Gibson Brands Forums

V 120 questions

Pinch

Hello :) (Wow, lotta smileys to choose from!)

New to the board. First things first (or something): have a a couple questions maybe someone can help me out with.

1. The Flying V 120 - how are the BB Pros mounted? No mounting ring visible to the naked eye. Specifically: is the height adjustment screw a machine screw that goes in a slot, or a direct-mount wood screw?

2. The stock strings: says .009-.046 on the website, tens in the manual. I'm assuming the site is accurate? Would the gauges be 9-11-16-26-36-46? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

I believe as with most other V models the 120 will have the pickups mounted to directly to the pickguard rather than on any sort of rings. The picture shows them mounted that way.

As for you question about the strings I am not really sure. Gibson makes their own strings (Bright Wires) that come on all of their guitars from the factory. Usually they are strung up with 10-46 and I don't think they even sell 9-46 bright wires. The official website lists them as 9-46 and the other V model they have in production this year is also listed at 9-46. I would guess they most likely made some sort of custom set for the flying v's to be equipped with from the factory. As for each individual string I have no clue.

Other string manufacturers make sets that come in a 9 11 16 26 36 46 so I would say that would probably be the most likely arrangement.

Welcome to the forums!

I believe as with most other V models the 120 will have the pickups mounted to directly to the pickguard rather than on any sort of rings. The picture shows them mounted that way.

As for you question about the strings I am not really sure. Gibson makes their own strings (Bright Wires) that come on all of their guitars from the factory. Usually they are strung up with 10-46 and I don't think they even sell 9-46 bright wires. The official website lists them as 9-46 and the other V model they have in production this year is also listed at 9-46. I would guess they most likely made some sort of custom set for the flying v's to be equipped with from the factory. As for each individual string I have no clue.

Other string manufacturers make sets that come in a 9 11 16 26 36 46 so I would say that would probably be the most likely arrangement.

Thank you very much! Good to be here.

So it's a wood screw directly into the wood, or does it go into a slot? Phillips #1 screwdriver?

Thanks again.

So it's a wood screw directly into the wood, or does it go into a slot? Phillips #1 screwdriver?

No, absolutely not. Only wood screws going directly into the wood are the ones keeping the pickguard in place.

If you remove the pickguard, looking at it from the back, you'll see the 2 height adjustment screws coming through the PG. There will be a spring (or some type of compression tubing) to maintain tension between the PG surface and the the leg of the pickup (the screw will come through the PG, spring mounted over it BEHIND the PG, and finally through the bottom of the pickup leg). Same arrangement used on a Strat.

If you understand how a pickup mounts on a traditional pickup ring, it's the same concept, but think of the pickguard as a very large pickup ring.

No, absolutely not. Only wood screws going directly into the wood are the ones keeping the pickguard in place.

If you remove the pickguard, looking at it from the back, you'll see the 2 height adjustment screws coming through the PG. There will be a spring (or some type of compression tubing) to maintain tension between the PG surface and the the leg of the pickup (the screw will come through the PG, spring mounted over it BEHIND the PG, and finally through the bottom of the pickup leg). Same arrangement used on a Strat.

If you understand how a pickup mounts on a traditional pickup ring, it's the same concept, but think of the pickguard as a very large pickup ring.

I see - so it's a regular machine screw then. Thanks!

#1 screwdriver, right? Funny; the #2 seems to work as well, but I guess the #1 goes deeper. Long time player, complete hardware noob ;) Thank you very much for your replies!

Hello :) (Wow, lotta smileys to choose from!)

2. The stock strings: says .009-.046 on the website, tens in the manual. I'm assuming the site is accurate? Would the gauges be 9-11-16-26-36-46? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Brite Wires come 10 to 46 with steel ball ends and Gibson has used them for some time. In 2014 they were using 9 to 46 sets marketed by one of the Everly Brothers, can't remember the brand. The 9 to 46's have colored ball ends like D'Addario and they may not be still using them. Just use the 10 to 46, that's what I put on my V's.

Brite Wires come 10 to 46 with steel ball ends and Gibson has used them for some time. In 2014 they were using 9 to 46 sets marketed by one of the Everly Brothers, can't remember the brand. The 9 to 46's have colored ball ends like D'Addario and they may not be still using them. Just use the 10 to 46, that's what I put on my V's.

