Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Cougar

Man, it's been tough not mentioning the two EF500RAVS's that have been sitting on ebay for the last week. These do not come up often, and here there were two running about the same time. Sorry, but I didn't want to tip anybody off, since I was going for that first one. I can tip you off now -- there's another one there for the next 15 hours or so.

So to join the Maple PNS and the mahogany MNS, now I've got another solid rosewood back and sides to complete the EF harem trio. It's said to be in excellent condition. And it's vintage sunburst, which I think makes all the difference with the look of all that abalone.

I threw in a single bid for the starting price so the buy-it-now would go away, then I sat back and waited. Nobody else bid until there was 1 hour left; then there were a couple of unenthusiastic bids. I waited. I put in my 'real' bid with about 12 seconds left. There were two other snipers (maybe one of you guys?); one put his bid in with 2 seconds left. Gutsy! But they didn't know Cougar was on the hunt. That baby's mine!

And here's a little bonus. This guitar comes with fossilized walrus ivory bridge and bridge pins. That was a new one on me! Had to do a little research there. Now the anticipatory wait. Here's a pic from the auction....

ravs02.jpg

It sure does look a lot better then the one I got lol or had . I hope she sounds as good as she looks . I'm finding the from the f one I have and few I've played that they don't project very well I'm not sure why.

I know the Guild I had for a bit was much better then the EF and I'm sorry, not trying to bash Epi . I sure wish my EF Looked as nice as yours I'd still might have it .

So when do we get to hear the magic of this beauty ?

Thanks, GL. Yeah, I'm pretty excited.

So when do we get to hear the magic of this beauty ?

Well, I'll get it probably mid to late next week. Then photos. Then recording. I have a week to learn how to play guitar.

Just kidding. I know how to play. Not real well, but I've been playing more lately, and practice makes... not perfect, but at least better. ;)

Thanks, GL. Yeah, I'm pretty excited.

Well, I'll get it probably mid to late next week. Then photos. Then recording. I have a week to learn how to play guitar.

Just kidding. I know how to play. Not real well, but I've been playing more lately, and practice makes... not perfect, but at least better. ;)

Well I gunna put in a cheap plug and invite anyone to come and check us out www.twotrackmusic.com

were a small group more like family but we love to hear new music and skill level means nothing we'll even collab with you or anyone if one likes what we like is to have fun laugh and make sad jokes and one liners from Monty python and others LOL

we're a slow low traffic isolated group that respect each other and have known each other for years .

I'm only plugging this because we love to share music and I haven't see that here though I am still new here ( no disrespect meant ) just another bookmark LOL .. maybe hahahaha :)

So C I look forward to hearing this new guitar when ya get it done :)

Wow !!!!, that's a beauty...Congratz [thumbup] Also, good job on Sniping on e bay..lol I'm totally envious now.

Thanks all for the good vibes. It's freakish there were two on ebay at once. There were none at all for the month before that.

[sorry, heh, this was written earlier today:]

Oh, right now that other one has 10 minutes left.... It's still sitting at 1 bid, about 80 bucks lower than the starting bid for mine. I hadn't noticed the 1st bidder had a zero ebay score. A single lucky fellow with 334 transactions and 100% feedback bid with zero seconds left (just showing off, I guess), and took it for 10 bucks over the starting price, about $180 less than I paid for mine! He got a great deal! I'm not one bit regretful, though. They're different guitars and I'm happy with mine at the price I paid for it.

Ebay is a game theory environment. There's no benefit to providing other bidders any information (such as a bid) before it's too late for them to do anything about it (like bidding higher). I just bid high in this case. No trick to that. There are also some low-ball deals out there. Awhile back I noticed nobody seemed to be interested in this Epi Performer ME flamed trans black with esonic2, with a like-new Epi case. Started at $200, nobody bid except me, I got an excellent condition Performer for, like, a hundred bucks! since the case is worth about 100. It's all laminate, of course, but plugged in, it's a kick to play.

Yea I saw them...I was gonna buy the second one (the one with the buffed out top) and I got caught up doing something here at work and missed the end of the auction by 3 minutes. It went for $610 or something like that...I am sick..lol

I was writing this post earlier, obviously, then I went and played golf. In January. There was still a little snow on the course. Anyway, so I just saw your post. Man! That's too bad. I know 'cause it's happened to me at work before - damned daytime auctions. That second RAVS was originally set to go off at 6:15 in the morning or something. He apparently got it changed to noonish. Yeah, he had the natural satin buffed out. Along with the fossilized walrus ivory, I hadn't heard of that either, lol. You shouldn't be too sick though, since you really don't know what #2 bidder had as his max bid. It could have been $710. He was only getting one chance. (I can't believe he got a bid in with zero seconds left.)

I have 3 hog masterbilts, wish I had a maple. I have yet to play a rosewood version that had me reaching for my wallet. Good luck to you! Hope it does more than look nice.

Yeah, the maple is super vibey. Rosewood is a bit more dense than mahogany, and I was thinking all that abalone isn't really going to help the tone. I don't expect the rosewood to sound as spectacular as the maple. But come to think of it, abalone's pretty light, and those have got to be thin pieces they inlay in there. I can't imagine the total added weight is that significant. My unpracticed ears are probably not that discriminating anyway. [smile]

Thanks all for the good vibes. It's freakish there were two on ebay at once. There were none at all for the month before that.

Oh, right now that other one has 10 minutes left.... It's still sitting at 1 bid, about 80 bucks lower than the starting bid for mine. I hadn't noticed the 1st bidder had a zero ebay score. A single lucky fellow with 334 transactions and 100% feedback bid with zero seconds left (just showing off, I guess), and took it for 10 bucks over the starting price, about $180 less than I paid for mine! He got a great deal! I'm not one bit regretful, though. They're different guitars and I'm happy with mine at the price I paid for it.

Ebay is a game theory environment. There's no benefit to providing other bidders any information (such as a bid) before it's too late for them to do anything about it (like bidding higher). I just bid high in this case. No trick to that. There are also some low-ball deals out there. Awhile back I noticed nobody seemed to be interested in this Epi Performer ME flamed trans black with esonic2, with a like-new Epi case. Started at $200, nobody bid except me, I got an excellent condition Performer for, like, a hundred bucks! since the case is worth about 100. It's all laminate, of course, but plugged in, it's a kick to play.

I was writing this post earlier, obviously, then I went and played golf. In January. There was still a little snow on the course. Anyway, so I just saw your post. Man! That's too bad. I know 'cause it's happened to me at work before - damned daytime auctions. That second RAVS was originally set to go off at 6:15 in the morning or something. He apparently got it changed to noonish. Yeah, he had the natural satin buffed out. Along with the fossilized walrus ivory, I hadn't heard of that either, lol. You shouldn't be too sick though, since you really don't know what #2 bidder had as his max bid. It could have been $710. He was only getting one chance. (I can't believe he got a bid in with zero seconds left.)

It's ok, as much as it would have been nice, I'm really on the hunt for a twelve string...that's next on my GAS list.

It's ok, as much as it would have been nice, I'm really on the hunt for a twelve string...that's next on my GAS list.

About a month ago, number 1 on my list was an AJ500RC. One came up at Antebellum, but I thought it was priced too high. I passed. After a month and no sale, he put it up on Reverb. I was an idiot, put in an offer, still haggling over the price, and somebody snapped it up. Since nobody else on the planet was selling an RC, I started drifting, looking into Martin OMCPA4's that sometimes dip into my price range. Then I noticed Martin's GPCPA4 also had a 1.75" nut, and I heated up for one of these Grand Performance guits, which are just shy of a dreadnought. Then a "compact jumbo" Gibson CJ-165 showed up on ebay that looked like it might stay in my price range. Well, it didn't. I guess by that point, my GAS had gotten really bad - acute, they'd call it - and it put me in intensive care, so to speak. Then up popped these RAVS's. Well, you know the rest of the story.

Good luck on getting the 12 you're looking for. They're really fun to play.

About a month ago, number 1 on my list was an AJ500RC. One came up at Antebellum, but I thought it was priced too high. I passed. After a month and no sale, he put it up on Reverb. I was an idiot, put in an offer, still haggling over the price, and somebody snapped it up. Since nobody else on the planet was selling an RC, I started drifting, looking into Martin OMCPA4's that sometimes dip into my price range. Then I noticed Martin's GPCPA4 also had a 1.75" nut, and I heated up for one of these Grand Performance guits, which are just shy of a dreadnought. Then a "compact jumbo" Gibson CJ-165 showed up on ebay that looked like it might stay in my price range. Well, it didn't. I guess by that point, my GAS had gotten really bad - acute, they'd call it - and it put me in intensive care, so to speak. Then up popped these RAVS's. Well, you know the rest of the story.

Good luck on getting the 12 you're looking for. They're really fun to play.

I can help..I'm a psych RN and do addiction groups all the time...lol.

Half the fun is the hunt. I just bought a 000-18 GE in February of last year so didn't need the EF to be honest, although I've never had a 'burst before (ever). I played nothing but 12's back in the day, I'm getting the urge to add a 12 to my collection again. If I don't find one by the time I get this Martin paid off, I'm spring for a Guild F-412 or F-512.

Half the fun is the hunt.

No more hunt for me, and I'm missing it. :rolleyes:

I just bought a 000-18 GE in February of last year...

Whoa, nice! How's that ebony fretboard?

I played nothing but 12's back in the day, I'm getting the urge to add a 12 to my collection again. If I don't find one by the time I get this Martin paid off, I'm spring for a Guild F-412 or F-512.

I was wondering what you'd get. Dude, you don't mess around. I've got a cheap '70s Epi FT-160 12-string that's probably worth about 1/20th of one of those. But it's still fun to play. :)

No more hunt for me, and I'm missing it. :rolleyes:

Whoa, nice! How's that ebony fretboard?

I was wondering what you'd get. Dude, you don't mess around. I've got a cheap '70s Epi FT-160 12-string that's probably worth about 1/20th of one of those. But it's still fun to play. :)

I regret selling that F-412 I had so much. I her from 77'-83' one of the most bonehead things I've ever done was selling it. I go back and forth with the 12 string...high end or low end.

I would have considered $700-750,even $800 reasonable considering the rarity of the guitar.

Congrats on your "new" Masterbilt!

Years ago, I was inflicted with the desire to play blues on an acoustic guitar. Got the Keb Mo' DVD. Whilst on the hunt for a Blues Master, I found an EF500R in a music shop. It came home with me and I play it frequently. I am mostly electric these days, but that Masterbilt hangs on the wall, right there next to the door to my music room. It just jumps off the wall sometimes, right into my arms! I have never regretted buying that guitar! I did find a Blues Master soon after I bought the EF500R.

Enjoy your guitar!

Play well, Sir!

Pete

Archived