Gibson Brands Forums

ES335 Dot Neck Gloss Figured - yr 005 -

hollowbucker

Greetings! I have this beautiful ES-335 that I bought new around 2005, and have been slowly getting into gear nerd-dom recently, so now I am wondering exactly what this is, and how this model compares to other 335’s of recent manufacture.

gbesdtvsnh1-xl-02.jpggibson-es-335-dot-reissue-figured-esdtvsnh1-1.jpg

At the time I thought it was a standard ES-335. Now I find out it has a few descriptors attached to it (gloss, figured), and new ones with these options cost more than standard ones do these days. Is there anything special about these? I really like mine, and it does have a nice subtle flame to it, and it is gloss, but I can't figure out why they go for 500 - 1000 more then the "regular" ones. Is it just those two differences? Mine was made in Nashville, according to Gibson CS (I think I plugged the s/n - 02205756 -into that Internet database awhile back) which I thought was less desirable, but now I understand that many CS and other nice hollow bodies are assembled and / or finished in Nashville - is that correct?

Thanks!

Nice ES , they make them at both Nashville and Memphis now

So no difference in craftsmanship between the two factories? They just started making them in parallel in the Nashville location? Does anyone know when? (I guess 2005 the latest, since that is when mine was created there). I see Gibson makes a big deal about the Memphis line of semi-hollow body guitars for 2015 on their website. No mention of Nashville - so are they stopping the Nashville part of it for 2015? Even the studio ES line is included under the Memphis line. Also, I am confused as to what "custom" or "custom shop" means with regard to these. Are there separate custom shop ES's, or are all the Memphis and/or Nashville ES's considered custom shop instruments. That doesn't sound right, as the R6, R8, R9 etc LP's are way pricier.

So no difference in craftsmanship between the two factories? They just started making them in parallel in the Nashville location? Does anyone know when? (I guess 2005 the latest, since that is when mine was created there). I see Gibson makes a big deal about the Memphis line of semi-hollow body guitars for 2015 on their website. No mention of Nashville - so are they stopping the Nashville part of it for 2015? Even the studio ES line is included under the Memphis line. Also, I am confused as to what "custom" or "custom shop" means with regard to these. Are there separate custom shop ES's, or are all the Memphis and/or Nashville ES's considered custom shop instruments. That doesn't sound right, as the R6, R8, R9 etc LP's are way pricier.

Which online database did you consult? I put in my information in a few online databases and was told Nashville while my ES-335 sticker said Memphis. The best way to find out is to run that serial number with Gibson's custom support (my apologies if that is what you consulted).

It is my understanding that not many guitars come out of the Nashville factory, only the prestigious historic reissues come out of there these days. The Dot Figured Gloss ES-335 that you have is only more financially substantial than the regular Dot Gloss/Satin models because of the figured pattern on the wood. I have a Figured Gloss ES-335 in Natural and it is gorgeous all over--gorgeous look, feel, and sound. These guitars also have the nice Grover tuners, whereas a lot of the desirable ES-335 guitars have the vintage Kluson appointments. So whether Memphis or Nashville, these guitars rock! Definitely my favorite in my entire arsenal of guitars.

Archived