Gibson Brands Forums

AJ 15 VSB: Anyone have one? Opinions?

sbpark

Thinking about picking one of these up (used obviously since they aren't produced anymore). Just looking for something that sounds good, can leave it out on a stand next to the couch for noodling around and writing songs and ideas, for rehearsals, and would probably end up installing a decent sound hole pickup. My guess is it's all laminate? Are these worth it for around $100?

Aj15_zpsb9ca1a45.jpg

Thinking about picking one of these up (used obviously since they aren't produced anymore). Just looking for something that sounds good, can leave it out on a stand next to the couch for noodling around and writing songs and ideas, for rehearsals, and would probably end up installing a decent sound hole pickup. My guess is it's all laminate? Are these worth it for around $100?

Aj15_zpsb9ca1a45.jpg

I bought a DR-100 Tito's vodka advertisement model just to hang in my bar, cause I thought it's be cool. I was amazed at the sound, when I got to noodling around with it. Epiphone does entry level/economy (and beyond) better than anyone IMHO. I would assume it's all laminate and I'd consider $100 to be a reasonable price point. You might want to check it out one epiphone wiki though for more specifics.

I bought a DR-100 Tito's vodka advertisement model just to hang in my bar, cause I thought it's be cool. I was amazed at the sound, when I got to noodling around with it. Epiphone does entry level/economy (and beyond) better than anyone IMHO. I would assume it's all laminate and I'd consider $100 to be a reasonable price point. You might want to check it out one epiphone wiki though for more specifics.

The Epiphone wiki was useless. Said nothing about it being a laminate or not.

Anything other than "Solid" equates to laminate.

Pick up the modern 100 series for the same price point or get the 220S for a solid top at twice the price, but still incredibly low. Another good inexpensive option would be Recording King's Dirty 30's RDH-05. It's a vintage sunburst dread with a solid top and a bone nut and saddle. It looks, sounds and feels wonderfully old timey and is super loud to boot! The RDH-05 is priced exactly as the AJ-220S at $199 USD.

In my view, the best inexpensive all laminate option would be Epiphone's AJ or DR 100 series.

Archived