Gibson Brands Forums

the same model guitars??

denis-brazil

Not the same model, as both guitars are different as far as specs go, but both are "Mid-Seventies" Les Pauls.

Gibson's description for Randy's is specifically a `74-

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Randy-Rhoads-Les-Paul-Custom/Features.aspx

"Mid-Seventies" is the description for Steve's.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Steve-Jones-Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

Wikipedia describes Steve's as a 1974-

"While with the Sex Pistols Jones mostly played two Gibson Les Paul Customs,[14] a black 1954 Gibson Les Paul Custom and his most famous white 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom (with the pin-up girls on it) that formerly belonged to Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jones_(musician)

Not the same model, as both guitars are different as far as specs go, but both are "Mid-Seventies" Les Pauls.

Gibson's description for Randy's is specifically a `74-

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Randy-Rhoads-Les-Paul-Custom/Features.aspx

"Mid-Seventies" is the description for Steve's.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Steve-Jones-Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

Wikipedia describes Steve's as a 1974-

"While with the Sex Pistols Jones mostly played two Gibson Les Paul Customs,[14] a black 1954 Gibson Les Paul Custom and his most famous white 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom (with the pin-up girls on it) that formerly belonged to Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jones_(musician)

they look close... but those reeditoon steeve pick ups atent the originals i guess... that time gibson didnt manufature 496 and 498.... right?

Hello!

Randy`s had AlNiCo III "Super Humbuckers". But don't let this term confuse You, Gibson called most of it's humbuckers "Super Humbucker" at that time, even the Low-Z Les Paul Signature pickups.

About Mick Jones': "beginning with the Les Paul Custom’s traditional carved maple top and one-piece mahogany body" - makes it not so period-correct for a '74. Randy's had the correct pancake body.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Randy`s had AlNiCo III "Super Humbuckers". But don't let this term confuse You, Gibson called most of it's humbuckers "Super Humbucker" at that time, even the Low-Z Les Paul Signature pickups.

About Mick Jones': "beginning with the Les Paul Custom’s traditional carved maple top and one-piece mahogany body" - makes it not so period-correct for a '74. Randy's had the correct pancake body.

Cheers... Bence

thanks mate! onde day i will buy a 74 les paul yet! cheers

thanks mate! onde day i will buy a 74 les paul yet! cheers

Hello!

Me too. I skipped a black one in 1993. (Those days they were unbelievably cheap here).

But, I have a cream one on my wishlist, either a vintage one, or a R74.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Me too. I skipped a black one in 1993. (Those days they were unbelievably cheap here).

But, I have a cream one on my wishlist, either a vintage one, or a R74.

Cheers... Bence

sound good mate..i will be honest with you..i´ve never tried a vintage gibson....you know..here in brazil its hard to find a reliable place to invest so much money...

they really sounds diferent? its better to play?

cheers

sound good mate..i will be honest with you..i´ve never tried a vintage gibson....you know..here in brazil its hard to find a reliable place to invest so much money...

they really sounds diferent? its better to play?

cheers

Hello Denis.

Not easy to answer.

First there is the aura of the vintage instrument. It`s like riding a `69 Mustang Mach I, opposed to a brand-new BMW M5... Sure the Mustang is nicer, fun to drive, looks like a sculpture, but the BMW is newer, it`s fresh and much more reliable.

Then, which vintage guitar we are talking about?

Just because the fact, they are old, - I'd say - they are much more likely worser than the new, freshly crafted instruments. Their attractivity is the patina, I guess.

On the other hand You might find such details that are not being focused at these days. Nibs, super-low frets, nice decorations...

Do they sound better? I don't think it's the question of age. All guitars are different.

For everyday use, I would choose a new guitar. But I like museums too. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Got you Bence....your cars example was perfect....in fact is also cool buy a brand new guitar with guarantee and tha just did belong to you....

what happen is that all vintage glamour is inconscious in our minds...

anyway, someday i will buy one! lol

cheers

Hello Denis.

Not easy to answer.

First there is the aura of the vintage instrument. It`s like riding a `69 Mustang Mach I, opposed to a brand-new BMW M5... Sure the Mustang is nicer, fun to drive, looks like a sculpture, but the BMW is newer, it`s fresh and much more realiable.

Then, which vintage guitar we are talking about?

Just because the fact, they are old, - I'd say - they are much more likely worser than the new, freshly crafted instruments. Their attractivity is the patina, I guess.

On the other hand You might find such details that are not being focused at these days. Nibs, super-low frets, nice decorations...

Do they sound better? I don't think it's the question of age. All guitars are different.

For everyday use, I would choose a new guitar. But I like museums too. ;)

Cheers... Bence

I have one vintage guitar, it's my Les Paul Recording.

But the reason I bought it, because it's not in production anymore, and the previous (only) owner was obsessed about it's condition...just like me. So it's almost in brand-new condition.

Cheers... Bence

Archived