problem - but I'm extremely careful with maintaining the room environment. I'm considering yet another humidifier so each one will only have to run half as hard.

Archived