Gibson Brands Forums

I want to see your Hummingbirds!

Jesse_Dylan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Maple is a Dove, so its much like every other Dove.

LOVE the Koa 'Bird, (but I prefer the Dove actually), but the 'Bird is VERY bright!

I've told this story here before..... back in the mid-60's I Worked in a music store. We got in a Hummingbird that I fell in love with, (at the time I was playing a Fender Jaguar and J-Bass, so no room for an acoustic).

Fast forward to the 80's. My bride bought me a Christmas present.... she KNEW I was smitten by a Gibson 'bird' guitar of some kind, so she bought me a Dove.... and over the years, I grew VERY fond of it. I still have

that Dove, (I just posted a video on the Acoustic Performances thread with it). It's special because she bought it for me at a time when we didn't have a pot to pee in, or a window to throw it out of!

Yeah, I feel silly now--of course it's a Dove! And what a wonderful story to go with it. I secretly hope my fiancee buys me a Gibson someday... :)

as you wish...

a little family photo

IMG_7038_zps185a875c.jpg

What is that small white one with the numbers at the bottom?? Never seen one of those before! Some kind of guitar-teaching kind of guitar?

Dscn3070_zpse458acd2.jpg

Dscn3098_zps6c4ece1b.jpg

Dscn3070_zpse458acd2.jpg

Sorry... couldn't resist. :)

DC

That is the most beautiful hummingbird of all!!

Well Jesse did this help lots of nice Hummingbirds pictured here..hope you find the one your looking for.

It did help :) I just love drooling over them. I hope I do, too. I'm sure I will! I think I'd probably be happy with either the local Quilt or a standard mahogany. Just don't want to get one and wish I had the other. I think I might regret not getting the standard mahogany, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to get the standard mahogany and regret not getting the quilt one. Would be so much easier if they just had one of each!

Thanks Jesse - I really like my LG-2 - It is the perfect guitar for vocal backup. And it is so comfortable! I have played Dreads for years - This little Guitar is a pleasure to play - and it sounds Great. [thumbup]

Epiphones count! That's a pretty one. I see you have an LG-2 as well. How do you like it? There is one locally I'm going to play soon. I used to have a WM-00 I miss and wonder how they compare.

Cibby, that worked just fine, and that's a gorgeous Hummingbird you have there!

Thanks Jesse - I really like my LG-2 - It is the perfect guitar for vocal backup. And it is so comfortable! I have played Dreads for years - This little Guitar is a pleasure to play - and it sounds Great. [thumbup]

Yikes, not even over my Hummingbird obsession, and I'm scared another might start! My new rule is I can't acquire a new guitar without liquidating one. Five is my limit! (Uh, but I don't count my two Composite Acoustics, my short-scale bass, or my cheapie electric...)

Yikes, not even over my Hummingbird obsession, and I'm scared another might start! My new rule is I can't acquire a new guitar without liquidating one. Five is my limit! (Uh, but I don't count my two Composite Acoustics, my short-scale bass, or my cheapie electric...)

My rule used to be "Five" too - and if it cost , or was worth, less than $1,000 it didn't count. Unforeseen circumstances have me down to 2, or 12, depending on that rule. I'm going with 2. But these H-Bird pics sure are GAS inducing .

James Q - you have Three ? Nice !

my rule used to be 5 too.

Until I foolishly sold a HD-28 out of my herd, which is the best sounding instrument I've ever played.

I sold it to buy a Les Paul which is a great guitar but I still miss that HD-28...

Anyhow, after selling the HD-28, I've decided to never sell an instrument unless I absolutely hate it.

So my collection kept growing larger.. SJ-200, Triolian, AJ, D18 and Waterloo...

My herd is now upto 7(acoustics only)...

Don't think of it as acquiring another guitar, view it as an investment in your grand-kids' future inheritance.

The only one I regret trading in is a Gibson WM-00. I wish I still had that. I also traded in a black Gibson J-45 at one point. I don't know why, but I regret that less, I guess because I just have too darn many guitars. I will always miss the WM-00, though.

My first Martin was (and is!) an 00-18V, which I plan to trade/sell towards a Hummingbird this summer. I hope I don't regret it. I recently got a small Martin, though (custom 7-28), and the 00-18V just doesn't get played anymore, and did not get played anyway since I was always playing my D-18, D-28 or M-36. Just too many guitars for one person to play. And I know I'll be playing my Hummingbird a lot.

But that is the pits, that feeling of, "I wish I still had XXX guitar that I traded/sold." I would sort of like to have two Gibsons (maybe a smaller one, like the LG-2 AE), but that would mean, at least now, losing another Martin, either the D-28 or the D-18. If I were permanently settled somewhere, preferably somewhere that the climate was more even and the guitars wouldn't need so much babysitting, I wouldn't worry so much about having "too many." I think the D-28 and D-18 especially are guitars that need to be played to stay in good shape, though. I will be thinking a lot about it in the next few years, but I'm not sure I can part with either.

Oh well. I make my life too complicated!

