Gibson Brands Forums

What size string do you use

4Hayden

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's you favorite size of strings ? 12 for flat tops or 9-48 for Les Paul, tell us what type guitar and strings you use on it.

Thanks

4H

Les Paul : EB 10-52

Sambora Strat : EB 9-46

60th Anniversary : 10-46 (Fender Bullets, still got original strings, will likely put the same gauge on but EB)

Semis and solids: La Bella EL-BH 12-52, nickel plated, round wound.

Archtops: La Bella 800M, 14-67, black nylon tape wound.

Classical: La Bella 2001, Medium Tension, silver plated.

I take it you don't bend your strings that much , what type music do you play ?

Hey 4H,

I use D'Addario Exp 12-53 on my acoustic and Dean Markley nickel steel 8-38 on my LPC and Strat

Some were sayng that they used 10 or 11 Les Paul or Strat and don't see how they bend that size string

unless they just play chords. I have 8's on my Strat now but I'm gong to 9-48 tonight

Some were sayng that they used 10 or 11 Les Paul or Strat and don't see how they bend that size string

unless they just play chords. I have 8's on my Strat now but I'm gong to 9-48 tonight

I switched from 10's to 8's a while ago and really like them. They do bend like crazy. Have fun with your 9's and please let me know how you like them.

I switched from 10's to 8's a while ago and really like them. They do bend like crazy. Have fun with your 9's and please let me know how you like them.

Only reason I switched from 8's to 9's is 8's do bend to easy even when you don't try

Hi 4H,

Yes the 8's sure do bend easily, maybe too easily. I agree with you but I'm starting to get used to them so it's not too bad. I haven't played acoustic in awhile so that should be interesting. I know B.B. King plays 8's and Billy Gibbons went all the way to 7's! How are those 9's doing for you?

I just now changed strings on my Balladeer. I tried a set of D'Addario EXP 10-47s after playing their PB 11-52s but they seemed dull and whiny.

I decided to go heavier and went with D'Addario Flat Tops PB 12-53s. They sound fantastic! Not even played in yet!

No more coated strings for this guy.

ϵβ

• 1 month later...

On electrics:

Optima Chrome Roundwound Regular Light 10-46 on all vibrato solidbodies

Optima Chrome Roundwound Medium 11-50 w/ plain G3rd on all hardtail solidbodies

Optima Chrome Roundwound Regular 12-54 w/ wound G3rd on my only semi-solid

On my acoustic guitar are some 11-52 phosphor bronze w/ wound G3rd - at the moment Rotosound Jumbo King, but a D'Addario set is in stock here, too. :)

On basses:

Optima Chrome Roundwound 45-105 (long scale and short scale)

Optima Chrome Flatwound 45-100 (long scale and short scale)

Fender Nickel-plated Steel Roundwound 45-100 (short scale, on Fender '65 Mustang Bass, sadly discontinued as well as the string gauge :( )

I used to use 10s on all my solid bodies over the years. Never had any problem bending. On the SG I got yesterday there are 9s- unknown brand. I am nicely surprised at how toneful they are! I'm thinking I'll stick with them a while- string bending effortless! I'd been using coated strings for a long time (EXP and Elixirs) but the guy I bought my Lester from recommended and gave me a set of "DR". I liked them very much and they seem to last.

My sweat / skin oils rot strings like nobodies business- so unless these DR's continue on I'll probably go back to the EXPs or Elixir...but definitely 9s...

Brian

I used to use 10s on all my solid bodies over the years. Never had any problem bending. On the SG I got yesterday there are 9s- unknown brand. I am nicely surprised at how toneful they are! I'm thinking I'll stick with them a while- string bending effortless! I'd been using coated strings for a long time (EXP and Elixirs) but the guy I bought my Lester from recommended and gave me a set of "DR". I liked them very much and they seem to last.

My sweat / skin oils rot strings like nobodies business- so unless these DR's continue on I'll probably go back to the EXPs or Elixir...but definitely 9s...

Brian

I've always used 9-48 and I tried 8's for bending on blues,now I'm back to 9's trying to find the right maker.

4H

Archived