Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for A Gibson SJ-200, Any Recommendations? Standard or Limited?

Stacanova

Hello All,

I just joined this forum and this is my 2nd post!

I own two Gibsons, an ES-355 Custom Shop and a CS-356 Custom Shop.

I'm in the market for a new acoustic and I think I've settled on getting an SJ-200.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The Standard?

I've also seen a Montana Gold, Gallery Edition, Mystic Rosewood, True Vintage, Art Deco, Walnut, Koa, Etc.

I do like some of the aesthetic upgrades and these limited editions, is there any that I should shy away from because of tone wood combinations?

I will probably have to end up buying one used online, so I doubt I will have the ability to try it out first (I think there are only a couple in my state, both standard Sj-200's a hundred or so miles away) so any advice or input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

When it comes to Hummingbirds and J-45's I found the True Vintage models to be significantly stronger, in the case of the Hummunibird but a long mile.

Although I must admit I have not found a profound improved tone in the SJ-200 TV's over the standard, although aesthetically they look amazing.

I would recommend considering J-200's from 2001 - 2005, for some reason all the big jumbo models Ive played from that period sounded amazing.

I personally prefer j 200s that are maple back and sides, so that would rule out some of those you mentioned. Not that there is anything wrong with the rosewood ones, if money was no object I would have one of each, but here in the real world if you make me choose it would be maple. I never played a koa or walnut one, but I have other makes and models with those specs and i still think maple is the way to go. The j 200 was my dream guitar ever since I started playing as a kid and when I got it it did NOT disappoint In any way! A great guitar. Good luck and have fun with the chase.

Welcome.

I love the spruce (Sitka or Adi) and maple - so if I was looking for just one, that's what I'd be going for. I own what would be called a Standard. Here's a vid that was posted a bit ago in the lounge - the first couple minutes includes a good explanation of why the spruce and maple is so popular a choice for the J200. Good luck with your hunt.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQI3ePeIJiI

I finally bought an SJ-200 a few months ago. A standard edition in sunburst. It is without a doubt everything I wanted in this guitar. It has not been a disappointment in any way. It is my first maple/spruce guitar. I love the tone and playability of this guitar. Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat. It is a fine compliment to my Hummingbird purchased a year ago. I didn't even consider any model variation from the Standard model. That is just me, again those that have variations from standard no doubt love their models, as they should. It is a pleasure to look at and a pleasure to play. Life is short, if you want this guitar go for it! Good luck and let us know how you do.

1420790226[/url]' post='1612657']

When it comes to Hummingbirds and J-45's I found the True Vintage models to be significantly stronger, in the case of the Hummunibird but a long mile.

Although I must admit I have not found a profound improved tone in the SJ-200 TV's over the standard, although aesthetically they look amazing.

I would recommend considering J-200's from 2001 - 2005, for some reason all the big jumbo models Ive played from that period sounded amazing.

Agree. Stacanova, you realize, of course, when you decided on the SJ200, that the iconic version is maple b/s. Although many will argue passionately in favor of RW or Koa, that doesn't change the facts. So, your next decision point might be Sunburst or Natural. As far as the different models, availability, and price will limit your choices. If price is not a factor, you should take EuroAusie's words to heart. I believe Bozeman was turning out the highest quality SJ200s from 2000-2005, prior to developing the True Vintage, higher end line. But, you absolutely can't lose with a more recent, "standard" version. Enjoy!

You want an SJ 200?

So get one!

Play on every SJ 200 model you can find and choose our own one.

Opinions are only opinions.

That is you who need to make a choice.

So do it, or don't ......

I have an SJ 200 and mine is perfect for me.

It's a Custom Elite model.

You have to find your own one.

Hi folks, I've owned two modern Gibson J200's, the first one, a 1992 model, the second, a 1997 model. The '92, I'm pretty sure, was with a European Maple, the '97, with USA eastern maple. I had them both at the same time. Comparing them side by side constantly, was driving me up a wall, both sounded great, in their own way. I traded the '92 off, sold the '97. Both gone before the turn of this "century". One of my biggest mistakes. These two were the only modern J 200's I've ever played. Just in my humble opinion, they sounded "just as good" as the few vintage ones I've played. Wish I had them back. DJ

You want an SJ 200?

So get one!

Play on every SJ 200 model you can find and choose our own one.

Opinions are only opinions.

That is you who need to make a choice.

So do it, or don't ......

I have an SJ 200 and mine is perfect for me.

It's a Custom Elite model.

You have to find your own one.