My ebony Flying V 120 came with the colored ball ends...9-46.

My ebony Flying V 120 came with the colored ball ends...9-46.

Just remembered the name; they are Cleartone coated strings.

(Edited to add) Gibson was putting them on many new guitars in 2014. That doesn't mean that you have to stay with them. You can use whatever you are comfortable with.

Gibson got back to me. 9-46 hybrid (9,11,16,26,36,46) and regular 3-48 screw (height adjustment).

Phillips #1, ideally, for height adjustment? I'm - apparently - not very handy. The only screwdrivers I'm familiar with are made of vodka and orange juice [rolleyes]

• 4 weeks later...

A flat head screw driver as long as it's on the small side is usually fine to adjust, some models have Philips heads which gibson usually provides a tool with a Philips on one side and the other for truss rod adjustment.

Finding after market screws for pickups are a totally pain in the butt too, size 3-52 or 40, which ever they are, are not standard by any means. Don't lose them!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Another question: My Tune-O-Matic angle... I'd say the "clearance"/space between the wheel and the bottom is about half the amount of space on the treble side compared to the bass side (or, if you like, the bass side has double the amount of space - or thereabouts). It came shipped pretty much like that - minor adjustments made.

Does that sound about right? Don't want to end up with a twisted neck.

Like I said, am new to the hardware side of things. Obviously. And more than a little OCD [rolleyes]

Thanks again!

Bass strings will call for more action than treble strings. That's why bridges or, where applicable, individually height adjustable saddles usually are set higher on the bass side. However, there can be exceptions like guitars specifically set up for slide play.

All in all I think there's no danger of neck twist due to personal adjustment of string action.

Jay: I'll be damned. There's a Phillips-y head on one end of the truss rod wrench. No, not planning to lose them. Haven't stripped 'em, either. That much.

Capmaster: thanks. Thought so, but no harm in checking. I've never spent 2k on a guitar before, so obviously I don't want to eff it up.

NGD review: I know a lot of people don't like BB Pros, but they sound amazing on the V120. They're PAF-style AlNiCo Vs, so don't be surprised if you encounter wolf notes on the low E string. I've adjusted action and pickup height to where it's okay. I can lower the pups and lose the (slight) wolf notes there, but then I lose too much character. (Just saw "Whiplash", and me looking for the sweet spot on my V was like Terence Fletcher in full swing. Possibly with more cursing.)

It's not an extreme-metal rhythm guitar with these pups, despite what your Watain clips would have you believe, but there's been an emphasis on vintage lead guitar tones in black metal lately, and I've seen a Watain clip with a BB V. If you want, say, the Dissection rhythm guitar tone, remember that Jons Flying V (not a V120) was fitted with EMGs. In an ideal world, I'd have one Flying V with active EMGs and one with PAf pups. Can't afford two, so I'll stick with the BBs. My V120 has an AMAZING lead guitar tone. Take it from someone who's been playing on and off for 25 years or so - it's THE s--t.

Came with more neck relief than I'm used to - there's the infamous dip mid-fretboard... but that's me comparing this V to a friend's Jackson V, which is an unfair comparison either way. I'm fully expecting that the onset of summer will straighten the neck out a bit. Doesn't really matter, though, since I use my V120 mainly for lead work - dunno about you guys and gals, but I prefer a fair bit of relief for soloing.

Came set up with pretty low action. Or was it moderate action? Can't remember, and I blame the vanilla paint fumes that rolls off the new Gibbys of today. I mean, it doesn't come with the instruction to stick your head in the case for a week and inhale, but just like with dry ice onstage - if you don't snort it from the source, you're a ***** (or a **** - *nods to Lzzy Hale*).

All in all: an amazing guitar. How much Iäve played it? Put it this way: bought it two months ago, and the 12th fret "120th..." inlay is starting to look distinctly like Gibson got off the ground 12 years ago [wink]

If I were you, I'd at least try one. I remember playing a few (straight-from-the-factory) Gibson Vs a decade or so ago, and I never liked the neck - did they change it? 'Cos the V120 neck is just right, in my opinion.

My two cents. Well, more like a buck, but... y'know.

Archived