Gibson Brands Forums

Im going backwards..... new Double Cut body build

Rabs

So some of you may remember that I got this really nice flamy maple top and ive been at a quandary as of what exactly to use it for.. Well I decided today.

This is the maple. Hmmmmmmm :)

DSC_0778_zps2b578be3.jpg

And what I decided to do is go back to my original door wood design which is you may or may not remember looks like this

DSC03848_zpscf263c75.jpg

BUT I will be altering the horn design just a tiny bit so it will look more like this (sort of :))

DSCnbio03848_zps19bd2a3c.jpg

So I will be doing a Utile or Meranti back with that nice maple top.. I may even carve and bind it...

What do you reckon :) Im quite excited about it.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much PRS?

Hmm, yeah I guess its very much like that Santana shape

PRS-Private-Stock-Santana-2_zpse8d0a1c7.jpg

Perhaps, but in reality, I think that shape PRS uses for these (an old one for them) is actually a Gibson shape. It looks like a Special, or the first "SG's" as they called it, but with also a carved top.

I'm not exactly sure but I think the doublecut Jr's are the same.

Perhaps, but in reality, I think that shape PRS uses for these (an old one for them) is actually a Gibson shape. It looks like a Special, or the first "SG's" as they called it, but with also a carved top.

I'm not exactly sure but I think the doublecut Jr's are the same.

Yup indeed they are..

In fact pretty much all of my builds are based on my Double Cut special in one way or another.. I really do think its the best shape [thumbup]

Ive been wishing for Gibson to make a Double Cut Standard again for quite some time now.. :)

Started on my template today...

Not quite 100% happy with it yet.. Im really going to take my time and make sure this new template is perfect before I move to the next stage.

So I copied the body and re-drew the horn shape to something I was happier with

DSC_0902_zps4f76fd1b.jpg

And this is the result where I yet again change the horn shape slightly

DSC_0904_zps0ac90fb5.jpg

But to be honest the back end of the guitar isn't quite uniformly round.. So I think tomorrow I will bring my Double Cut with me to use as a better template.

I can't actually ever recall seeing an LP Doublecut with a flamed flat top. Should be nice looking and a bit different too. I like the idea.

Lol.. well theres the PRS above :) , pretty much the same thing...

Also AXE had one made for him a short while back.. REALLY nice

this one

20140531_143617_zps592b6085.jpg

20140531_143814_zps90ddd1a4.jpg

And as for Gibson, they have made DC Standards that look like this

538950.jpg

And of course there was this Double Cut Classic released a few months back (what I wouldn't give for one of those :))

LPCDCTRCH1-Hero-2_zps40295dea.jpg

So its not exactly a new design.. I think Gibson fist did it in 1958 or something like that :) (but I think they were like the DC Specials so flat top, no flame).

well yes and no - of all those examples only AXE's looks like it has both a flat top and a flame to me. I like that idea and love the LP DC shape - an all time favourite.

So.. you prefer the idea of a flat top?

Interesting :-k

All of my guitars have been flat so far. I did my first attempt at a carved top last week.. Came out so so.....

Im still deciding if I should attempt that with this maple top.. But I gotta be careful with it, it was the single most expensive but of wood I have bought so far.. Actually it cost me more than all of my wood stock put together lol.. :)

Its like 21mm thick.. What I may do is cut them in half which will give me two lovely flat tops for the price of one carved one :-k So many options.. Such little time and money to do it all.. im also itching to do a chambered body like a 336 semi acoustic, thatd be well cool.

Oh well :)

Yes, absolutely I like the DC flat tops - in fact (and I'm assuming from the pics its a flat top) that guitar of AXE's would just about represent guitar perfection to me. Absolutely love it - maybe I'd go for a slightly cherry stain for the back and sides of the body like the burst LPs, but otherwise I can't really think of anything I'd have different. Wow!

Yes, absolutely I like the DC flat tops - in fact (and I'm assuming from the pics its a flat top) that guitar of AXE's would just about represent guitar perfection to me. Absolutely love it - maybe I'd go for a slightly cherry stain for the back and sides of the body like the burst LPs, but otherwise I can't really think of anything I'd have different. Wow!

Yeah its well nice...

Theres a thread about it here.... http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/112952-its-here/page__hl__axe and one more picture.. I think it may be flat.. not too sure..

Very cool though... If I could make something that looked like that id be real happy [thumbup]

Rabs, I think you go for perfectly milled design but your outlines end up being organic whether you want them to be or not. You might do better to go with your strengths of making less-rigid shapes and stick with designs that more closely match what you've made. I don't think you should try to go for perfectly-machined near-symmetrical designs. I would make it intentionally asymmetrical.

