Gibson Brands Forums

Open Letter To Gibson and Gibson Devotees

Silvercrow

I'm an old guy and this post will probably make me sound like one. But in a day where virtually every major electric guitar manufacturer offers a dizzying array of cookie-cutter models, from sources all over the globe, with quality issues all over the globe, it is SO refreshing that Gibson is still dedicated to making their Gibson branded guitars in America! THANK YOU-SINCERELY! I understand business enough to realize why other marques import guitars from China, etc., but I see the varying quality and the confusion that can result from having look-alike guitars that derive from multiple locations and bear the same model designations.

Gibson- keep doing what you are doing. This aging guitar player will always prefer an American made guitar even if compromises have to be made to keeps costs low; at the same time, keep making your mid-level models and high end models in this good old U.S. too! I'm really appreciative!

I am not meaning to offend anyone. It's just that the Les Paul is a guitar icon; as is my former manufacturer's offerings. Gibson proves that for slightly more money, you can get a US made guitar and not have to guess and do doctorate-level research to determine if your guitar is truly an original, made from parts from various countries / sources etc...

Part of this is the result of making componentized guitars for ease of repair replacement, but still..

Yeah, I know there are "fake" Gibsons out there...but I'll wager not near as many as ...those other guys!

Rant over...

Brian

I don't think Gibsons couldn't be manufactured in any other country around the globe.

Just send some expert american Gibson employees, give a half dozen of months to share experiences and improve quality issues, and you have a brand new, high-grade facility outside USA. The secret is:

1. Share experiences with the new employees;

2. Use high-quality hardware and woods;

3. Have the right tools;

4. Give enough time to build a good guitar.

Why doesn't Gibson try this? Piracy, maybe. Epiphone designs are already being sold as "Chibsons" in the internet. Gibsons would probably face the same problem if they were manufactured in China or any other country.

Here in Brazil, there are great instrument makers (mainly Tagima and Giannini), but the problem here is:

1. Hardware parts are imported, making the product expensive due to our high importing taxes;

2. Wages are lower, so there is a big market for entry-level instruments. Also, brands don't have the "wow" factor as Fender/Gibson/PRS/Ibanez (from the latter I refer to the top models), so they must be positioned in the budget segment;

3. Woods are nice, although they're usually different than the ones commonly used in american guitars. A friend has a strat-like Tagima, SSS pickups with a freijo body... pretty nice guitar. If he exchanged its pickups for a good trio of alnico single coils, it would become a respectable instrument;

In other words, I would never buy a Squier guitar here, since I can have a better instrument, i.e., a body with a single block of wood and better pickups, for a bit less money.

I think that if I want the classic electric guitar tone, I will look for an original american design, like a Gibson or a Fender guitar. The same way if I want a classical guitar: I'll order an instrument from a brazilian luthier (I can have an unbelievable classical guitar for something like $1500) or take a look on spanish instruments. But I don't think good instruments can't be made in other places. It's just a matter of transferring expertise to new locations.

I don't think Gibsons couldn't be manufactured in any other country around the globe.

Just send some expert american Gibson employees, give a half dozen of months to share experiences and improve quality issues, and you have a brand new, high-grade facility outside USA. The secret is:

1. Share experiences with the new employees;

2. Use high-quality hardware and woods;

3. Have the right tools;

4. Give enough time to build a good guitar.

Why doesn't Gibson try this? Piracy, maybe. Epiphone designs are already being sold as "Chibsons" in the internet. Gibsons would probably face the same problem if they were manufactured in China or any other country.

Here in Brazil, there are great instrument makers (mainly Tagima and Giannini), but the problem here is:

1. Hardware parts are imported, making the product expensive due to our high importing taxes;

2. Wages are lower, so there is a big market for entry-level instruments. Also, brands don't have the "wow" factor as Fender/Gibson/PRS/Ibanez (from the latter I refer to the top models), so they must be positioned in the budget segment;

3. Woods are nice, although they're usually different than the ones commonly used in american guitars. A friend has a strat-like Tagima, SSS pickups with a freijo body... pretty nice guitar. If he exchanged its pickups for a good trio of alnico single coils, it would become a respectable instrument;

In other words, I would never buy a Squier guitar here, since I can have a better instrument, i.e., a body with a single block of wood and better pickups, for a bit less money.

I think that if I want the classic electric guitar tone, I will look for an original american design, like a Gibson or a Fender guitar. The same way if I want a classical guitar: I'll order an instrument from a brazilian luthier (I can have an unbelievable classical guitar for something like $1500) or take a look on spanish instruments. But I don't think good instruments can't be made in other places. It's just a matter of transferring expertise to new locations.

