Gibson Brands Forums

Lemon oil rules

Rabs

Nice! There are many good oils out there. Ed Boyle, owner of Fret Doctor, sent me these before and after pictures.

WreckedChrisIsaac027.jpg

WreckedChrisIsaac009.jpg

I'm no guitar repair expert but i think that guitar needs a little more than fret doctor oil! [biggrin]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing I see is just a reinstall of the hardware, pup, pots, 'n stuff like that there. Also, with about 1/2 of the soundboard back to just natural wood, free of the stifling effects of a finish [rolleyes], it should sound pretty good.

I'm always reading about guitars being "tools" and a little scratch or war wound adds MOJO. This damn things got more mojo than most Voodoo Dr. though!! [biggrin] [biggrin]

Aster

Is there some sort of article on lemon oil not being absorbed by rosewood and ebony that I'm not aware of?

This is a must read. I've known Ed Boyle for years now, and yes he sells Fret Doctor. He's also a chemist and a very honest man; trust me he's not make a fortune on his stuff, which he pretty much sells out of his house. He states:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mineral oil merely coats the surface, giving it a bright sheen, but does not penetrate the wood. This oil prevents absorption by a plant oil after the fact. This includes most bore oils, but not all. Read the label. Most so-called fretboard treatments and bore oils are no more than inexpensive mineral oil with a scent added, like lemon.

Be aware that most "Lemon oils" are no more than lemon-scented mineral oil, as are most bore oils. Real lemon oil is steam distilled from lemon peel, is quite acidic, with a pH of 3.7 to 4.2. It is an effective cleaner, but wipe it off when you are finished.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Note that he never says that mineral oil or true lemon oil is bad.

Down here we are taught from a very early age to play the game of Cricket. And like tradition dictates, all cricket bats are oiled down with Linseed oil. Our bats are made from Willow, a similar wood to Maple. This linseed oil does a beautiful job of keeping the bats supple. And since I was a kid, I've always used this oil on my necks and fretboards. And I still have guitars from the mid '70's.

Has anyone else considered using this instead of the lemon oil?

Down here we are taught from a very early age to play the game of Cricket. And like tradition dictates, all cricket bats are oiled down with Linseed oil. Our bats are made from Willow, a similar wood to Maple. This linseed oil does a beautiful job of keeping the bats supple. And since I was a kid, I've always used this oil on my necks and fretboards. And I still have guitars from the mid '70's.

Personally I use it to darken the board a bit... not claiming it does much else really....

And is not something im that bothered about. That was the first time ive ever used it on one of my own guitars... And it was just cos I happened to have the lemon oil to hand while I was changing the strings so thought why not...

Its certainly not an essential thing to do to a guitar by any means.

M.P.

I do a fair amount of woodworking (hobbyist for the most part). Most of that skill transfers to guitars, not all however. Linseed oil is a great product just like Tung Oil. However, both Linseed & Tung can cause some level of "gummy" effects. Both have to be rubbed in pretty hard & with heat from friction (almost burned somewhat if you understand what I mean). That's what makes both produce a hard finish on wood which is desired vs. Urethane or similar. Long & short of it I wouldn't use either on my guitar fret board

Lemon oil is really "gum" free and can be somewhat of a solvent if excessive. This has been pointed out, but I suspect you'd almost have to soak a neck in it for it to dissolve the glue holding the inlays. Real pure lemon oil is non-toxic. Much you'll find on the market is lemon scented petrolatum distillates however. E.G. Old English and many other brands. Find pure Lemon Oil and it costs MUCH more and is worth it, to me anyway.

Hope that helps some.

Aster

IIRC, most of the "Lemon Oil" specific to guitars isn't really lemon oil. Most are mineral oil with lemon scent or similar. Please don't ask for a cite ...

