Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Gibson SG 70's Tribute

RevDavidLee

Just received from the frozen FedEx man. The guitar needs to thaw out a bit before I fire her up. I'm really looking forward to trying out the Dirty Fingers pups! Although this is the 5th SG in my brothel - none of the others have these pickups so I'm looking forward to this girl. In the meantime I took some photos for your viewing pleasure. The finish is stellar and looks deep and delicious as you can see from the photos. Scored this from Sam Ash for $589 (with gig bag - a hard case is on the way from a separate vendor). These are normally $599 but since I registered with Sam Ash they gave me $10 off my 1st order (woo hoo) :rolleyes: But hey - ten bucks is ten bucks. [thumbup]

Anybody else jump on one of these? If so please holler and let me know how you like it. For now - here's some pics.

GibsonSG70sTribute_zpsc80d4c6e.jpg

GibsonSG70sTributeBody_zpsd0bea93b.jpg

GibsonSG70sTributeHeadstock_zpscd4b74a6.jpg

GibsonSG70sTributeBack_zpsbc75c54a.jpg

Ouch, I am fighting hard not to buy one of those.

But seeing the pics of yours dosn't help!

I love everything about yours, looks awesome.

And would be perfect for some of the Metal stuff I want to play.

And if I dont like the DF's, still got a set of 490/498 lying around.

And a quick question here how does she feel/sound compared to your other SG's?

Lol, if I order before this month ends I get the same discount like you got on yours.

Realy nice, enjoy it.

Greetz Marcos

Ouch, I am fighting hard not to buy one of those.

But seeing the pics of yours dosn't help!

I love everything about yours, looks awesome.

And would be perfect for some of the Metal stuff I want to play.

And if I dont like the DF's, still got a set of 490/498 lying around.

And a quick question here how does she feel/sound compared to your other SG's?

Lol, if I order before this month ends I get the same discount like you got on yours.

Realy nice, enjoy it.

Greetz Marcos

After playing thru this one all last evening I really like the Dirty Fingers pups. They are surprisingly good for classic rock & also blues surprisingly on some of the reviews I read which some people just hated them & said they were no good for those genres. Of course I don't know what amps those folks were playing through & not everyone likes the same things which is perfectly fine & understandable.

Compared to my other SG's is hard to describe as I've only had this one for such a short time but she does have a different voice because of the pups - in a good way as I wanted it to give me a different tone - that having been said you can still tell it's an SG because it's a hot tone machine! The feel of this one is just wonderful - I love the grain & the woodiness of the finish - very resonant & sustain is juicy. For comparative details I also own an SG Standard, an SG Supreme, an SG-Z and an SG 60's Tribute (with P-90's) which has the same open grain finish & feel as the 70's tribute. Very resonant, very juicy.

To me, my justification was simple - given Gibson's 29% price increases - that you can buy a Gibson SG with this set up & this fit & finish and flawless feel & playability for under $600 was a no brainer purchase. It's well worth the price & a real keeper for many reasons. I really really like this one. [wub]

Okay check this out. Just got one of those Sam Ash emails advertising a clearance sale and they're advertising a "price drop" on the Gibson SG 70's tribute for $899. There is one difference between this one (link below) and the one I bought - this one has the e-tune system. Mine doesn't. Am I seeing an extra $300 for the same guitar because of that obnoxious e-tune crap??? Here's the link:

http://www.samash.com/guitar-clearance/gibson-sg-70s-tribute-min-etune-electric-guitar-gsgtr7rx

What is equally strange is that they're still advertising the 70's tribute SG above for $599 as well. Weird. And perhaps dumb? [unsure]

Nice new guitar, Rev! Loving the open grain!

I agree with Charlie about the nut (never got to liking black plastic) but a lovely bit o' kit!

I agree - that black plastic nut is going to have to go. Thankfully there's a certified Gibson warranty repair center here in town (not that this is a warranty issue - I'll have to pay for the change out but that's okay) and I wouldn't trust anyone else here to change that nut out for me but those guys so all is good. :)

Oh yeah I'd always get work like that done with a proper Gibson tech. There's one near me, and I've also made friends with a local luthier who has replaced the nuts of both my LP's, with some fine workmanship. Things like wiring and pickups; I am happy to do. Things that involve glue; that goes to a pro!

Archived