Gibson Brands Forums

Lemon oil rules

Rabs

Yeah ok its really just an excuse to post pics of my lovely 2008 Standard which got a nice cleaning and new strings today :)

But also to show (in case anyone didn't know by now) what a great job Lemon Oil does on freshening up your fretboard.

So heres a before you can see its petty dry

DSC_0805_zpsb2e49fc4.jpg

and after :)

DSC_0820_zps70270c8b.jpg

DSC_0819_zps3595f817.jpg

Sweet :)

DSC_0835_zpse5dce317.jpg

DSC_0828_zps03231458.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree...I was just given a bottle with a neat applicator top. I changed the neighbors strings for him (newbie) and he gave me the bottle because his guitar has a maple neck. I used it on my J200, and it did a good job of not only cleaning the wood, but revitalizing it.

Sweet. I like the black trims/knobs with the wine much better than creme

Cheers guys :)

And yes.. this is how it looked when I bought it.. its the only time ive modded one of my Gibsons like that.. But that top needed to be seen as much as possible :)

DSC01280.jpg

What do you use to rub in the Lemon Oil?

I've used 3x0 or 4x0 steel wool when refinishing furniture but I think that would be too coarse for the rosewood or ebony neck.

Of course, if a guitarist chooses to eat french fries while playing guitar, he may need 2x0 steel wool to get the grease off the frets.

What do you use to rub in the Lemon Oil?

I've used 3x0 or 4x0 steel wool when refinishing furniture but I think that would be too coarse for the rosewood or ebony neck.

Of course, if a guitarist chooses to eat french fries while playing guitar, he may need 2x0 steel wool to get the grease off the frets.

Well I just use some cloth...

I have a cotton bed sheet that I cut up in to pieces and I use that.. I also use that to put on stains and tru oil.. But you could use an old t-shirt or something..

The key for me is it has to be lint free.. If you use one of those yellow type polishing cloths on the fretboard it leaves loads of small annoying bits behind.

Mhhhh looks juicy!

One little question, I read somewhere that oiling too much can disolve the glue of the inlays, so they suddenly pop out!

Sounds like an urban myth to me.

And well, I rub it gently in with my fingers and then wait a few minuts. After that I clean the excess with a cotton cloth.

I'm currently applying lemon oil to the neck of my Ovation. I'm also using it on the headstock and the bridge. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! I can't wait to get the phosphor/bronze strings on it and use it on the gig Saturday night. I've always used electric strings (10s) on the guitar...these are 12s. Should make for a fatter sound. The guitar now looks brand new...even tho its 23 years old. [thumbup] It made the neck of the J200 look great and also one of my LPs.

I can't wait to get the phosphor/bronze strings on it and use it on the gig Saturday night.

Hey Bill, where ya playing Sat night? We're playing in your neighborhood (World of Beer Villages) again and maybe I can catch you afterwards if it's nearby. Love to repay the favor. [thumbup]

Crap - I shoulda PM'd that. Didn't mean to hijack, Rabs. Sorry. Lemon oil rules! Been using it for 30 years.

Works for me. First started using it in a "Tres Amigos" guitar care kit YEARS ago. Came with lemon oil for the fret board & bridge and a really pure Carnuba wax for the nitro wood. Still have some as it lasts forever.

Beautiful guitar BTW. I do like the black w/ white clear knobs much better than the gold ones!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Aster

i dunno, i think it's pretty funny how guitar players choose to ignore things like science when it comes to certain things about the guitar. snake, errrrr i mean lemon oil is one of those. you can rub that crap all over your own necks if you want to. i'll take a pass. besides the fact that at least 90% of you never keep a guitar long enough to dry it out anyhow.

ive been playing on and off for 35 yrs. never, not even one time ever, have i ever put lemon oil on a fretboard, or needed to. i think if i can get by that long without it, that's another strong indicator that it's voodoo.

About once a year I will apply Old English to my rosewood fretboard guitars when I do a string change. I just put a drop on each fret and rub it in by hand, then wipe it off with a paper towel after a few minutes. I'm not sure if it actually does anything or not, but it certainly never hurt anything and kinda smells good too. :rolleyes:

If it is useless then I've wasted about 5 minutes of my year, and I've had the same bottle of Old English for at least 8 years, so someone can calculate how much money I've wasted..... B)

i dunno, i think it's pretty funny how guitar players choose to ignore things like science when it comes to certain things about the guitar. snake, errrrr i mean lemon oil is one of those. you can rub that crap all over your own necks if you want to. i'll take a pass. besides the fact that at least 90% of you never keep a guitar long enough to dry it out anyhow.

ive been playing on and off for 35 yrs. never, not even one time ever, have i ever put lemon oil on a fretboard, or needed to. i think if i can get by that long without it, that's another strong indicator that it's voodoo.

You have to add a few drops of chicken blood - from a specific breed of chicken - in order to get the benefits.

The only rule: Do NOT handle a Ouanga while applying the oil!

Archived