EDIT: posted too soon ... Aster already mentions this

Just curious about the title of the thread Rabs. Are you referring to the rules for applying lemon oil, or making a claim that "lemon oil rules"? :-k:rolleyes:

I makes the board darker and smells nice !! :)

On a side note after all of the points raised I do have one question though.. Some people on here seems to think it does not much what so ever.. So my question is that clearly it darkens the board due to moisture.. If it hadn't sunk into the wood at all, why does it stay dark?

If say you were to wipe it with water to clean the board it would darken a bit then it would dry up again.. This is clearly not the case for the guitar I used it on, as its still darker than it was a week later?

I don't use lemon oil,I use gibson fretboard conditioner. That aside it not only darkens the wood and beatifies it,it makes it softer to the touch & nicer feel when I play. I just did all 16 guitars last week.

Not knocking the product, but I think this is on the label:

Gibson "Luthiers Choice" Fretboard Conditioner = "Caution! Contains petroleum distillates" I would have to check on it but it may be mineral oil or some other petroleum product. If it's "non-toxic" on the label it's prolly real lemon oil (extracts).

Aster

Not knocking the product, but I think this is on the label:

Gibson "Luthiers Choice" Fretboard Conditioner = "Caution! Contains petroleum distillates" I would have to check on it but it may be mineral oil or some other petroleum product. If it's "non-toxic" on the label it's prolly real lemon oil (extracts).

Aster

Yep!

grabbed_1421284304.png

grabbed_1421284651.png

I use mineral oil. Lemon oil and every other fretboard oil I've ever seen an MSDS for says it has a mineral oil base. That's what "petroleum distillates" are. It works good, plus it advertises itself as a good intestinal lubricant, and you never know when you'll need that! Like four bucks for a pint at your local pharmacy.

I'm going to buy a drum of this stuff and rebottle it as "Shredmaster" oil. Available in lemon or beer breath.

Mineral-Oil.jpg

I use mineral oil. Lemon oil and every other fretboard oil I've ever seen an MSDS for says it has a mineral oil base. That's what "petroleum distillates" are. It works good, plus it advertises itself as a good intestinal lubricant, and you never know when you'll need that! Like four bucks for a pint at your local pharmacy.

I'm going to buy a drum of this stuff and rebottle it as "Shredmaster" oil. Available in lemon or beer breath.

Mineral-Oil.jpg

hahahhahhaaha!

Make sure you charge $42.50 an ounce! ;~)

A good lemon oil DOES have some mineral oil (or other natural oil stock) in it. Mineral oil will work, but for me and my wood projects (with fretboards) I do find that the lemon oil (non-toxic & non-flammable) just makes for a better finish with less greasy feeling. Kind of like when you find a great hand lotion that works on dry skin w/o turning you into "ol' butterfingers" every time you pick something up.

Also, with the lemon citrus it has a good "cleaner" effect w/o being harsh. If really nasty fretboards the Naptha first is a good cleaner if you have been inclined to eat buttery popcorn or pizza, and then play your guitar.

Not a bad plan Blues on the repackaging idea. You have to charge a lot or people don't have any respect is seems. [biggrin]

Aster

P.S. Weiman or Parker & Bailey makes some pretty good stuff if anyone want to look into non-petroleum Lemon Oil. At least my last bottles (a few years old now) were great products.

So many opinions on this [confused]

I read a few years ago that overoiling the fretboard was as bad, if not worse, than not oiling it. So, for the past few years, I do each fretboard about once a year. I've been using Gerlitz Guitar Honey, but I see that it too is another in a long list of "who really knows" what's in it stuff. All I can say is, once a year has been fine. I apply a thin coat, let sit for a few minutes, and wipe off with paper towels. Works so far.

That Formby's "Lemon Oil" that the guy is using in the video has paraffin oil, a solvent and a proprietary oderant in it. No lemon oil. Paraffin oil is the same thing as mineral oil. You can call those products lemon oil, they're just not.

I've never seen, used, smelt or dealt real lemon oil. Somebody show me a fretboard cleaner that doesn't have mineral oil in it. Cummon - I dare you!

:rolleyes:

Archived