Quite a situation you're in there - because non of the herd-guitars mentioned are throw-aways.

I for my irrelevant part would skip the small body, but fully understand you need one of those too.

The intriguing thing for me is that you have an array of top Martins and yet really seem to yearn for a hog or maple Bird - underlined by the fact you're are so sure it will be played a lot.

Guess it's the 'freshness of the complementary' that sets in here.

Surely hope you find and get what you rattle about, and look forward hear to what actually happens once one of those H-birds is inside the stable among those fine Nazarethian woods.

Quite a situation you're in there - because non of the herd-guitars mentioned are throw-aways.

I for my irrelevant part would skip the small body, but fully understand you need one of those too.

The intriguing thing for me is that you have an array of top Martins and yet really seem to yearn for a hog or maple Bird - underlined by the fact you're are so sure it will be played a lot.

Guess it's the 'freshness of the complementary' that sets in here.

Surely hope you find and get what you rattle about, and look forward hear to what actually happens once one of those H-birds is inside the stable among those fine Nazarethian woods.

It is all baffling and confusing, that's for sure! I think I'll probably be happy enough with "just" a Hummingbird and my Martins. I think I want the variety. While I enjoy singing with my Martins, particularly my dreads and M-36, Gibsons are so nice to sing with.

I think you're right that I should skip the LG-2. That is sort of a pipedream anyway since it would require losing another Martin, not to mention I am already losing my 00-18V toward a Hummingbird. Then I'd just be getting another 00 size when I've already had a good one that didn't get played.

I suppose my line of logic is something like, I'd like to have a big Gibson (Hummingbird) and a smaller Gibson, just for variety. But an LG-2 is not really small in the same way my 7-28 (smaller than a size 0!) is small.

Anyway, first things first, I will get my Hummingbird this summer and begin life without my 00-18V, and from then on, I will be looking at my Martins fairly harshly, just in case I can spare one. Truth be told, when I bought my D-28, it was a custom order and took time; meanwhile, I got a fantastic deal on a D-18, and my excuse was, "I will keep them both for a while, then keep the one I prefer." But, I have never been able to make that decision. Not yet, at least, and I might never. As you said, they are all keepers. I can't imagine parting with my 7-28 or M-36, so it would have to be one of the dreads. My 00-18V is a keeper, too, best fingerpicker I own. But they all fingerpick darn well, and they all strum better than the 00-18V (which is no slouch either when it comes to strumming, rhythm and flatpicking). Neck (mod-V) is a little less comfy. I feel okay about trading it, just rather sentimental you understand. I have been avoiding playing it now in case I end up changing my mind.

Sorry, just pondering in text form. Hopefully I won't really like the LG-2 AE and can just live happily ever after as a one Gibson man with several Martins!

Jesse,

I hate to say this... If you play a good LG2 AE, you will need one as well. Here's how I see it, because as far as I can observe, and watching some of your singing clips a few years ago on the UMGF, here is what you will of course need:

D18. Just because. Everyone should have one.

M36. Rosewood, lush, resonant, comfortable. Martin's secret perfections are the M size.

Bird. Sing away.

J45. Sing away.

LG2. Sing away.

The above is reality and ying yang. Accept. Sell the rest. And get it done. :)

Really look forward to your Hummingbird ;-)

, , , as I did with EA's. .

Said it before, but if you're smitten with that particular guitar, it's usually quite serious and getting it home is placing a major brick right.

Curious to see if the expectations are fulfilled - and if you get to play it as much as predicted.

Regarding Martins, I play Gibson every 30 times a 'nazarethian' is touched. But could never do without them - too important.

Just traded a HD-28V for another Bird TV this summer. Both terrific guitars. The shop-guy strummed it twice and claimed it was the best Mart. he ever heard.

I returned the line to him about the 2012 Bird and left the building dancing.

Still am, , , and btw have a second 28V, which is slightly louder/rougher. I kept that one as the other was almost too perfectos to rock. .

Stay obsessed, but gradually less baffled.

While your on the topic of hummingbirds. I gotta say this 50th of mine is by far the easiest guitar I've ever played. Right from the factory. Never ever needed adjustment. Just a great neck

i have to say that i felt exactly the same way... i was looking for an hummingbird, tried all thenew models, TV, standard, quilt, koa, etc... and never felt good with any of them... too green if that means something... the best sounding by far was the TV... but the neck was not to my taste.. same feeling as my J45TV, sounding great but strange neck, hard to get used to...

was leaving the shop and saw a used 50th hummingbird and voilà!!! it was it... great neck, very confy... great hummingbird sound... i bought it...

i also have to say, the 50th finish is in my opinion the most beautiful...

Ben

Woops, I missed some replies here!

There's a lot of Martin fans in here Jesse.

How about a pic of the family?

Or, even better, soundclips.

Instead of a family photo, how about a few photos? I thought I did have a decent one of them all together but apparently not!

