Gibson Brands Forums

What size string do you use

4Hayden

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi 4H,

Yes the 8's sure do bend easily, maybe too easily. I agree with you but I'm starting to get used to them so it's not too bad. I haven't played acoustic in awhile so that should be interesting. I know B.B. King plays 8's and Billy Gibbons went all the way to 7's! How are those 9's doing for you?

9's seem to suit me fine and not that hard to bend

D'Addario Roundwound .011s on all solid body electrics and a couple of semi hollow bodies, including an electric resophonic.

D'Addario Chromes Flatwound .011s on all hollow bodies as well as a couple of semi hollow bodies.

Round .012 phosphor bronze on some older antique flat top acoustics.

Round .013 Phosphor Bronze on Martin D35 and two different Epiphone EJ200 flattops, a couple of old archtop acoustics as well as an acoustic resophonic.

Round .013 Elixer Nanos on a Taylor 810 and Epiphone Masterbilt DR500 MCE.

Gibson Masterbuilt Premium .013s on the Gibson J200 Standard.

D'Addario Pro-Arte .0280 Nylon on the classical and flamenco

D'Addario EXP .011 on the mandolin

Danielle Mari Spiral 2000 on the charango

GHS .011s on the banjo

D'Addario .010s on the 12 String

D'Addario .010s on the high strung Nashville tuning guitars

Fender or Rotosound mediums for the bass.

And I honestly can't remember what I last used on the autoharp.

D'Addario Roundwound .011s on all solid body electrics and a couple of semi hollow bodies, including an electric resophonic.

D'Addario Chromes Flatwound .011s on all hollow bodies as well as a couple of semi hollow bodies.

Round .012 phosphor bronze on some older antique flat top acoustics.

Round .013 Phosphor Bronze on Martin D35 and two different Epiphone EJ200 flattops, a couple of old archtop acoustics as well as an acoustic resophonic.

Round .013 Elixer Nanos on a Taylor 810 and Epiphone Masterbilt DR500 MCE.

Gibson Masterbuilt Premium .013s on the Gibson J200 Standard.

D'Addario Pro-Arte .0280 Nylon on the classical and flamenco

D'Addario EXP .011 on the mandolin

Danielle Mari Spiral 2000 on the charango

GHS .011s on the banjo

D'Addario .010s on the 12 String

D'Addario .010s on the high strung Nashville tuning guitars

Fender or Rotosound mediums for the bass.

And I honestly can't remember what I last used on the autoharp.

I take it your a D'Addario man , guess I need to give them a try

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I am completely satisfied with Rotosounds. I use 10-46s on Gibsons, 11-48 on Teles. They last very long, sound great - still they are quite affordable, unlike coated strings.

However, since I moved recently, those shops which are en route between my new home and my job now, do not carry them. So, I have been using D'Addarios recently.

I found out they have some interesting gauge combinations. 10.5-48, for example. That's what I put on the Tele. It feels good!

da_prod_exl110+_main_2.jpg

The other thing is: I have a Les Paul Recording. I've found that the nut slots are bit wide on the low strings. When I bought it, I have found the packaging of vintage Gibson strings in the case. They were something like 10-49s(?). I assume those gauges were used on it by the previous owner, and the nut slots were cut accordingly. So, I got some fret buzz with the regular 10-46s.

I found this for the Recording, as a remedy:

da_prod_ej20_main_2.jpg

Cheers... Bence

Another [thumbup] for Rotosound...reliable UK mfg at a good price...

Also use D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Newtone, Fender(for electro mandolin), Earthwood, Dean Markley

A big find though, has been 'Strings Direct' a UK online source for all above named strings

They also offer a low cost own brand nickel set for electric guitar which sound surprisingly good

I even have an acoustic strung with 9's of them.... :blink:

Use 9's and 10's on electric solids(6 and 12str), semis and archtops

Bronze 10's on acoustic 6 str and 12 str

V

:-({|=

I've switched! Slightly, anyway. Since the last post; I've read some advice on another post about G-string tuning troubles, and now use a 17w string in place of the normal 17 of the Gibson Vintage Reissue set. I've had to order a bunch of singles, as I went and bulk-purchased the Gibson's!

Another [thumbup] for Rotosound...reliable UK mfg at a good price...

I even have an acoustic strung with 9's of them.... :blink:

V

:-({|=

I have a set of the Rotosound acoustic 9s on my Fender F-210 for fast country/bluegrass picking. The unwound G has kind of an odd twangy sound, but its good for what I use it for. My other acoustics get Ernie Ball Everlast coated 10s. I actually prefer the sound of Martin SP phosphor bronze, but they turn black in a few weeks, so I went with the EB coated ones. I just started using EB Earthwood nylons on my classicals, which I'm very happy with so far.

My Tele gets EB coated 8-38 for country bends, my ESP gets EB coated STHB 10-52 for hard rock/metal, and everything else gets EB coated 9-42. I do have a set of D'Addario 10s on my LP right now that I got free with my ES-339. That guitar seems to like 10s, so I may keep using them.

I used Gibson Brite Wires on my electrics for years, and finally switched when I got sick of the high E breaking all the time. I don't think I've ever broken an Ernie Ball except one time when I got carried away with the string winder and cranked it way too tight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

.011 - .050" Flatwound (including wound 3rd) D'Arrio Chromes for the Hofner Jazz Archtop (did use heavier but it was so tiring!)

medium tension D'Arrio for the Classical guitars (classical strings do not usually quote any gauge size)

.010 - .046" Ernie Ball regular slinky for all other electrics.

.010 - .052" custom Bronze wound sets (made up with individual selected sizes) for the Fylde acoustic

The Lester runs smooth with Dunlop's Rev. Willy's Mexican lottery brand .42 - .09 lite nickel plated.

D' Addario EJ - 16 Phos bronze on the Breedlove.

Keep 'em clean and change out often...

X

• 3 weeks later...

For all of my acoustic guitars, (both 6 and 12 string), I use Martin Marquis Extra Lights, (10s). I play electric far more often than acoustic. The extra light gauge keeps me in familiar territory

I use D'Addario EXL on all of my electric guitars. Depending on the guitar I use D'Addario EXL 110, (.010 to .046), EXL 120, (.009 to .042), or EXL 125, (a hybrid mix of the first two .... .009 to .046). My Strat, Teles and hollowbody Jazz box run .010's. My Ibanez JEM and RG run .009's. My Les Paul and CS-336 run the hybrid .009 to .046. For whatever reason I just love the D'Addario EXL125 hybrid .009 to .046 on my Gibson necks.

Archived