Gibson Brands Forums

L5 with sordid past

skylarkjazz

Hi all, I have an old L5 that has been through it all. I've posted some pix just for general discussion. The serial number has been rendered almost illegible but from what I was able to make out, it seems that the guitar may have been made in the late 30's. At some point probably in the sixties, I believe the cutaway was added and two humbuckers (not PAF) were installed. The guitar had major issues as a result and the top cracked in a bunch of places as the guitar basically imploded. I had a new top made for it in the 90's and had one pickup put in. Redid the bracing as well. my daughter snapped the neck off a few years ago so that has been repaired as well. However, the guitar plays really nice and sure is pretty anyway even if she is a bit of a Frankenstein. Thought I'd share the process with you all. Thanks, Clint.

It may be a Frankenstein, but it's still a great looking guitar. You're to be commended for putting so much effort and money into achieving that result.

Since you opened this up for discussion, I can't help but make a few comments that are a bit less positive (but it just reflects my own personal outlook, and is in no way meant to criticize you). Back in the 60's, the florentine cutaway was the thing, but I wish they had opted for a venetian cutaway, as it would have been a better fit with that 1930's neck (the first cutaways in 1939 having been venetian, of course). The script logo and the florentine cutaway are visually at odds with each other (then again, some would find that to be an appealing thing, I suppose). With the top having been damaged and a clean slate being established, I think it would have been cool to install a Charlie Christian pickup, which again would tie in more with the 1930's pedigree. Then you'd have had a different sort of fantasy guitar, which would have a more authentic appearance at first glance. Part of the reason I say this is that I used to fantasize about finding a custom L5 from the 40's, with a cutaway and a CC pickup (the L5 in my avatar dates to 1966, and was the closest thing to that fantasy that I've been able to find).

One other thought, which you may have already considered. I think a correct (vintage or repro) bound tortoise pickguard would help to improve things even further than you've already done.

Oh, and I love the way you finished the top with that aged golden look. Just a beautiful instrument.

FWIW - The SN from the photo looks to be 98301, maybe 98304. Anyway, 983XX's are from 1945.

I wonder what is the significance of the handwritten "1 1/4" on the bottom left of the label.

One more question to the owner. I wonder if you could measure the nut width for me. I recently did some restoration work on a mid-'47 L-5, and was surprised to find it was built with a 1 9/16" nut width (vs the "normal" 1 11/16").

Anyway, neat guitar and great story... enjoy.

FWIW - The SN from the photo looks to be 98301, maybe 98304. Anyway, 983XX's are from 1945.

I wonder what is the significance of the handwritten "1 1/4" on the bottom left of the label.

One more question to the owner. I wonder if you could measure the nut width for me. I recently did some restoration work on a mid-'47 L-5, and was surprised to find it was built with a 1 9/16" nut width (vs the "normal" 1 11/16").

Anyway, neat guitar and great story... enjoy.

Cool. I was wondering about the 1 1/4 also. The nut width appears to be 1 11/16. Did the byrdland have the more slender nut width as well?

It may be a Frankenstein, but it's still a great looking guitar. You're to be commended for putting so much effort and money into achieving that result.

Since you opened this up for discussion, I can't help but make a few comments that are a bit less positive (but it just reflects my own personal outlook, and is in no way meant to criticize you). Back in the 60's, the florentine cutaway was the thing, but I wish they had opted for a venetian cutaway, as it would have been a better fit with that 1930's neck (the first cutaways in 1939 having been venetian, of course). The script logo and the florentine cutaway are visually at odds with each other (then again, some would find that to be an appealing thing, I suppose). With the top having been damaged and a clean slate being established, I think it would have been cool to install a Charlie Christian pickup, which again would tie in more with the 1930's pedigree. Then you'd have had a different sort of fantasy guitar, which would have a more authentic appearance at first glance. Part of the reason I say this is that I used to fantasize about finding a custom L5 from the 40's, with a cutaway and a CC pickup (the L5 in my avatar dates to 1966, and was the closest thing to that fantasy that I've been able to find).

One other thought, which you may have already considered. I think a correct (vintage or repro) bound tortoise pickguard would help to improve things even further than you've already done.

Oh, and I love the way you finished the top with that aged golden look. Just a beautiful instrument.

Yeah, I'm sure the florentine was much easier to do as well. I wish they'd never done anything to it in the first place. It was probably an acoustic instrument off the floor. The guitar kind of looks like a sixties L5CESN now. I might look around for a more vintage looking pickguard. I think that one just came from an online dealer and yeah, it doesn't really look the part.

it's a '39 L-5

the truss rod cover is a replacement and the tailpiece is a later L-5 t.p., as is the bridge.

love the old prewar Grover Imperials.

the 1 1/4 on the label refers to the bridge height. during the 30's Gibson offered 2 bridge heights, the thinking being it produced a different tone.

it's a '39 L-5

the truss rod cover is a replacement and the tailpiece is a later L-5 t.p., as is the bridge.

love the old prewar Grover Imperials.

the 1 1/4 on the label refers to the bridge height. during the 30's Gibson offered 2 bridge heights, the thinking being it produced a different tone.

Thanks! I kind of thought it might have been from the thirties. Any idea what a guitar like this might be worth?

Archived