I agree with your assessment. And I fully trust there are brilliant makers in Brazil. I believe, as you said that if Gibson would outsource to China the world would be flooded with knock-offs. I vape instead of smoking- and some Chinese manufacturers have no problem whatsoever in branding their tanks / atomizers with well known and respected German / Russian brands- right down to the "TM" or "R" on the units!!! Somebody who took the time to design and make vape tanks is getting severely undercut i.e. ripped off by this activity. And really, no way to prosecute the offenders in that situation.

Thanks for your insights brdeveloper! I'd love to have a classical guitar from your country! As it stands right now all I can afford is a Les Paul faded- but WOW what a guitar!

Brian

the idea that gibby's quality control is NOT hit or miss baffles me. even just here on this forum i have seen plenty of complaints over the last year. as an american who no longer lives in america, i find the jingoism tiring. lots of places make great guitars, and tbo, it's no big trick these days to do so. and for one hell of alot less than what henry's charging. gibson had a great line up last year, and they gutted it in the name of branding. typical. gibby and now fender too, make guitars in america that alot of americans cannot afford. if people can't see what's wrong with that, then their children will reap what their parents have sown.

the idea that gibby's quality control is NOT hit or miss baffles me. even just here on this forum i have seen plenty of complaints over the last year. as an american who no longer lives in america, i find the jingoism tiring. lots of places make great guitars, and tbo, it's no big trick these days to do so. and for one hell of alot less than what henry's charging. gibson had a great line up last year, and they gutted it in the name of branding. typical. gibby and now fender too, make guitars in america that alot of americans cannot afford. if people can't see what's wrong with that, then their children will reap what their parents have sown.

An ES-335, sold for ~$335,00 in 1958, should be sold for ~$2500,00-3000,00 considering inflation. That is, even in 1958, Gibson guitars were expensive.

To me, "quality control" in musical instruments is expertise, quality parts and time for manufacturing a great instrument.

In China, you usually don't have enough time, or good parts, or expertise. Once you allow them to build guitars in the same conditions as americans, they'll build instruments as good or even better than american guitars. Epiphones are still great guitars, although they usually lack good parts or enough time to tweak some issues (like nut, neck, joints, etc).

An ES-335, sold for ~$335,00 in 1958, should be sold for ~$2500,00-3000,00 considering inflation. That is, even in 1958, Gibson guitars were expensive.

To me, "quality control" in musical instruments is expertise, quality parts and time for manufacturing a great instrument.

In China, you usually don't have enough time, or good parts, or expertise. Once you allow them to build guitars in the same conditions as americans, they'll build instruments as good or even better than american guitars. Epiphones are still great guitars, although they usually lack good parts or enough time to tweak some issues (like nut, neck, joints, etc).

I agree. Fender likewise- when they first came out I was surprised at the cost (early 50s). I'm too lazy to go up into the attic to get my Fender books / history studies but I recall doing the math- they would have been as expensive (relatively) as they are today.

Kuma,I don't know about being a Jingoist- I just consider myself a proud American that mourns the lessening of industry in our country. And I feel that Gibsons, having the "set" necks, nitro finishes, many with carved tops and bindings, take more time and attention to detail than some of the other popular brands,just sayin', as they say ;) I too have lived and worked in countries outside of America (Europe, total of three years)and visited a few developing nations (three others, beteen 2 weeks and 2 moths each) and while I feel honored and enriched by those experiences and opportunities, I still feel very strongly, in a favorable way, about America.

Brian

then their children will reap what their parents have sown.

Tell 'em a hookah smoking Teddy Bear

Has given you the call!!

Call Alice, she KNOWS!!!! [biggrin]

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead

And the white knight is talking backwards

And the red queen's off with her head

Remember what the door mouse said!!!

Love the fact that (REAL) Gibson's are ONLY "Made In USA!" LOVE IT!

But, the only real problem I have with Chinese or Korean made Epi's,

is the lack of true/proper spec's, to the original USA made versions.

Proper "Gibson" type truss rods (and 2-hold covers), correct body

contours, as opposed to Samick generics, etc. The overall quality

is continually improving! The Japanese version are outstanding, and

the Chinese, Indonesian, and Korean versions are quite good, as well.

The Chinese versions are (now) a lot more "correct" in body contours,

than the Korean (Samick) style bodies, on the Sheraton, and some DOT's.

Just wish they'd go that final step, and make the "spec's" correct,

all the way! And, with (ALL) Gibson USA metal parts, pickups, pots

and switches. "The Devil's in the Details!" [biggrin]

CB

Archived