Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone inspired 1964 Texan

Larsongs

After much research on Forums, YouTube etc. I ordered a new Texan. None of the local Stores had them so I took a chance.

I got the Guitar & it looked great! I plugged it into my Boss TU-2 Tuner & tried to tune it. The needle on the Tuner started jumping all over the place. It was like the Tuner wasn't understanding the signal from the Guitar. I tried another Tuner & the same thing happened. Tried 2 different Monster Cables. Checked the Batteriries & they seemed fine. I did get signal thru Amp & it sounded good. While loosening the Strings to check Battery Compartment the D string unraveled. I thought strings might be old & dead so I put a new set of Gibson master built strings on. Sounded good Acoustically but stil couldn't Tune with either Tuner.

Any idea what is going on? Any advice?

The Seller will exchange if need be but thought I'd check here first.

Thanks,

Lars

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just tried mine with a Fender tuner (actually this is the first time I have used it - I normally use a headstock tuner acoustically). It worked fine. Have you tried fiddling with the tone and volume?

Seems like it likes to be set at 5 for both volume & tone. How about yours? I really like this Guitar. I also have Martins & Gibson Acoustics. The Texan plays right along with them just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever figure out the issue, Lars? I'm wondering if it is something involving the Nanoflex's volume knob or the phase switch.

Whenever I had an issue like that with a TU-2, it was usually because I had inadvertently hit something wrong on the tuner. But the fact it happened with two different types of floor tuners says that's not the problem.

Archived