Gibson Brands Forums

Humidification Questions

mgrasso

Just noticed my beloved AJ-500MNS started some surface cracks on the soundboard running along the neck.

These do not go through the top.

I took it and my other AJ-500 to one of our top acoustic shops, and was told that both were dangerously dry.

They are going to re-humidify both and then add some glue to the top and refinish.

I bought the Oasis humidifyers for my DR-500PNS and Takamine GB for their cases.

It was suggested that since I have 5 solid body and 4 solid top acoustics that it would be wise to get a room humidifyer for the room.

So before I head out to Home Depot to purchase one, I thought I'd get opininons from the gallery.

What do you guys use?

Any recommended brands?

I have everything in my finished basement which is about 20 ft by 36 ft.

The room is not closed in to the rest of the house, but the stairway is the open end to the house.

So before I head out to Home Depot to purchase one, I thought I'd get opininons from the gallery.

I really don't know, mgrasso. I keep everything in their cases with a damp sponge in a baggie with holes in it. This keeps the in-case humidity percentage up in the 40s, which I hope is good enough. I did get a $20 Vicks no-filter room humidifier that does put a lot of moisture up in the room, and it lasts about a day before needing to be refilled, but the room is open to the rest of the house, and the humidity drops once the thing runs out of water. I've decided this repetitive change in humidity is probably not the best thing for my solid wood guitars, so I've stopped using it. I just check my sponges every few days and keep them damp. I've read the other threads about humidification -- some guys are very serious about it, and others have stories of completely neglecting guitars for decades with no ill effects. So I don't know. A moderate amount of attention and no big changes in the guitars' environment will hopefully keep my priceless beauties in good shape....

Each of my guitars has an Oasis humidifier, which I check every weekend. The Martin 000-13 golden era 1937 has its own dedicated hygrometer. If you are going to hang them on the wall, climate control is a must. Even kept in their cases. I keep them humidified. I was in my favorite guitar shop last year and a guy brought in a D28 which had to be rehydrated.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Masterbilt cracking. Nothing will DESTROY an acoustic guitar faster than not being humidified in winter. ....I repeat...NOTHING..... I emphasis this because so few who read this want to believe it, till it is too late.

Will EVERY guitar in the world crack when dried out? No. ...but MANY will.

One of the main problems people encounter when humidifying an acoustic is finding an accurate hygrometer. Accurate hygrometers are hard to find..and they can easily vary in their faulty readings by 20 points one way or the other. I repeat...hygrometers are often wrong...and if they are right..they go bad OFTEN, and begin to read inaccurately. That's why you need several. That could mean that if your hygrometer is reading a safe 50%, it could actually be a destructive guitar cracking 30%...and you may never know it till the guitar cracks.

Find a good hygrometer and put it in the case...buy several if you have multiple guitars. I use Oasis hygrometers at the moment.. http://www.guitarcen...666-i1396314.gc .they seem accurate...so far.......bought several...and one was bad..inaccurate...but that rate is good compared by most hygrometers. Do not assume your humidifier readings are correct either...likely they will vary...compare it to you other room hygrometers till you get a feel for whats going on.

I use a Sears whole house room humidifier in my guitar storage room...a room about the size you mentioned. It works flawlessly for several years now...it is digital set and fully automatic on and off...powerful...brings room right up to 40 to 50% with ease...keeps it there. Here is what I use. http://www.sears.com...=4&blockType=G4

Again I am sorry to hear about your Masterbilt....but if room humidity is kept extremely low...it is likely all you other acoustics will go south as well...including any laminated guitars with solid tops. Even an entirely laminated guitar can be ruined by dryness because the solid neck can warp to the point of irreversible destruction.

Good luck. Owning acoustic guitars is quite a responsibility..they must be nurtured, pampered..kept in proper temperatures...but the worst thing that can happen to any acoustic guitar is to sit in humidity that is lower than 40%....35% is dangerous...30% is out right destructive....anything below that is disaster.

My home humidity in the house here in Northeast Pa ..with heavy heat is... 10%...yes you read that right...and if your home is heated heavily...your house probably averages 10 to 15 to 20% during those periods. For an acoustic guitar...without intervention for correcting humidity...that is a time bomb.

Again good luck. You will remedy the situation now and things will get better. ...GL

I live in Alberta, Canada.

Our weather is very dry, especially in winter. People who live on the west coast of Canada, get off an airplane here, and say they can feel their lips cracking!

I keep my guitars in their case.

Regarding my acoustic, I use a Planet Waves humidifier in the case. I have had no ill effects ever.

I have seen another guy have trouble with too much humidity.

He bought himself a beautiful Martin, and was told to keep the humidity around 40.

He bought a hygrometer to keep in the case too.

In his effort to keep the humidity up to an "acceptable level", he had 3 Planet Wave humidifiers in the case.

All of a sudden, the bridge came off.

I guess someone never told him that the glue is water soluble.

You need some humidification, but it is my opinion that you must let the guitar acclimate slowly to your local conditions.

Archived