I would not make the upper and lower bouts the same. I like your lower horn, but I think it should be the upper horn design... it's quirky and good. What if you chop the lower one? You don't need it, and if it looks almost symmetrical but not quite, it'll look like a mistake, so why not make them different? Your lower bouts are already a bit exaggerated, too. Why not push that as a design element? Can they be more asymmetrical while still looking good?

I made a few outlines on your pic and attached the image to this post. One that's close to your existing shape in blue (except the lower horn), and then another where I skewed the lower bouts to further accentuate the asymmetry. I don't know that either of these are winners, but I think they serve to show what a little messing around might do. I think exploring different shapes might be worth while.

You're making comparisons to carved-tops. If you're making a flat top, it'll have a very different look and feel.

Also, you can work on the computer with outlines, print at 100%, then use spray adhesive to attach your printed template to your wood. It'll come off later and it'll make following your template much easier. (check out this video

to see a similar technique).

And of course, this is just the outline. What about a chamfer like a strat has where your right arm is? Will the edges have sharp corners with binding? Slightly rounded and unbound? Deeply chiseled like an SG, or rounded like a strat? All things worth consideration. Maybe it's worth testing a few edge techniques on some scrap wood before cutting into the good stuff.

Whatever you end up building, good luck with it. It's so important to keep making and trying new things, it makes you a better craftsperson and more rounded person.

post-34777-074833000 1421710311_thumb.jpg

Whatever you end up building, good luck with it. It's so important to keep making and trying new things, it makes you a better craftsperson and more rounded person.

Wow.. thanks for all of that input.. I do appreciate feedback and ideas and that you took the time to even draw them for me :)

Both are interesting... The one thing I am sort of looking for in my shapes is that traditional look.. so the blue one I would say fits in more with what I like, but the orange one has a modern pointy look to it which is interesting but maybe not quite me (you wait I will probably have to try it now I said that [rolleyes])

And yes the word you used there is totally me, Organic lol.. I just kinda feel my way through a project and sort of let it tell me what to do depending on the exact piece of wood im working with.. But then when I see a pic of a guitar like Axe had made, I think wow.. Even if I only ever make one guitar like that, I want to do it for the same reason I want to do all of my builds, to try it and see if I can :)

Apparently, so I have heard.. Most luthiers out there sadly are confined to making LP, Tele and Strat copies and their own shapes are never as in demand as the copies... I think its something I need to do to make sure I can. Even if as I say, I only ever make one like that.

So today I made the final adjustments to my new templates (one based on sg50's feedback).. and now im happy with them :)

Im still not 100% which one I will start with yet...

So did take my Double Cut along today and made sure I was super accurate with my cutting.. Right on the line :)

DSC_0905_zps49b01f45.jpg

NICE!

DSC_0907_zps238f2084.jpg

So these are my three new ones

DSC_0908_zps79c768fb.jpg

DSC_0910_zpsc3883232.jpg

Yet again I still wasn't quite happy with this one

DSC_0911_zpsb2ac587f.jpg

So I turned it into this ;) But still wanst happy with that top horn so I drew on it

DSC_0918_zpsd72dcda4.jpg

And now it looks like this

DSC_0920_zps5cfbe421.jpg

So that leaves me with three pretty cool shapes

DSC_0921_zps9330c337.jpg

So the next bit.. Make the wood block for the body..

I really wanted to use Utile as I love the grain on it, but didn't have that much left.. So this will be a three piece body that will sort of look like a neck through when its done

So measured the size of the wood I need for the biggest body (the Gibby DC copy)

DSC_0923_zpsa2200826.jpg

Cool :)

DSC_0924_zps82fe0101.jpg

Then you gotta check that the edges are flat enough.. Simple test.. Place them on top of each other and look for light showing through.. which there was none ..

DSC_0925_zps75a501b9.jpg

So glue and clamp time .. and lol yes its messy.. I dropped it all when putting the first clamp on and the glue went all over the place.. Not to worry though, that will all sand off easy enough

DSC_0928_zps639d5757.jpg

Tomorrow I will shape the wood (as it needs a good 24hrs drying before you work on glued wood. And start on the neck for which I also have something special lined up ;).

More then [thumbup]

Word !! :)

So today is day 3 of this build (looks like this is turning into a proper build thread, hopefully this one wont take a year to complete ;))

Body is cut. and ive glued the fretboard on the neck piece too...

