Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying this Gibson?

Xact1

Hi all, I recently purchased this guitar. I did get a nice deal so I'm not worried about the outcome of authenticity, so feel free to provide me your best analysis.

I checked the serial number from the neck and it appears to be a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Custom, made in Nashville. However, I believe that the body is not Gibson but Epiphone. The body finish appears to be polyurethane.

The pickups are EMG and of course not stock. The previous owner did state that, when he removed the original pickups, there was a Epiphone label inside the body. I don't want to remove the pickups at this time, but I would if that is required for more information.

The guitar does appear to have been done 'factory' but I certainly would not know for sure.

Did Gibson at one time use necks on Epiphone bodies?

Please help me to solve this puzzle.

Thanks to all!

post-69763-089278000 1420474476_thumb.jpg

post-69763-075884300 1420474534_thumb.jpg

post-69763-004680600 1420474973_thumb.jpg

post-69763-070417400 1420475005_thumb.jpg

post-69763-058233300 1420475034_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Sad to say, Your guitar is another typical chinese fake.

If it was sold to You as a genuine Gibson - it's a criminal offense. Report the seller to the authorities.

Best wishes... Bence

Thanks Bence, I did not pay a lot for this guitar so I'm not upset. It plays well enough for me until I get better!

Can you elaborate more? Is the neck Gibson? What do you see that alerted you to it being a Chinese model?

Hello!

Not even the neck is Gibson. If You compare the details of the guitar with the official photos, whole bunch of clues will tell You it's a fake.

598291a4-f0f8-420a-ab03-eec02ae5ad7a.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

The headstock shape: the area around the logo is too long (from the machine heads to top of the headstock). Customs only came with rosewood fingerboard after 2011. Chinese Customs always come with rosewood 'board. No nibs. The "double-diamond" inlay is too small.

Truss rod cover, pickup selector ring are wrong.

The bridge is Epi-like with sloted adjusting posts - a Gibson never has such.

The serial number is outlined with paint - not on Gibsons.

...and so on...

Best wishes... Bence

Archived