2013-02-08214413.jpg

Top row: D-28P (amber sunburst), 00-18V (ambertone), M-36 (vintage sunburst)

Below: D-18P

2013-02-26152926.jpg

the dreads

2014-12-05163912.jpg

D-28 with 7-28

2014-12-05230400.jpg

7-28 alone

I could keep going, but it's a pain to paste photos in here :P Haven't shown many of the 00-18V or M-36. The 00-18V was my first Martin (tough to let go of, and the best fingerpicker I've ever played), and the M-36 is probably my favorite and probably a lifetime guitar. I wrote so many songs for my fiancee with that.

Jesse,

I hate to say this... If you play a good LG2 AE, you will need one as well. Here's how I see it, because as far as I can observe, and watching some of your singing clips a few years ago on the UMGF, here is what you will of course need:

D18. Just because. Everyone should have one.

M36. Rosewood, lush, resonant, comfortable. Martin's secret perfections are the M size.

Bird. Sing away.

J45. Sing away.

LG2. Sing away.

The above is reality and ying yang. Accept. Sell the rest. And get it done. :)

That all sounds pretty logical to me! I suppose if I'm trading in my 00-18V, it's a little silly to get an LG-2, which is sort of a Gibson version of the same (with some important differences). Hopefully I'll enjoy but not "need" one of those... :)

I definitely won't trade in my M-36 or 7-28. My 00-18V is probably first to go, and my D-18 and D-28 would be the next in danger. It really just depends. But you can bet I'll be spending the next half year playing them all and trying to decide which I can live without and which I can't.

Really look forward to your Hummingbird ;-)

, , , as I did with EA's. .

Said it before, but if you're smitten with that particular guitar, it's usually quite serious and getting it home is placing a major brick right.

Curious to see if the expectations are fulfilled - and if you get to play it as much as predicted.

Regarding Martins, I play Gibson every 30 times a 'nazarethian' is touched. But could never do without them - too important.

Just traded a HD-28V for another Bird TV this summer. Both terrific guitars. The shop-guy strummed it twice and claimed it was the best Mart. he ever heard.

I returned the line to him about the 2012 Bird and left the building dancing.

Still am, , , and btw have a second 28V, which is slightly louder/rougher. I kept that one as the other was almost too perfectos to rock. .

Stay obsessed, but gradually less baffled.

Yes, less baffled would be good! I am still torn about that maple one, still in love with the idea of a mahogany one. Well, I could ramble on, but I'd better leave it at that and go to bed. :) I'm looking forward to my Hummingbird, too! I wonder if anyone will even remember my quest 7 or so months from now when the time comes... And I wonder if I'll ever come to terms with the maple one or if I'll end up doing something crazy! I have thought about making an offer, like $1000 and the 00-18V. Not that I have $1000, but...! These things take a lot of thought. Hopefully I'll love the one I get so much that I won't even think about the maple one. The last time I played it, I had to admit it wasn't in any way the best guitar in the shop and was inferior to a (really good!) J-45. But, I really like that maple Hummingbird, and not just because of the looks. Actually, the looks seem a little overstated to me, gussied up beyond the standard Hummingbird.

Yes! Great choices. I think J-185 was amongst the first Gibsons I ever played, and I very nearly purchased it. It was between that, a new old stock Guild D-55 (I think?) and a used Martin HD-35. Bought the Guild, which I no longer have. I wish I'd bought the J-185 instead and kept it.

Thanks, they are both great guitars.

I have owned many Martins and Gibsons over the last 30 years and for now, the Gibsons give me what I want in an acoustic (sound, playability, comfort, aesthetics). Montana continues to build fine instruments.

Mine, since THIS MORNING!!!!

story goes like this:

i tried this particular guitar in november in famous Santa Monica guitar store...

before i put my hand on this one, i tried all the new models of hummingbird, i was specifically looking for a Hummingbird as i already got a J45 True Vintage.

i tried True Vintage, regular model, whatever, none was sounding great compared to my J45TV.

i finally give up and on the way out, i noticed a used hummingbird up on the wall... ask for a try... and BAMMMMM it sounded so great, the classic hummingbird sound you hear in the stones and other old records... the neck was fabulous.... oh my....

i had to go and come back to my pacific island, and started to dream of this particular guitar...

long story short, i tried to sell a bunch of vintage gear locally, but didn't managed until early january...

fortunatly the guitar was still on sell...

i sent a message to the shop, ask if the guitar was still available... it was... what a miracle, almost two months after...

Mark the seller has been really helpful to manage the deal.... and i paied for it..

but i had to wait almost 3 weeks more... when a friend of mine had a trip in san francisco and was able to pick it up in santa monica on the way back...

the guitar arrived this morning...

i'm soooooo happy since it's the best acoustic Gibson i ever tried or dreamed of...

it's a 50th anniversay... man this guitar is good... and nice... i'm sorry the pix don't do it justice...

Ben

post-49719-057691500 1422836111_thumb.jpg

post-49719-018067400 1422836121_thumb.jpg

post-49719-074638100 1422836135_thumb.jpg

post-49719-023170400 1422836151_thumb.jpg

Archived