Gibson Brands Forums

Im going backwards..... new Double Cut body build

Rabs

Guest Farnsbarns

It looks like you've got it sorted, just some time to put in. Look on the bright side, you've made yourself some more guitar building work to do and you seem to enjoy it so that can't be bad!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like you've got it sorted, just some time to put in. Look on the bright side, you've made yourself some more guitar building work to do and you seem to enjoy it so that can't be bad!

Yeah as I say.. not really the end of the world.. BUT if I was on the clock this would be costing me big time.. but that's why im going through all this, to build my skills up to a point where its like.. Hey look what I can do and what I did to get there...

Just very frustrating.. How many times now have I said I am about to finish the DC, and now it looks as if the SC will finish first but was built way later [rolleyes]

Oh well... I have been told that one of the hardest skills to master in this sort of field is colour matching on repair jobs.. So this gives me some nice experience as you say.. not that im saying id dare work on someones prized vintage instrument just yet.. But hopefully I will get there.

It is simple.

Your guitar has the blues.

I look forward to playing it. [thumbup]

Haha... I guess you could say that.. maybe I should have gone for red? ;)

And yes I look forward to that day too, very much... [thumbup]

Hello all and welcome back.. Hope you had a good weekend :)

As you may have seen from the threads sub title im still not really happy with whats going on here...

Ive got the areas flat again which is cool.. But for some reason I cant seem to get the colour to stay were I want it...

DSC_1262_zpstobb60eo.jpg

DSC_1263_zpse70nlnr0.jpg

I know its only small.. but you can just see here the two areas where the colour is lighter... its is hugely annoying

DSC_1271_zpsxq4udg71.jpg

DSC_1279_zpsgtvrrxeo.jpg

DSC_1280_zps5iaaeu2f.jpg

Here you can see.. it looks like the guitar has a spot

DSC_1285_zpsf8bjrkoz.jpg

And even by the end of the day its still not looking quite right..

DSC_1326_zpsdtjcsgtj.jpg

DSC_1328_zpsqvhk4dc4.jpg

So.. im not sure what to do at this point..

I think that the reason that the colour isn't taking so well is that tru oil does sink in to the wood quite deep.. so even though I can snad off the top layer the wood is saturated in oil.. Which I think is why its not taking.. So my main worry right now is that if I cant get this sorted my next step would be to sand the whole top down and start again.. but im worried with all the oil that it wont now take any finish cleanly... Or I can just spend more days on this small area hoping I can get it???

Such a pain... I guess I will do some research tonight and make some kind of decision tomorrow.

Anyway. more below on the single cut and my new double cut half and half body.

No problems here [thumbup]

You can see again, the oil layers are slowly filling the grain on the top.. I can actually stop any time I want now on this build as its sealed and doesn't really need an ultra shiny flat top or anything.. so I may do my last coat on this tomorrow. Its a see how it looks and stop when you are happy type thing.

DSC_1290_zpseuwoq5pf.jpg

DSC_1291_zpsh26dhplw.jpg

bd05234d-1f6a-4411-8cc1-541876c580fd_zpsydsbvnfr.jpg

DSC_1298_zpspjdoa6dv.jpg

DSC_1300_zpsvfcnhyyq.jpg

So that's almost there and has no issues... [thumbup]

Also remember that new half and half double cut im doing.. Well today I learned an interesting lesson about grain..... What was weird about the body is that the bottom half is clearly Utile, but the top half even though looks like it and feels like it has really straight grain.. So I searched my many pieces of wood to see if I could match the two halfs and could only find the bottom type (with the nice grain patterns)...

Then I realised that it actually was the same wood but the top half has been cut with the side grain showing and the bottom half with the top grain.. It just so happened that each time I sanded a piece down to check it I kept sanding the top grain (by accident).. You see I get all my wood rough sawn so I have to sand it down first to see what the grain looks like.

On this shot you will see what im on about

DSC_1311_zps5isbafub.jpg

And the second piece where I will have the side grain on top.

DSC_1312_zpsaocciuxf.jpg

And with the body

DSC_1315_zpsmafh5lpn.jpg

So this is gluing tonight and I can start work on this neck tomorrow [thumbup]

DSC_1322_zps6npq4njk.jpg

More soon.. and as always (I have to say this :)) Thanks for watching [thumbup]

Well Rabs

Seems you really are having to learn the hardest ways......

the doublecut has been problematic from the start but keep going!!

Tell me about it [rolleyes]

And yes.. don't worry.. it would take more than this to stop me.. however annoying :)

Hello all and welcome back today...

So yup.. I had enough of this bloody top so I went and took the whole thing back.. which really I probably should have done in the first place...

Here we are almost bare again

DSC_1261_zpshbwa2km0.jpg

Man.. it was such a relief when the colour was back on... phew

cd731e4f-cfe1-42ad-ac32-be8108d86e9d_zpsqj1ytx9z.jpg

DSC_1279_zpsv5nquble.jpg

DSC_1286_zpsxkztm8o1.jpg

And all smooth again :D

DSC_1288_zpshwi5wf60.jpg

DSC_1289_zpsbwv7oqb7.jpg

And heres how we are looking at the end of the day [thumbup] much better, but will need another going over tomorrow.. if you look at the area by the control holes you will see theres a small bit of blotchiness....

DSC_1302_zpsnu9pzx0o.jpg

DSC_1306_zpsav9fyogx.jpg

Also just quickly I got that half and half neck shaped now.. so tomorrow I can stick a trussrod in it and glue the fretboard on.. Nice :) Its not quite what I wanted, would have been way better if te grain on the bottom was more circular than wavy.. This may turn out to be a quarter guitar :) (its all good, it should certainly be interesting)

DSC_1294_zps8eqaks00.jpg

31a28dfa-836a-4b46-9794-c0b87418f5bd_zpsja98p3ew.jpg

Hello all...

Been a few busy days.. so not too much going on..

I have the double cut where I want it again ( [rolleyes] ) and I think the Single cut is ready for a good buffing and then its hardware.. But I have lost my work space for a few days while some family are staying over.. then next week I loose it again for a week cos my sister and her lot are coming... So its gonna be REALLY slow as where the guitars are sitting at the moment theres pretty much no room to work. And at this point id rather wait and do it when I have enough space rather than risk something else going wrong (working in cramped conditions is not really a good idea)...

So heres just a few shots so you can see where the DC is at...

DSC_1260_zpsx5bs8jhn.jpg

DSC_1261_zpswed1iwdh.jpg

DSC_1262_zpss8xyobxv.jpg

DSC_1268_zpsrybvtxxc.jpg

DSC_1272_zpsyuhm6ov1.jpg

DSC_1274_zpsx0qtfamh.jpg

So there we are... the DC will have another few days of oiling from tomorrow (leaving the stain to dry in over night) and then I will start getting the electrics ready to drop in too while the DC is getting finished. (and work on that half and half too)

Well not too interesting.. but we really are almost there now.. and when I do videos I will also make sure I do it through my amp this time to get full tone :)

More soon.. and thanks for watching [thumbup]

Hello all...

Been a few busy days.. so not too much going on..

I have the double cut where I want it again ( [rolleyes] ) and I think the Single cut is ready for a good buffing and then its hardware.. But I have lost my work space for a few days while some family are staying over.. then next week I loose it again for a week cos my sister and her lot are coming... So its gonna be REALLY slow as where the guitars are sitting at the moment theres pretty much no room to work. And at this point id rather wait and do it when I have enough space rather than risk something else going wrong (working in cramped conditions is not really a good idea)...

So heres just a few shots so you can see where the DC is at...

DSC_1260_zpsx5bs8jhn.jpg

DSC_1261_zpswed1iwdh.jpg

DSC_1262_zpss8xyobxv.jpg

DSC_1268_zpsrybvtxxc.jpg

DSC_1272_zpsyuhm6ov1.jpg

DSC_1274_zpsx0qtfamh.jpg

So there we are... the DC will have another few days of oiling from tomorrow (leaving the stain to dry in over night) and then I will start getting the electrics ready to drop in too while the DC is getting finished. (and work on that half and half too)

Well not too interesting.. but we really are almost there now.. and when I do videos I will also make sure I do it through my amp this time to get full tone :)

More soon.. and thanks for watching [thumbup]

Lookin' good Rabs. How did you get the "spots" out of the Blue finish?

Nevermind, I just saw the post where you sanded and refinished.

Lookin' good Rabs. How did you get the "spots" out of the Blue finish?

Cheers man.... Well if you look a few posts above you will see :)

I sanded the whole thing down and started again.. which I probably should have done in the first place [rolleyes]

the sc's lookin awesome mate [thumbup] [thumbup]

Cheers man.. Its pretty much ready. I need to d a bit of rubbing down on the sides but that's about it.. If it wernt for all these small delays it would have been finished by now.. But there you go...

Wont be long now (he says :))

Hello again...

Sooo.. here we are back to scraping again :) Im happy with the way the stain looks on the body...

DSC_1259_zpsq78hxvry.jpg

And scraped (again [rolleyes] :)

DSC_1262_zpss6rgfeqt.jpg

And oiled... ahhh such a relief to see it like this again

DSC_1265_zps9fztbm5u.jpg

DSC_1267_zpsshjxktal.jpg

Smoooooth !! :D

DSC_1275_zpsime9jj0n.jpg

DSC_1276_zpsefvsufun.jpg

DSC_1280_zpss8yicr2z.jpg

And here we are at the end of the day.. [thumbup]

DSC_1289_zpsguz5q3sv.jpg

DSC_1293_zpslnv1jdvt.jpg

And one obligatory shot of the lovely SC :)

DSC_1274_zps3zmumdku.jpg

So there we go.. All is good in the hood...

Have a great Easter weekend one and all and will be back next week with more [thumbup]

Hello all and welcome back... Hope you had a nice Easter...

Today I decided that ive had enough.. I kinda wanted a thicker finish on the Double Cut but I just cant do it any more... Enough is enough :)

So here we are after todays last couple of coats

DSC_1280_zpsi7vrvbcg.jpg

Looking shiny enough I guess.. and they haven't been polished yet

DSC_1277_zpsqhwupiuq.jpg

DSC_1282_zpsfb5edvgd.jpg

As is the Single Cut which has had a few more layers too

DSC_1278_zpsdg9a4l7t.jpg

DSC_1285_zpsc5kcv2pv.jpg

So that's that... Ive now (as I think I mentioned)got family down for the next week with 3 kids and 2 dogs running about so I may need to wait till they are gone to do my electrics (soldering irons and kids/puppies do not mix well, how ever cautious you are) but I shall begin the buffing tomorrow and see hwo shiny I can get it in the mean time :)

More soon.... [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO.. im back :)

So as mentioned in my last post ive had a small break while my family were down.. Its just too hard to work with 3 kids and 2 dogs running around getting into all sorts of mischief.. I cant imagine what would happen if any of them got hold of my tools, glue or wood stains lol..

But anyway im back from today.....

