Gibson Brands Forums

NEW LP Golden Pearl and SG Xtra Slim

Rabs

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Golden-Pearl.aspx

This Limited Run Les Paul Standard Golden Pearl from Gibson USA piles on the features and the looks, with an exclusive finish and a hugely desirable hardware and electronics package wrapped into one great made-in-America singlecut. The legendary tonewood platform of a mahogany body (modern weight relief for comfort) plus a carved maple top sets the foundation, dressed in an elegant new Golden Pearl finish in thin nitrocellulose lacquer sets the style to max. Gold hardware—including Tune-o-matic bridge, stopbar tailpiece, and high-quality Grover™ locking Keystone tuners—tops it off in the looks department, while a pair of Burst Bucker Pro pickups through the traditional control complement yield thick, rich Les Paul tones. Add a Vintage Brown hardshell case, and it’s one outstanding Les Paul.

LPSDGPGGH1-Hero-2_zps608fc58a.jpg

LPSDGPGGH1-Back-Shot_zps09467332.jpg

LPSDGPGGH1-Glam-Shot_zps24e6da8f.jpg

I assume that Xtra Slim means the neck? How much slimmer can an SG be :) (maybe this one doesn't neck dive? :-k )

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Xtra-Slim.aspx

Long a favorite of classic rockers and metal heads alike, the short-lived variation of the SG Standard from the early part of the mid ’60s has been particularly popular with some players for its super-fast slim, narrow neck. An SG from this era has been critical to unbridled rock mojo of AC/DC’s Angus Young, to name but one—and now it can rock your world, too, in the form of Gibson USA’s Limited Run SG Xtra Slim. An easy feeling neck with a width of just 1.55” at the nut and an Xtra Slim Taper™ profile that goes from .775” at the 1st fret to .850” at the 12th steers you straight into the fast lane, while a pair of thick-yet-clear 57 Classic humbuckers deliver full-bore PAF tones. Add the smaller early ’60s 5-ply pickguard and great vintage looks courtesy of a Heritage Cherry finish and pearl dot markers, plus the uncompromising tonewoods and build quality you’ve come to expect from Gibson USA, and it’s an astounding American-crafted electric guitar at this price.

SGXSHCCH1-Hero-2_zpscc53b3a9.jpg

SGXSHCCH1-Side-Shot_zps1ef1476e.jpg

SGXSHCCH1-Back-Shot_zpsaaee43c6.jpg

SGXSHCCH1-Glam-Shot_zps5ac986d8.jpg

That SG neck profile is very close to what the 1st generation Epiphone G-400 was modeled after. I just measured mine to be sure. Its a tiny feeling neck, and very fast to play. Its probably what has made me love my '93 G-400 so much over the 20 years I've owned it. If I hadn't totally upgraded the electronics in the Epi last year, I would be seriously considering the SG Xtra Slim.

I thought ALL the 2015 Gibson USA guitars were gonna have GForce, brass nuts and wide necks...? I'm very disapointed... [bored]

Yup that's what I would have thought too...

If these changes are all so great why wouldn't they want them on all models... Its hard to believe its just for us die hard fans... but if that's the case make limited runs with the new features and give us what we want :)

Or are they really just trying to pump the prices up any way they can?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Xtra-Slim.aspx

Long a favorite of classic rockers and metal heads alike, the short-lived variation of the SG Standard from the early part of the mid ’60s has been particularly popular with some players for its super-fast slim, narrow neck. An SG from this era has been critical to unbridled rock mojo of AC/DC’s Angus Young, to name but one—and now it can rock your world, too, in the form of Gibson USA’s Limited Run SG Xtra Slim. An easy feeling neck with a width of just 1.55” at the nut and an Xtra Slim Taper™ profile that goes from .775” at the 1st fret to .850” at the 12th steers you straight into the fast lane, while a pair of thick-yet-clear 57 Classic humbuckers deliver full-bore PAF tones. Add the smaller early ’60s 5-ply pickguard and great vintage looks courtesy of a Heritage Cherry finish and pearl dot markers, plus the uncompromising tonewoods and build quality you’ve come to expect from Gibson USA, and it’s an astounding American-crafted electric guitar at this price.

SGXSHCCH1-Hero-2_zpscc53b3a9.jpg

SGXSHCCH1-Side-Shot_zps1ef1476e.jpg

SGXSHCCH1-Back-Shot_zpsaaee43c6.jpg

SGXSHCCH1-Glam-Shot_zps5ac986d8.jpg

Nice SG...BUT, "Whew!!!" I'm SAFE! Since It doesn't (by evidenced in the photos) have the early

'60's wider/deeper bevels, and horn tapers. [cursing] :unsure: [biggrin]

CB

But but but they're FORCING us to buy things!!

:)

Ah, I get it now, they're FORCING us to buy things. [biggrin]

Maybe that's what the Gibson Advertising Guru's said. Lets call it the G-FORCE, then we can FORCE it on the unsuspecting little people. Yea, that's the ticket. [biggrin]

Ah, I get it now, they're FORCING us to buy things. [biggrin]

Maybe that's what the Gibson Advertising Guru's said. Lets call it the G-FORCE, then we can FORCE it on the unsuspecting little people. Yea, that's the ticket. [biggrin]

Lol.. yes, just in time for the new Star Wars film at the end of this year :P :)

I like the LP but pass on the SG.

1.55" nut? I need room for my sloppy fingering.

Weird thing = is that Gibson has been doing a lot of SGs with 24 fret neck and they put chunky necks on them, not quite a 60's taper even if they say it is...then they make a truly slim and fast neck and they get back to the 22 fret configuration.

Another 'new' guitar. I hate the way the just paint the top a different colour and call in a new model. Don't you all find it patronising? Why not just buy a Traditional, take it to your luthier and have them paint the top.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang! I've gone and convinced myself to buy the SG Xtra Slim after (if) my Les Paul sells. I don't really need it, but I really want it! Its the "real" Gibson version of my '93 Epiphone G-400. Luckily there don't seem to be any in the US right now, so my bank account is safe temporarily! [thumbup]

Archived