Thanks for the response.

Like I said, as far as I can tell, the only one I can try is a standard j-200 that is a hundred miles away from where I live and a Bob Dylan Signature one at the same store(I'm not too interested in that one though).

So I really have no way of playing any but the standard and I really like some of the looks of the others, so I figured I would use the internet to get some feedback before I took a complete several thousand dollar shot in the dark.

Thanks!

Welcome.

I love the spruce (Sitka or Adi) and maple - so if I was looking for just one, that's what I'd be going for. I own what would be called a Standard. Here's a vid that was posted a bit ago in the lounge - the first couple minutes includes a good explanation of why the spruce and maple is so popular a choice for the J200. Good luck with your hunt.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQI3ePeIJiI

Thanks!

I appreciate it!

Agree. Stacanova, you realize, of course, when you decided on the SJ200, that the iconic version is maple b/s. Although many will argue passionately in favor of RW or Koa, that doesn't change the facts. So, your next decision point might be Sunburst or Natural. As far as the different models, availability, and price will limit your choices. If price is not a factor, you should take EuroAusie's words to heart. I believe Bozeman was turning out the highest quality SJ200s from 2000-2005, prior to developing the True Vintage, higher end line. But, you absolutely can't lose with a more recent, "standard" version. Enjoy!

Thanks!

I was thinking the Spruce/Maple standard combo might be the safest way to go.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video post, but I assumed that the brightness of the Maple helped balance out the extra Bass the Jumbo size adds giving it a wide tonal spectrum and overall rich sound.

I know most come with Rosewood fretboards, but I believe I saw one listed with an Ebony fretboard, I can't remeber which model or from what year though?

Thanks for the response!

Is there a reason those years seem to be better?

When did Ren leave Bozeman?

Buying on line can be risky unless it's someone with a good reputation.

It would be awful to lay out $2400 just to find out the guitar has issues.

I would call one of the 5-star dealers and see what can of deal you can get. It may be a few hundred more but less risky.

Good luck on your quest.

In my book the TV models are defintifly worth checking out!

The once I played were so much better than the MCs. But its just another personal and subjective experience. I actually never played a J-45 TV that was better than a standard, go figure!

I also back up the maple vote, if you want that classic j-200 sound.

Hi!

maple has my vote on the sj200, I just love the sound of my sj200 STD (2012).

today i was checking out a sj200 KOA (2001) and wasn´t really impressed with the tone imho....

when i was looking for buying mine, i played 2 STDs and 1 TV.

both STDs sounded great but the TV really disapointed me and I was happy to safe the money so I bought mine.

I´m sure that this TV was a dull, I bet there great TVs out there but i haven´t played a good one yet by myself.

it´s really important to play the guitar before buying it or at least to have the opportunity to return it.

greetings from germany,

Ilja.

Buying on line can be risky unless it's someone with a good reputation.

It would be awful to lay out $2400 just to find out the guitar has issues.

I would call one of the 5-star dealers and see what can of deal you can get. It may be a few hundred more but less risky.

Good luck on your quest.

Thanks!

I've been really lucky so far with my online purchases, I hope that doesn't run out, because I don't have many alternatives.

Thanks Everyone for all of your responses!

It seems the Spruce and Maple combo is the front runner, with the Spruce and rosewood combo coming in 2nd.

I might shy away from the True Vintage unless I get the ability to compare and contrast, or the price is right.

I appreciate everyone's input, please if anyone owns any of the limited edition models and were incredibly impressed or disappointed, please let me know!

Thanks Again everyone!

Buy one from American Musical/ZZounds (same company).

Zzounds

American Musical

They've got several in stock. They'll finance almost anyone (don't have a clue how they do that), and they let you check them out in your home for 45 days. No problem returning them.

I've no affiliation with them other than buying two guitars from them and trying out two amps that I sent back.

FMA

The Gibson J200 - there is NO substitution. Simple. There is no other guitar that sounds anything like the J200.

My J200 is a standard natural. The maple back, sides and neck on mine have flame to die for! It is a BIG guitar with a BIG sound.

It may be difficult to hear the differences between many models of guitars but when you hear a J200, you know it!

Greg Lake's analysis in the video above is spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I finally pulled the trigger on a guitar and should have it by the end of the week.

I traded in my Gretsch toward it at guitar center and they are sending it from another guitar center, so at least I have some piece of mind if there are any issues.

It is a used 2014 Gibson j200 Montana Gold with a quilted maple back.

I should have it by the end of the week, so fingers crossed!

Archived