Gibson Brands Forums

Im going backwards..... new Double Cut body build

Rabs

That looks great Rabs - best yet for sure!

The more you can replicate the bass horn shape in the treble horn the better. Obviously outer control knobs need to be a little more inboard than that but the layout looks good (though I'd maybe prefer a mini HB in neck and then middle and bridge Strat pickups - but that's always just going to be down to personal preferences of your future customers)

I reckon either see-through blonde like a Tele or honey like AXE's custom-made guitar would look great for colours (I may have said that previously).

nice work - good looking guitar. [thumbup]

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks great Rabs - best yet for sure!

The more you can replicate the bass horn shape in the treble horn the better. Obviously outer control knobs need to be a little more inboard than that but the layout looks good (though I'd maybe prefer a mini HB in neck and then middle and bridge Strat pickups - but that's always just going to be down to personal preferences of your future customers)

I reckon either see-through blonde like a Tele or honey like AXE's custom-made guitar would look great for colours (I may have said that previously).

nice work - good looking guitar. [thumbup]

Thank you sir... and yes exactly, I will use the guitars template and use the top horn as my guide and will work it out from there :)

It is really scary to do such a drastic adjustment at this stage, but if I can get to look like that mock up, I will be absolutely fine with that :) The problem is I will have to do it REALLY carefully to avoid chipping on the guitars edges.

Hello all...

So today I went ahead and did it.. YUP I cut the bugger :unsure:

The first thing I did was to mark the ends of the scratchplate as to not go over (that would be very silly)

DSC_1138_zpsuxx60c4o.jpg

Then I used the DC templates top horn and marked out my line

DSC_1140_zps4dyduydr.jpg

DSC_1141_zpsxu8vxtek.jpg

Preped for surgery doctor :) (the extra board is there to give me a level platform between the fretboard and the body)

DSC_1142_zps7fpjatc9.jpg

First cut goes well.. perfect [thumbup] (no chipping)

DSC_1144_zpsgduz24tt.jpg

and done (roughly, it will obviously need some fine tuning)

DSC_1146_zpsey16t66x.jpg

DSC_1147_zpsdgtf3el5.jpg

and from the back

DSC_1148_zpsdsbhnvjb.jpg

But it does the job I wanted, you can actually reach the highest fret now :) (no worse than a LP now)

DSC_1149_zpsqqulrgr4.jpg

more below

So I will smooth all that out...

One of the other things I needed to do today was to finish trimming the cavity lip and get the 5 way switch in deep enough so its free to move fully left and right...

And look at that.. Exactly on

DSC_1151_zpsjnaliufc.jpg

DSC_1152_zps69ejvhmt.jpg

What I had to do was route a little step inside the cavity so the switch sits inside it and gives me the correct height for the switch tip

DSC_1156_zpsywsbgly9.jpg

and I check the pots would stick out nicely which they will :)

DSC_1157_zps922mxsqv.jpg

So back to the horn.. I smoothed all the new edges out

DSC_1164_zpspbgewnkq.jpg

And there we have it. my ahhem new DC shape :)

DSC_1169_zpsmzgyivkj.jpg

DSC_1171_zpsebwvdijp.jpg

So now all that's left is some final sanding to make sure any marks its picked up are gone and I can FINALLY finish it :) Wooooo :D

Well, have a good weekend one and all and more next week [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Bloody hell mate. I can't believe you did it. It looks great too. I saw the second mock up and thought it looked good but then I realised you'd done it. Very brave man!

Bloody hell mate. I can't believe you did it. It looks great too. I saw the second mock up and thought it looked good but then I realised you'd done it. Very brave man!

Cheers...

And yup, I was sh**ting it. lol.. it could EASILY have chipped, then I would have been buggered.. But it seems the guitar gods were looking out for me :)

PHEW!! ;)

Congratulations. Looks ok too!

When you look inside some MIJ Fender Strats they have little extra routs in the cavity for the pots and switch.

How many more bodies have you got cut out?

