Gibson Brands Forums

1956 ES125 tailpiece?

sonbrst

I recently purchased an ES-125. The shop had it labeled as a 1961, but the number inside the f-hole starts with a V, and according to a couple of websites that makes it a 1956. (True?) I've done Internet searches for 1956 ES-125s, and the ones I've seen all have the trapeze tailpiece with the diamond, but mine is the one pictured. I did see that tailpiece on an ES-125 on E-bay that was listed as a 1958. So does anyone know when Gibson used this particular tailpiece? Does that tailpiece support this guitar being a 1956? Thanks!

post-69650-094817200 1420584281_thumb.jpg

A ....V FON prefix would correspond to a 1956. Correct. The tailpiece could be from another era. I think the 'diamond' tailpiece would be original to this guitar. Jes'sayin'

I am not sure "when and if" that tailpiece was used on Gibson?

Do you see evidence (screw-holes) that the tailpiece has been re-placed?

I chased around to find a period correct tailpiece for my '57 ES-125T 3/4 and finally tracked one down through a very reputable vintage parts dealer. Nickel diamond version was a match. I still want to jump out a window every time I think of the day I sold it.

A ....V FON prefix would correspond to a 1956. Correct. The tailpiece could be from another era. I think the 'diamond' tailpiece would be original to this guitar. Jes'sayin'

I am not sure "when and if" that tailpiece was used on Gibson?

Do you see evidence (screw-holes) that the tailpiece has been re-placed?

retrorod: I see no evidence that the tailpiece was replaced in terms of different screw holes, and the shape of the tailpiece where it is screwed in matches the shape of the diamond tailpiece on another Gibson I own. From the tailpieces's dingy appearance, I wouldn't guess that it's newer than 56, but maybe you are right and for some reason the original one got replaced at some point with an older one. Has anyone ever see a tailpiece like that on ANY Gibson?

Wierdly enough, Sonbrst, That looks exactly like the tailpiece I removed and sold when I swapped it out for the diamond version. Either an amazing coincidence or there are quite a few like that out there. The holes all lined up perfectly with mine as well.

I've seen quite a few 125's with your tailpiece, and I think it's original. The ones with the diamond are more prevalent, but the type you have are too often seen to be a coincidence. I just did a google image search, and a fair percentage of the results feature your tailpiece. I think it's a slightly older design (has that art deco look to it). It also seems to be common on the ES-140 model (and perhaps other lower grade models).

I've seen quite a few 125's with your tailpiece, and I think it's original. The ones with the diamond are more prevalent, but the type you have are too often seen to be a coincidence. I just did a google image search, and a fair percentage of the results feature your tailpiece. I think it's a slightly older design (has that art deco look to it). It also seems to be common on the ES-140 model (and perhaps other lower grade models).

Thanks! I like the idea that I have something relatively rare. Also, I found a pdf of an old Gibson catalog online that one website listed as the 1955 catalog and another site said was the 1956 catalog. It had drawings of all the guitars instead of photos, so the detail wasn't crystal clear, but the vertical lines on the tailpiece would seem to represent the one I have. I've attached the photo.

One last question: I mentioned that it looks kind of dingy; is there a way to polish it without causing any kind of damage? Thanks.

post-69650-084620400 1420724931_thumb.jpg

I agree that the catalog image shows your tailpiece, which reinforces my opinion that it's original to your guitar.

As far as cleaning/polishing, I'm sure there are probably a number of good options. Personally, I tend to be conservative about such things. If it's very dirty (it doesn't really appear to be, in the first photo you posted), I would certainly want to clean it up, however I wouldn't want to try to make it look like new. A guitar that's 58 years old should have a patina, and that includes the hardware, in my view. I would begin by gently rubbing/buffing with a soft cloth. If that doesn't bring satisfactory results, I might try something slightly more abrasive, like a paper towel. It's up to you how shiny you may want to make it, and I would defer to others with regard to polishing substances (I very rarely use them).

Great topic! Seems to me that Gibson used several different tailpieces on 125's and 140's thru the 40's,50's and 60's.

Perhaps, Jedzep and sonbrst your guitars have(had) the original tailpiece to the guitar...??

Seen them on various models from different years>

http://www.ebay.com/...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This guitar looks to be in great shape! The finish on the back of the neck is a 'turn-off' however. The dude must have had extreme "acid sweat" on his hands [scared]

Archived