Gibson Brands Forums

My Texan

sakorick

I own an Epiphone Texan SN058165 manufactured in 1967. My brother rest his soul, traded my 12 string electric Rickenbacker for this Texan while I was in Vietnam. At any rate he had ruffed it up pretty good and left it overnight in the trunk of his car when the temperature went to 20 <zero. The finish shattered but it still plays great, however, in my old age I have decided to have it restored. Is this a good idea? It really needs to be professionally cleaned and set up as well. Any recommendations on where to send it and what to ask for? I was going to purchase a new one until I saw the prices! Here are some pictures. Regards, Rick.

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e1.jpg

e6.jpg

e5.jpg

Usually, refinishing a guitar will lower its value as a collectible when you choose to sell it. It sounds like to you, though, the Texan's value is more of the sentimental nature, so it's up to you which is more important. Like LPS1976, I think it looks great the way it is.

Red 333

Usually, refinishing a guitar will lower its value as a collectible when you choose to sell it. It sounds like to you, though, the Texan's value is more of the sentimental nature, so it's up to you which is more important. Like LPS1976, I think it looks great the way it is.

Red 333

Thanks guys.......I've decided to leave the guitar as is. It does need new strings. I have lost some dexterity in my left hand and think perhaps some lighter strings would help. Your recommendations appreciated.

I own an Epiphone Texan SN058165 manufactured in 1967. My brother rest his soul, traded my 12 string electric Rickenbacker for this Texan while I was in Vietnam. At any rate he had ruffed it up pretty good and left it overnight in the trunk of his car when the temperature went to 20 <zero. The finish shattered but it still plays great, however, in my old age I have decided to have it restored. Is this a good idea? It really needs to be professionally cleaned and set up as well. Any recommendations on where to send it and what to ask for? I was going to purchase a new one until I saw the prices! Here are some pictures. Regards, Rick.

e2.jpg

e3.jpg

e1.jpg

e6.jpg

e5.jpg

Take it to a luthier and ascertain if the bracing is solid and intact and that the neck set angle is acceptable. If no issues are present have someone buff up the frets and tweak the truss rod and be good to go. PLEASE don't do anything to the finish. It's beautiful as it is and anything you do will detract from and lessen that beauty and more importantly, the instrument's monetary value. FT-79 Texans (and J-45/J-50 Gibson versions)are mid-line, basic acoustic guitars whose magic is that simplicity of design.Remember that this is a nearly fifty year old instrument. If you want something shiny and new looking, for less than the cost of a neck re-set you can buy a modern Asian version that will give you about 80% of the vintage guitar for about 15% of the cost. There wasn't a lot of complexity of manufacture and the materials were quality but not remarkable so it is possible to replicate the guitar using modern manufacturing at quite a reasonable cost but it's impossible to replicate fifty years of vibe and mojo.

I found a shop in Independence who will inspect, clean, check frets, oil the tuners, bridges etc etc. for $50 bucks + the cost of new strings. He says he can tweak it to match what how it was rigged when it left Kalamazoo. He also recommended to leave it alone if structurally sound....which I'm sure it is. I live in NC Missouri and have minor surgery scheduled next Wednesday at the KC VA so all is good. I appreciate the candid recommendations. It would seem that old guitars and old guns have a lot in common.

FT-79 Texans (and J-45/J-50 Gibson versions)are mid-line, basic acoustic guitars whose magic is that simplicity of design.

And they're very highly prized, judging from a few ebay examples.

[Edit to add: The old ones, that is. The 1960s models can go for $3K - $10K or more. The new reissue inspired by 64 Texans are also prized pretty highly by their owners, but they're incredibly priced at $400 brand new, so used ones are less than that.]

Beautiful guitar The best person that I know of in our area is Keith George. I have had him check and work on my guitars and he does fantastic work, for many of the local guitar shops (I live in Prairie Village KS) Guitar Dock in Lenexa could get you his number and set up for him. I also would leave the finish alone, and just look at the structure. Have a blessed night.

So I guess there's not much you can do with that chewed up headstock?

What we can see of the headstock looks fine to me.

Typical finish checking, minimal chipping.

Structural stability is the key criteria for an instrument like this.

Then of course, do you like the tone & playability.

The shop is going to go over the guitar and check for any issues which I don't suspect there are any. The Epiphone sounds the same as it did in 1968 with a strong bass and a nice ring in the treble. I feel real good about things at this point. Regards, Rick.

It turns out there is a problem with the bridge. The luthier is working on it now. Other than that the guitar is in excellent condition and he says it will be ready some time next week. Both of the guys that work there are really impressed with the finish. I'm glad you all recommended to leave it alone. Regards, Rick.

Archived