Thank you sir :)

And I actually have about 30 bodies cut in my own shapes anyway :unsure: and I got all sorts of wood from maple to utile (the mahogany looking stuff) to Paduke to Poplar and Pine.. I got LOADS of cool stuff coming yet [thumbup]

In many ways im still in an experimental stage of my development.. When I feel I have got every process down to a T I will go full steam ahead at this.. (I hope :unsure: )

Cheers...

And yup, I was sh**ting it. lol.. it could EASILY have chipped, then I would have been buggered.. But it seems the guitar gods were looking out for me :)

PHEW!! ;)

glad it went well mate!!!! I thought it wouldn't. anyway it's lookin good got prs look to it, just a thought for t future how about making a mock up neck that you can clamp in place so ya don't kill a good one.

oh by the way i'm trying to interfere i'm just a chippy that loves guitar

That is really looking sharp Rabs. I like the binding and the guard. Nice!

Thanks man :) (and you other guys).

And ive been thinking about what to do about the binding I cut away... because obviously when I stain it you will see very clearly where it stops.. So I was thinking either to do a small bevel, thus making it look more like its meant to be like that OR maybe when I stain it mask a small line off and have like a fake binding (even though when I add finish it will go from white to a yellowish tint)??

I guess I could try an make a new binding channel and try to match it... but that will be really hard with the neck on.

not sure about that yet.

Hello all.

Hope you had a good weekend :)

Sooooo.. today the finishing finally started..

First things first is I gave the whole guitar a good sanding at 320 grit to remove any sanding marks or whatever.. And it was a nice day for it :) Smooooothhhh

DSC_1177_zpslqmbupop.jpg

DSC_1178_zpsj8tuyr4z.jpg

Its just the first layers of colour today most of which will probably get sanded back and more layers put on top.. but we will see how that goes..

So first I did the back which I decided I wanted slightly darker than natural so I put a brown stain on it. But first I masked off the top as to not get any of that dark stain on it.

DSC_1179_zpsjvelq2a5.jpg

Then on goes the brown

DSC_1183_zpskcucwyzw.jpg

Also to lighten it up and bring the grain out a bit more I hit it with some yellow

DSC_1186_zpsc0sfuklu.jpg

You can see it gives it a nice hue

DSC_1191_zpsdqmmovos.jpg

DSC_1192_zpsc5oolxgo.jpg

I have got some blotchiness that will need sanding back, but that's no issue

DSC_1193_zpsdtmbexld.jpg

Then below I do the front :D

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!!

DSC_1196_zpssmvxyaop.jpg

and the headstock too

DSC_1199_zpstzovmhid.jpg

Here you can see why I decided to do the back a bit darker, I think the contrast really looks good

DSC_1202_zpsvrt9iwan.jpg

Plus I want the top a bit darker so I put another layer of colour on and started giving it a slight burst (which will look better when sanded back and re-stained).

DSC_1203_zpsiavo0jch.jpg

DSC_1204_zpshtbjkfqn.jpg

DSC_1206_zpsouoroz0b.jpg

Looking nice :) (and that's even before I sand it back and re-stain which will give the flame more depth

DSC_1209_zpshp79fkfl.jpg

So then just out of interest I decided to stick the scratchplate in place to get an idea

DSC_1210_zps8g3qplhf.jpg

DSC_1212_zpstws3d3au.jpg

So there we are... Nice start.. and I should finish the staining part tomorrow.. then goes on the tru oil [thumbup]

DSC_1214_zpsm3jpfvuu.jpg

More tomorrow :)

This one is turning out good Rabs. I wonder how it will play, hint, hint.

Lol.. cheers man :) yes im pretty happy with it so far... not perfect.. but another step towards where I want to be :)

And yes, im sure you WILL get to have a go ;) (that single cut wont be too long now either).

Hello all and welcome back....

Today... I did the last coats of stain and the binding scraping and the first coat of tru oil... :)

So heres where we were at

DSC_1174_zpspryggc6i.jpg

I start adding more layers of blue, trying to get a subtle burst effect which I think went so so..

DSC_1177_zpstabyif6t.jpg

Here you can see im blending it in a bit more

DSC_1187_zpsxjkza8jq.jpg

So when I get it where I want it I start the binding scraping with a blade... and its an interesting feeling when you get it right. What you do is scrape at a slight angle, and then you see how much you take off then lower the angle a tiny bit till you hit the back edge..

DSC_1198_zpsq6wycv09.jpg

And done (mostly :)) I have a small issue with the binding I will go in to a bit later

DSC_1199_zpsnabmdncp.jpg

Then I wasn't sure I was going to do this but did anyway and am glad.. I had (I cant remember if I mentioned this) given the lower horn a slight bevel (and it feels really nice as a result) so I decided to scrape away the stain on that section too (scraping works well for wood as well as plastic).

DSC_1200_zpsth7w80uy.jpg

NICE [thumbup]

DSC_1202_zpsrtofmmgt.jpg

DSC_1203_zpsfwcw8vub.jpg

And this is how the back is looking.. You can see how I sanded it back a bit and removed those blotches

DSC_1210_zpskbq4l7h6.jpg

So there we are.. Its as good as its going to get.. and don't forget this is my first binding attempt so I think turned out ok (if not quite perfect)

DSC_1213_zpspkfaghqw.jpg

More below

Then I added the first layer of Tru Oil.. love that stuff :)

DSC_1215_zpsenyzfj3t.jpg

DSC_1218_zpsd4jsd8hr.jpg

Nice.. :)

DSC_1222_zpsqvdzczp4.jpg

Now here you will see that binding issue I talked about... For some reason I ended up with this weird cracking effect (maybe just where I scrapped it too deep???) and the blue stain has obviously got in there.. I tried scraping and scraping in those areas and yes it would not go.. I had to stop in the end or there would be no binding left.. Weird?

DSC_1229_zpsopwquezz.jpg

BUT generally you don't even see that and I think most of it looks ok

DSC_1231_zpst7fwdkyv.jpg

DSC_1237_zpskusacnox.jpg

DSC_1238_zpseya2vxbu.jpg

Also one last thing I did before I added any oil was to sand the edges of the headstock down.. but in looking at this pic what I think I will do tomorrow is sand a small bevel on and get rid of all the blue on the sides

DSC_1242_zpspwr2pzod.jpg

Looks ok from the top though :)

DSC_1241_zpszgy91f6t.jpg

So there we are.. the oiling will take all week at least so I may not report back on this one till its finished but I still have that Single cut to do..

More soon.. and as always.. Thanks for watching [thumbup]

That looks good to me!

Please do pm me again when the time comes as I definitely want a go on this one.

Cheers man..

And yes sure I will :) I will try and give people more notice this time around too..

Hello all...

just a quick update today...

SO I got some oil on the rest of the body of the double cut now

DSC_1173_zpsag1v7him.jpg

Some nice looking wood that.. its amazing how much a clear coat make so much difference to the look

DSC_1176_zpsasv83svb.jpg

DSC_1178_zpsvj7mr2ju.jpg

And then after that dried I put another layer on the front (after a quick rub down with 600 grit paper)

f6bc56b0-4279-447c-955d-3102248cfb64_zps0halc4as.jpg

DSC_1190_zpso9lssfl0.jpg

And then back to the single cut while that oil dries.. And im pretty happy so far... I think this will be my neatest neck joint yet. That's now ready to be glued in. And I did the inlays and dot markers today.. So tomorrow the fretboard will get a radius and then its ready to become one with the body :)

DSC_1193_zpsfv13uvib.jpg

DSC_1196_zpssvhbzb6a.jpg

More tomorrow [thumbup]

Just a couple of quick shots today...

Its getting shinier :)

6d7d858b-c76c-48c1-9fda-cce242ee7067_zpst9fx8xfe.jpg

DSC_1173_zpsxhqw6xzx.jpg

Apart from that I radius'd the fretboard for the single cut today.. frets go on tomorrow.. then the neck gets glued in [thumbup]

More soon :)

Archived