Gibson Brands Forums

late 1960's Gibson SG Cavity covers question

mcplwray

Hi all,

I have restored a 1967 Gibson SG standard using period correct parts and I need a rear cavity cover. Does anyone know if a rear cavity cover off of a late 60's EB3 bass will fit? Are they interchangeable? It looks to me like they are. Both are the 5 hole style.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi all,

I have restored a 1967 Gibson SG standard using period correct parts and I need a rear cavity cover. Does anyone know if a rear cavity cover off of a late 60's EB3 bass will fit? Are they interchangeable? It looks to me like they are. Both are the 5 hole style.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

It looks like they will, however the curvature around the round side that would go to the outside edge of the guitar looks slightly different. I doubt Gibson would make two different cavity covers, though. Just make sure it is from a 1965 or later like you mentioned, looks like 1964 was a totally different bass in that area from briefly looking through Google.

I don't have a'67 Standard. But I can tell you that a '69 EB-3 & a '71 SG Special are identical. The covers are molded & are from the same mold, as far as I can tell.

CavCovs_zpsb153b342.jpg

They look a bit different in the photo, but I actually took them out & swapped them to be sure.

Archived