Gibson Brands Forums

1961 custom sg

Tony611

Hi all. I've been looking around to see what kind of pickup combos are available and found a 1961 Gibson custom sg with 3 identical humbuckers. I'm not real familiar with electric guitars so my question is what is the advantage of having 3 of the same pickups.

There is a fair bit of tonal variation between the three pickup positions. But I agree: I would change up the PU in different positions.

If you get bored with her, I am a 3-PU-SG kinda' guy!

Berd

Hi all. I've been looking around to see what kind of pickup combos are available and found a 1961 Gibson custom sg with 3 identical humbuckers. I'm not real familiar with electric guitars so my question is what is the advantage of having 3 of the same pickups.

There is a fair bit of tonal variation between the three pickup positions. But I agree: I would change up the PU in different positions.

If you get bored with her, I am a 3-PU-SG kinda' guy!

Berd

Thanks Berd. I actually have a Peavy Raptor EXP. But I haven't played it very much. It's a cheap used guitar that I traded for and I've been having issues with it. It doesn't sound all that great and I'm afraid that I will former some bad habits while I'm still learning to play. I've read several forums that advise against forming bad habits because it is so hard to break them. I hope to upgrade at some point but my budget want let me at this point. I want to do my homework on it before I put that kind of money into it.

An amazing looking guitar. A buddy came across one, but has some issues with the surface finish scuffing easily. Worried it was a knock off.

Any insight on the finish?

You might check out the "Captain Kirk Douglas" Gibson (USA) SG Custom, if you get the chance.

A great guitar, at a very reasonable price (at least, where I got mine)! And LOT's of tonal

variations, as well.

468281be-7098-46c0-b59a-dea1c21e8fc9_zps594585de.jpg

CB

Weren't you going to post a few pics of your '61...?

Archived