So I started buffing.. I think that im gonna do a bit more tomorrow and then I will get to the wiring and it all goes together... :D

Heres how we are looking

DSC_1365_zpskarkkhkk.jpg

DSC_1366_zpsibydwifk.jpg

Pretty shiny even though I haven't done any grain filling so it wont ever be flat mirror type.. but not bad :)

DSC_1417_zps60g72swi.jpg

DSC_1381_zpsjpvh4vtd.jpg

Then it was time to finally take the masking tape off the fretboard

92ee8150-b49d-4a2a-86db-e4e2f46431f3_zpsoeukf7yh.jpg

That poor fretboard has gotten pretty dry so as always.. time for some lemon oil... Ahhh, that's better :)

DSC_1382_zpsemnopqh3.jpg

5fdde732-f10b-4a9b-ab2a-fb1812d57572_zpsexs2izul.jpg

And then the single cut gets the same treatment

DSC_1384_zpsnfwbto9j.jpg

More beolow

And heres the back of the Double Cut.. also getting nice and shiny

DSC_1395_zps1fxmaxkn.jpg

DSC_1402_zpsmc6xzcio.jpg

Im pretty happy with the colour now and how it all turned out in the end :)

ff43112b-97cb-40fc-9829-32010a1aabde_zpsvi9tkl7h.jpg

Here I put the scratchplate on just to have a look [thumbup]

DSC_1420_zps70adp4ko.jpg

So there we are.. two guitars almost done.. just a tiny bit more buffing then the electrics.. then the REALLY fun part ;)

DSC_1411_zpshdeeqqcr.jpg

More soon...

And as always thanks for watching [thumbup]

Looking nice with the scratchplate on!

IMO they both look really good, never mind any grain filling etc....

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Cheers man...

And yeah, I kinda like the non filled look.. Looks more like wood :)

I will have to though at some point try a fully glossy thick finish.. Just to try it and know I can do it... (along with the other 500 things I want to try :))

Evenin all....

Today I finished the buffing stage... and really gave it some welly :) (which really is what buffing comes down too, a crap load of elbow grease)

DSC_1364_zpsdlnhdjdi.jpg

DSC_1366_zpsadf6hzgq.jpg

Also did the remaining fretwork so that's all nice and ready to go

DSC_1360_zpsii31qjwr.jpg

Then on went the tuners, nut, bridge and tailpiece (and obviously the earth wire for the bridge) :D

DSC_1381_zpskqgscwzw.jpg

DSC_1385_zpsaaityjj4.jpg

Also as a side note (cos it doesn't really impact anything) im using a carved nut I got off ebay for this guitar

DSC_1388_zpsmkp0louk.jpg

DSC_1389_zps83qfbkph.jpg

I then tested the strings were all lined up well and they were

DSC_1392_zpsgeql1vo4.jpg

DSC_1395_zpsa1gcsanv.jpg

Nice.. so its all going good.... Tomorrow I will hopefully get the wiring done then we are practically done.. I still have the trussrod cover and cavity cover to do.. but that's it... :D

Nearly there guys and gals [thumbup]

More soon.

Evenin all....

Today I finished the buffing stage... and really gave it some welly :) (which really is what buffing comes down too, a crap load of elbow grease)

DSC_1364_zpsdlnhdjdi.jpg

DSC_1366_zpsadf6hzgq.jpg

Also did the remaining fretwork so that's all nice and ready to go

DSC_1360_zpsii31qjwr.jpg

Then on went the tuners, nut, bridge and tailpiece (and obviously the earth wire for the bridge) :D

DSC_1381_zpskqgscwzw.jpg

DSC_1385_zpsaaityjj4.jpg

Also as a side note (cos it doesn't really impact anything) im using a carved nut I got off ebay for this guitar

DSC_1388_zpsmkp0louk.jpg

DSC_1389_zps83qfbkph.jpg

I then tested the strings were all lined up well and they were

DSC_1392_zpsgeql1vo4.jpg

DSC_1395_zpsa1gcsanv.jpg

Nice.. so its all going good.... Tomorrow I will hopefully get the wiring done then we are practically done.. I still have the trussrod cover and cavity cover to do.. but that's it... :D

Nearly there guys and gals [thumbup]

More soon.

So very close! Is the SC far behind in terms of finishing? Exciting stuff, Rabs! [lol]

Archived