So heres the wood block which I outline with a pencil

DSC_0932_zpsf613042f.jpg

I then cut the wood to the rough shape with my jigsaw

DSC_0933_zpsfced4908.jpg

Then the template comes back and I used my router to give it a nice clean cut

DSC_0938_zps5046ce16.jpg

SWEET :)

DSC_0945_zps8602086c.jpg

So that's all ready for some routing and to have a nice maple top glued to it :)

Then to the neck.. And well for this build im using a really nice board I bought that is pre-fret slotted, pre-radiused and with all its inlays and side dots done :D NICE!! So this will be the first RabsWood to feature trapezoids.

DSC_0949_zpscff0b97c.jpg

So, trussrod slot done

DSC_0952_zps7ea619be.jpg

I am really proud of my trussrod work, I get it perfectly level with the top..

DSC_0955_zps6b070f54.jpg

And then you want to see a little give in the middle which it has [thumbup]

DSC_0956_zps7c4d7187.jpg

So with this method you tape the trussrod off so the channel doesn't fill with glue.. The other way to do it is to make it a few mm deeper and then glue a shim in to it.. Which I did on my first build but I prefer my current method.

DSC_0959_zps79a7dd5c.jpg

And clamped :D

DSC_0960_zps9b263c7d.jpg

Sweet.. so tomorrow I will hopefully get that maple top cut in half for me (then I can make another one with a nice flamy top) glue them together, then I will do some routing for wiring and the control cavity and then stick the top on.. cant wait :D

Follow the path of the AXE young Rabs, and you shall surely discover the light, and in the light you will find the way....

Lol.. yeah.. To be honest im doing this as this is really what I wanted to do on my first door build.. but the cutting of the horns went a bit wrong, then the whole guitar went wrong :)

This time, I know what im doing.. and im going to do it properly (mostly ;)).. Not sure about doing binding yet and still cant decide what colour to do for the top.. Its between, Amber, Cobalt Blue or Wine Red or possibly try a burst, but I need more practice at that yet... ALL are good.. Im sure knowing me I will just decide as im about to put the stain on [rolleyes]

Hello again...

Today I carried on with this build...

So I marked the body out so I can cut channels for the wiring..

DSC_0933_zpsdywcttdb.jpg

Then I rounded off the back edge of the body

DSC_0935_zpsvftpxbms.jpg

Cut the neck down a bit and shaped the headstock (ive taped the board off to protect it)

DSC_0936_zpsii1oaepr.jpg

DSC_0937_zpsl22wukr9.jpg

Routed some wiring channels

DSC_0938_zpstee61dbj.jpg

Then I needed some new templates for my control cavity as the other ones I had made had some router accidents :unsure: First I rough cut them with the router

DSC_0940_zpsrkizetwn.jpg

Then finished them with a file to make sure they are as neat as possible

DSC_0943_zpspmypjnhx.jpg

Then I used it to route the control cavity

DSC_0946_zpsibpjxfkp.jpg

But I made a silly mistake.. I forgot to add bumps for the screws and the input jack.. but I can add some so its not the worst thing ever but I will now need another new inner cavity template [rolleyes] silly billy

Anyway.. Then the last thing for tody was just to glue the cap together... So that will be ready tomorrow to glue on to the body

DSC_0947_zpsdxjkakeu.jpg

DSC_0948_zpsdky9u7xw.jpg

So we are getting there... Im trying to make sure this build ends up as my perfect vision of what I think my guitars should look like and what I have been working towards for the last year and a half or so.

More tomorrow.. When I will glue the cap on and try and get the neck ready for gluing. (oh and do a neck pocket) [thumbup]

Hello again to anyone following...

Just a quicky today I didn't get a chance to do much as I had some other stuff to tae care of.. So the time I did get to work I speant just making sure everything is flat (a hard job to do by hand).. Since when I glue the cap and body together they really need to be almost perfectly flat for it to work without looking terrible. Plus I need some new router bits (serves me right for using Oak :)) to do a few of the next jobs coming which I will have to order online as they don't have what I want locally.

Anyway so yes, I bought a cool headstock veneer which is 2.5mm thick and the reason being that I want to match the body so what ever colour I end up with will go on the headstock too..

DSC_0951_zpsdsi8wouw.jpg

Glued and clamped... I think I just about got enough clamps on there ;)

DSC_0952_zpsyun2o4gs.jpg

So that will be ready for shaping tomorrow.

More then and as always, thanks for watching [thumbup] :)

So I have four finishes in mind (colour wise)...

Which one do you think?

Im even thinking about doing a natural finish like that All Wood Les Paul...

But I just made these up as im experimenting with hardware look...

See what you think, and please let me know which colour you think looks best (I know its up to me but I cant decide :))

Imaghtynyrtn4re2_zpsbkfwluxk.jpg

Imakgjkgggkgkkge1_zpsmx1pom5z.jpg

Imagtyj45trheterhe1_zpssy6gf8ag.jpg

Archived