Gibson Brands Forums

My new baby

ppburns

I just joined the forum and I am new to the Gibson family, having recently received a like-new 2014 Gibson SG Standard for Christmas. (I was a very good boy in 2014.) :)

Gibson_SG_Standard_2014_zps5b898d29.jpg

I am loving this guitar. It does have the SG tendency for the headstock to drop, but I'm using a strap now with a bit more friction which seems to help. I also have a strat, so I like having the humbucker tone to complement the single coils on the strat.

-Peter

• 1 month later...

late reply I but I am in process of getting the same guitar

any thing you can tell me about yours how do you like the color.

and mini tune I played new 2013's and I liked the 2014's better.

can you post more pics of your guitar so I can compare.

thanks

bongo

late reply I but I am in process of getting the same guitar

any thing you can tell me about yours how do you like the color.

and mini tune I played new 2013's and I liked the 2014's better.

can you post more pics of your guitar so I can compare.

thanks

bongo

I love the color. I was going to go with the usual cherry, but decided that I liked the look of the Manhattan Midnight better. It also helped that I got it as a used guitar from Guitar Center for around $1,000. It looked like it might have been a return, as it looked brand new with the film still covering the pick guard.

I've had the guitar for about 3 months now and have been playing it a lot. I love the feel of it, and I have made use of the coil tapping features. I get some really nice tones using it with my Mustang III amp. My other electric is a Strat, so I like having humbuckers on the SG.

I've used the Min-ETune mostly with standard tuning and once I calibrated it, it seems to work reliably. I hope to play around a bit with the alternate tunings, but haven't used them much so far.

I'll try and post more pictures when I get a chance.

I just joined the forum and I am new to the Gibson family, having recently received a like-new 2014 Gibson SG Standard for Christmas. (I was a very good boy in 2014.) :)

Gibson_SG_Standard_2014_zps5b898d29.jpg

I am loving this guitar. It does have the SG tendency for the headstock to drop, but I'm using a strap now with a bit more friction which seems to help. I also have a strat, so I like having the humbucker tone to complement the single coils on the strat.

-Peter

I agree the tones are great on the 2014 the coil taps

And I also love the feel.. I had 2 2013 on hold. By chance

I went into a different guitar shop and a 2014 was there

I have it a try and love it .its has everything I want.

I know the hardcore players and music store where

Bashing it but I love it. So they brought me in a manhattan

Midnight but it was all scratch . Can't get anymore

Only 1 cherry left . So I'm waiting on it for next week

Bongofury

Man, I love the color, the inlays and binding that come with the higher end Sg's! That is one sweet guitar! I'm new to the Gibson family too- I can't tell but does yours have the anniversary logo at the 12th fret?

VERY VERY nice Peter. Enjoy and post some more pics when you can!

Brian

Nice SG and congrats! My first Gibson was a 2013 SG Standard, and I think it ruined me. I hardly play my Fenders these days ('52AVRI Tele and an '85 MIJ Strat) and have since picked up an SG Classic (P90's) and a Melody Maker. Seems like I've moved to the dark side!

Nice SG and congrats! My first Gibson was a 2013 SG Standard, and I think it ruined me. I hardly play my Fenders these days ('52AVRI Tele and an '85 MIJ Strat) and have since picked up an SG Classic (P90's) and a Melody Maker. Seems like I've moved to the dark side!

I can still get my SG to twang with the best of them, and seems like it just does the 'edge of breakup thing' better than my Fenders and just has a more even feel to it tone wise. The 57 Classic pickups are awesome.

Sorry for me joining in so late. [blush] Congrats on your nice SG and happy playing! [thumbup]

... It does have the SG tendency for the headstock to drop, but I'm using a strap now with a bit more friction which seems to help. ...

-Peter

Yep - that's my way of controlling neck dive, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Guitar !

Do you like the e-Tune set up ? I didn't know that Gibson started using the small pick guard similar to the Epiphone SGs in the recent SG Standards. All of the Gibson SG Standards I am used to seeing have the larger pick guard that extends above and below the pickups. I think the old pick guards add both beauty and protection to the guitar.

Here is a picture of my '91 SG Standard to show you what I mean.

20150325_151911.jpg

Some people asked for more pictures, so here they are.

SG%20Case%201_zpshuc3hhku.jpg

SG%20Case%202_zpsiv6fw1xm.jpg

SG1_zpslo2jcxfx.jpg

Min-ETune_zpstaqocc0m.jpg

IMG_7156_zpsikcjrxoz.jpg

Guitars_zpsukoqieye.jpg

I thing the Min-ETune setup is OK. It would be nice if I could tune just a single string, but other than that I find it easy enough to work with. I also like that I can take it off if I decide later to put on regular tuners.

When I got the guitar there was a problem with one of the tuners not turning properly. I was able to order a single tuner for around $30 and the replacement was extremely simple. There is just one nut holding it in place.

Archived