Gibson Brands Forums

Black ES125

Whitlo56

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a black ES125? I have only seen Tobacco Sunburst. The one I have is all black with white pinstripe. It has no serial number just ES-125 stamped inside the f hole. I believe that it is from between 1941 and 1949. I have heard that when Gibson screwed up the sunburst finish the just painted it black, I don't know if it true or not any comment would be helpful.

Thanks

Interesting! Can you post some photos?

My understanding is that 125's were only produced in 1941-42, and then re-introduced in 1946. During the war, Gibson made some acoustic guitars that came to be known as "Wartime Specials", and they featured a black finish. No idea whether this might tie in to the story on your guitar. Yours could have been refinished, or it could very well have been a custom order or one-off. I hope you'll be able to share some photos here.

• 4 weeks later...
During the war, Gibson made some acoustic guitars that came to be known as "Wartime Specials", and they featured a black finish.

As Jim has eluded to above, many oddball things were done at Gibson during the "war years" (WWII of course). As many commodities were rationed, or designated for war production (lacquer being one of them), manufactures had to come up with alternative methods and materials in the making of "consumer products". One of these was Gibson using black paint to finish guitars.

It has also been written that for some reason during the war years Gibson did not affix a serial number or factory order number to their guitars.

It is most likely that you have an ES-125 from the war years, and very possible that it has a factory applied black finish.

Archived