Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Dove Antique Cherry

Tia985

Hi everybody,

two months ago after long time thinking I decided to buy an high end acoustic guitar; I had just one Ovation standard Ballader 1761 which was a gift but I was totally disappointed about sound, feeling, etc.. My idea was to buy or an Hummingbird or an SJ200 but after having played some all sounded "liked cardboard", something was missing in all of them. Maybe they need again a certain maturation time; the last trial was on a Gibson Dove Antique Cherry which I have never played and interested in before. That was definitely a killer guitar with a killer tone, perfectly balanced and full of harmonics, I had immediately the feeling this was my guitar.

The only thing that has to be set is the action which actually is a little bit higher but anyway it's something a good luthier can set.

Enclosed some pics.

Bye

Mattia

post-69815-080113600 1420808525_thumb.jpg

post-69815-070990400 1420808535_thumb.jpg

Congratulations - The Dove is a fantastic guitar, which lives a quite life on these pages. I'd say it flies higher than the Hummingbird on certain parameters.

But you have to really lOVE maple to choose it over the Bird.

Doves are known to be brighter than Birds, , , , mmmm perhaps with new steel, but once the strings fade,

the maple gets very mellow and looses edge compared the square mahogany cousin. Still I fully understand your joy when meeting this classic.

Be happy and send us a short tape.

When is it from btw. and do you know the nut width ?? Looks like the modern Bozeman standard = 1 34 (1.75) " = 44.45 mm

Hi everybody,

two months ago after long time thinking I decided to buy an high end acoustic guitar; I had just one Ovation standard Ballader 1761 which was a gift but I was totally disappointed about sound, feeling, etc.. My idea was to buy or an Hummingbird or an SJ200 but after having played some all sounded "liked cardboard", something was missing in all of them. Maybe they need again a certain maturation time; the last trial was on a Gibson Dove Antique Cherry which I have never played and interested in before. That was definitely a killer guitar with a killer tone, perfectly balanced and full of harmonics, I had immediately the feeling this was my guitar.

The only thing that has to be set is the action which actually is a little bit higher but anyway it's something a good luthier can set.

Enclosed some pics.

Bye

Mattia

She's a beauty! My dream is to someday own one of these...I'm one jealous guy, play well me friend.

Congratulations - The Dove is a fantastic guitar, which lives a quite life here. I'd say it flies higher than the Hummingbird on certain parameters.

But you have to really lOVE maple to choose it over the Bird.

Doves are known to be brighter than Birds, , , , mmmm perhaps with new steel, but once the strings fade,

the maple gets very mellow and looses edge compared the square mahogany cousin. Still I fully understand your joy when meeting this classic.

Be happy and send us a short tape.

When is it from btw. and do you know the nut width ?? Looks like the modern Bozeman standard = 1 34 (1.75) " = 44.45 mm

The nut should be 1.725.

As soon as I can I will post a quick audio / video.

If it sounds a good as it looks, you've got a winner. Welcome.

Thank you everybody! Compared to the SJ200 and H'birds I played my Dove was the best one, of course for me, best balanced sound in terms of presence and mid / bass / treble sound range. Definitely a top guitar; now looking to a D-28 too just to complete the assortment!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived