Gibson Brands Forums

Which one should I buy...Texan or EJ200ce???

Larsongs

I'm split between the 2 of them!

None of the Stores have them so I need to order online.

Which should I get & why?

I play from '50's to now. Rock, Blues, Country, Jazz, Folk etc. Also write & record Originals of various genres.

If you have Videos please Post them as I would like to hear how they sound in real life.

Thanks,

Lars

Hi Lars

Don't have any videos I can post, just really a written testimonnal. I have a 2014 Indonesian IB 1964 Texan and cannot recommend it highly enough!!!!!!

This ^^^...in spades.

With it's solid top and back, it's more guitar for the money. The build is incredible, as is the tone.

Yep and the CE is all laminate. Even it's solid top cousin, the EJ-200SCE doesn't compete with the Texan in my view. If you're looking for a jumbo then at least get the solid top version!

Personally, if I wanted a jumbo, I'd get a clean, used EJ-200S (no longer made). There'd be no electronics, but you wouldn't have a cutaway, you'd have a solid top and a guitar that is much more true to what the old jumbo players used to use.

The 200 can sound nice after changing the nut and the saddle, at least to my ears anyway. Whereas I find Epiphone's current version of the Texan much more polarizing, depending on which side of the fence you sit on in reference to it's sound quality. I'd recommend you make a point of trying whatever you intend to buy rather than spending your money based on hype from overzealous owners.

Morkolo,

Have you ever had your hands on a good IB64 Texan? Find one with really good woods and with a bone nut and saddle and you may find yourself blown away. My Texan is what made me "fall in love" with Epiphone. I was in no way prepared to be impressed when I tried it out, but I was literally sold from the first strum. And this was after 3 decades of refusing to even give the company the time of day. Now here I am posting on the message board on a very regular basis.

Morkolo,

Have you ever had your hands on a good IB64 Texan? Find one with really good woods and with a bone nut and saddle and you may find yourself blown away. My Texan is what made me "fall in love" with Epiphone. I was in no way prepared to be impressed when I tried it out, but I was literally sold from the first strum. And this was after 3 decades of refusing to even give the company the time of day. Now here I am posting on the message board on a very regular basis.

I've tried 6 or 7 in the past year, the first was a major let down seeing as how I read on the forum it was very similar to the AJ500m I had. The others were consistent with the first I tried, meaning very similar to say an AJ220 or AJ100. So have I had my hands on a good IB64 Texan? I would say no, but if there's one thing I've learned is Epiphone acoustics are consistent from one to the next. For example if you put 10 new EJ200's in a room, they'll all pretty much sound the same if they're all setup the same, with the same strings, action, nut/saddle material, etc. Which is a good thing if you like them. So knowing that I would have to assume I had my hands on a good Texan and I was far from impressed.

My AJ220S and my Texan have very different tones and feels. The Texan has that awesomely dry, strong sound that I hear on Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard records. It sounds like what I hear on Tom Petty's Wildflowers album. My AJ-220S does not.

Another gentleman on this board expressed a similar opinion as yours, Morkolo. Then he found a good IB64 Texan and proclaimed that he finally understood what many of us were going on about. He further noted that he "could play it all day," it was literally that good.

....if there's one thing I've learned is Epiphone acoustics are consistent from one to the next.

Well, to a degree. The bracing pattern and general specs will be the same. But the wood in the bracing will be different. All the wood will be different. Same species of wood, but different wood. I'd expect the laminate back on the EJ200ce isn't going to resonate as well as the solid back on the Texan.

I won't get into questions of "better tone" or whatever.

My perspective always is the individual's playing geometry and what he/she is comfortable playing at their own advanced level.

So... I'd say that I'd check the specs of both and figure which is nearer your personal experience in comfort.

OTOH, figure also that scale and how that's attached to the instrument "box" will also make a considerable difference.

Especially AE, there's a lot of opportunity to get some tone variation to fit one's style and preference. But playing most easily and reflexively comes easiest on a guitar that "fits," whether by intent toward that way or whether one finds "it" by accident.

m

I'm split between the 2 of them!

None of the Stores have them so I need to order online.

Which should I get & why?

I play from '50's to now. Rock, Blues, Country, Jazz, Folk etc. Also write & record Originals of various genres.

If you have Videos please Post them as I would like to hear how they sound in real life.

Thanks,

Lars

Buy whichever one speaks to you. It might be worth your while to go to the nearest city or better yet...I would order them BOTH from Sweetwater, play them side by side for 48 hours then return one and just eat the shipping (a small price to pay considering the amount of time you'll spend with the instrument). Sweetwater will bend over backwards to accommodate you. Their customer service is nothing short of amazing.

Just to follow on from what Cliffenstein said. I would never have considered an Epiphone for my next acoustic. I'm really a Martin-man. I have an 00-15, superb guitar but really just for fingerstyle.

If you can get hold of a great IB Texan like mine and Cliff's, you will be truly blessed. I'm on a bit of a 'Springsteen' kick at the moment(mainly Nebraska, Ghost of Tom Joad, Devils and Dust material). And whether using a pick or my fingers/thumbpick it can handle anything i throw at it.

I use partial capos and have tuned down to open Csus tuning. No probs, try one if you like it get it and fill your boots!

You might want to play them first. I returned a EJ200CE because I thought the eSonic 2 system was crap.

The cutaway seemed to affect the sound as well. I have played several Texans and they all sounded good.

Plus, they're a bargain. Just MHO.

I will say that I agree with all that say the Texan is a great A/E, for the money. I also agree with the description that the electric tone of the guitar can be just a tad dry. But I defy anyone to find a better A/E for the money. I got used one for $250, with case and couldn't be happier. I am partial to the soft-shouldered body shape, both for looks and sound. But I'd take one of the Texans over a 160-E any day. Never played a 200, but can't imagine that at the price point, it's a better guitar. If the 200 has the moustache bridge plate (which I cant stand the looks of..., too gaudy), stick with the Texan.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback.

I decided to get the Inspired Texan. I have been playing it a lot. It is very easy to play because it is so similar to my Gibson J160E. Size, shape, Neck & so on. Although it has a very different sound. Brighter with a bit more mid & upper Freq. Tones.

It is very well built. Excellent Fit & Finish. The Electronics sound decent as well.

I like it a lot & would recommend it. Very good Guitar & exceptional value.

I'll try to post some pic's.

Thanks,

Lars

Right on, Lars! Did you get the Antique Natural or the Cherryburst?

That was a tuff choice because they both look so cool. I got the Antique Natural & it looks great.

I want to post some pics. Do I need to resize or anything?

Thanks,

Lars

I want to post some pics. Do I need to resize or anything?

Heh. No need to resize, but the site offers minimal memory, and then it's used up. You have to host the photos elsewhere, then hit the "insert image" button (one of those in the same line as bold, italic, etc.) and paste in the url of where the photo is. It will automatically resize. There are several free photo hosting sites, photobucket.com for one.

Archived