Gibson Brands Forums

Im going backwards..... new Double Cut body build

Rabs

Hello all...

Just here with a quick one today..

Ive decided to actually take a break from the blue DC cos im just really annoyed with it so I think its best I leave it alone for a few days and get this new DC done...

And my sister an nephews are coming here for the next week so I wont get much done but its good timing I think.... :) I can also use this time to get some more of the content ready for my web site so its all good.

So today I had to clean all my tools up and have a good sort out cos they need the room I work in to sleep in.. and I just cleaned up the binding on this new DC...

All good so far [thumbup] (and yes I will be double checking the scale lengths of my boards from now on [rolleyes] )

Heres a shot where I had wet the body to clean it up a bit which is always cool as you get a rough idea of what it may look like with some finish on

DSC_1407_zpsruhsukc0.jpg

DSC_1409_zpsiaeui0wi.jpg

DSC_1410_zpshc5ljtlu.jpg

So there we are.. im not sure when I will be back, I will see what I can get done with 3 kids and 2 dogs running around the place :)

So have a great weekend one and all (bank holiday weekend in the UK) and I will update this thread soon (ish) [thumbup]

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way this is the very rough design of the above guitar..

Its gonna have two hummers, two volumes a master tone and a boost switch...

So should be fairly interesting :)

half%20and%20half%20design3_zpspxhmzecq.jpg

I found it a bit odd looking at first but the more I look at it the more I like it :)

Hopefully it will become reality pretty soon [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...

HELLO one and all... Im back with my builds :)

So its been three weeks since my last post (where the hell does the time go??)... And that's because my work room has been in use the last two weeks with house guests and ive also been working on my web site... Ive decided now to wait till my half and halfs are finished as I really want them to be the stars of the show...

The last we saw was when I was working on the dark half and half which I think will look cool but isn't what I really wanted from the idea.. The main idea was to do a light wood one side and a dark wood the other, providing a real contrast..

Also these next two guitars WILL be perfect.. In other builds when I have realised that stuff has gone wrong I usually just keep building knowing it wont be perfect for the extra experience (cos the more I build the better I get), so this time im not going to settle for any thing at all that's not 100%.. they WILL be perfect :)

So heres the new half and half body. and yes its another Double Cut shape... (sorry Gibson its just my favourite shape ever :)).. I think though that on my next models I should start using my own shapes... I just really like the DC (as you all know)...

DSC_1435_zpsheosmgl2.jpg

REALLY happy with this body.. its exactly what id imagined (Utile and Ash)

DSC_1437_zpsm4ls7wwd.jpg

And actually I already have a neck ready for this.. just needs inlays and fretting

DSC_1438_zpsclqii5ld.jpg

So that's two I will have done well, hopefully all the actual building next week and then its just the finishing (which I may use nitro on these just cos I have several cans of it, and its the right time of year).. But we will see on that.. And that first neck I had ready for the dark half and half, wasn't good enough, so as said above, im not having that so I made a new one. :) (the wood wasn't even down the middle of the neck so it ruined the half and half look I want)

DSC_1440_zpsxu1gith7.jpg

a5d5e6de-3eb7-47fa-8d04-a83b24309ee8_zpsat2p7suo.jpg

ALSO, I got a really good deal off ebay for some Gibson mini humbuckers which im quite excited about(£60).. They may have to go into the light and dark half and half... As always.. we will see what happens when I get there :)

ededed_57_zpsowzz08zb.jpg

_57_zpsqafd8o7g.jpg

And lastly... As mentioned ive been working on my site.. Each guitar I make will of course have its own page that looks like this at the moment

Imagkjkkgkhe1_zpsp0gmjegn.jpg

So its all go.. Im still going full ahead with this.. and once these builds are done and I do some new videos to show them off then my site goes up, then we will see if anyone is actually interested in what im doing...

Well, have a great weekend one and all and more of my builds next week [thumbup]

And as always.. A big thanks to all those who are still watching hopefully we will have some sort of conclusion to all this soon :)

Hello all..

Back again.. Not done too much with the builds this week.. had other stuff to do...

But im now at a point where after these next lot are finished I will probably stop building for a while and concentrate on the business side of things. And I have enough bits for four more guitars.

So here I have four necks.. Two are for the half and halfs and two for two new builds which I picked the bodies out today

DSC_1434_zps9sgr11kg.jpg

And heres the new bodies...

A padauk hammer shape body which will use the neck I decided not to use on the half and half (you may notice ive slightly changed the horn area design from my previous Hammers)

DSC_1444_zpsrh5lreni.jpg

And a plain maple arrow body with an ash and meranti neck

DSC_1446_zpsmof2pira.jpg

So... like I say.. not too much to report..

Well have a good one and more soon [thumbup]

Hello to all (who are still watching :))

Well my work the last few moths has been sporadic at best... Just the normal life things going on.. But I just haven't seem to have got much done but I am still at it ... Also im about to start looking for a more permenant place to work soon which is exciting.. all I have known is my tent (for those who remember when I started) and the garage that I currently work in.. My own space will be a dream :)

Anyway..

Well all those necks are done

DSC_1453_zpss4wdzj5o.jpg

And I also decided not to use that maple arrow body as I decided to make one that was closer to the neck.. So I made two pine bodies with a meranti strip down the middle to match the neck (the neck is ash and meranti)

DSC_1451_zpsy4v0thup.jpg

DSC_1452_zpsihu5db2t.jpg

So I have those (haven't decided which shape yet) and the half and halfs

DSC_1455_zpsn4q4btqz.jpg

And the padauk body

DSC_1456_zpsreixcslb.jpg

So next is to make the tennons and tennon cavities and then I can start gluing :)

Hopefully more tomorrow... and I will get back to my routine again...

And as always, thanks to anyone still watching... [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Pssst... mortices, not tennon cavities...

Hehe. Just kidding. Looking good mate. Have you got a finished half and half yet? I don't think we've seen one but maybe I just forgot?

Pssst... mortices, not tennon cavities...

Hehe. Just kidding. Looking good mate. Have you got a finished half and half yet? I don't think we've seen one but maybe I just forgot?

lol :)

Nope not yet.. The nearest one is the dark half and half above (the one with the mortise hole innit ;)) for which I had a neck but wasn't happy with it 100% so I made a new one...

Shouldn't be too long now. (plus its too hot to jam at the moment, can you imagine how stuffy it would be in there)...

Evnin all...

Just a quick shot today...

First half and half body and neck is glued WOoooooo!! :)

DSC_1471_zpstxk2af1l.jpg

NICE!!

Really excited to get these going and the proper light and dark half and half will get done on Monday.. Then we are rockin :)

Anyway..

Have a great weekend one and all and more on these soon [thumbup]

That is cool the two face guitar!

Can't wait to see it with some colour.

Cheers man.. And Two Face guitar.. I think I like that (ive been looking for a better name for them than half and half) :)

And well these probably wont get any colour (kinda the point of half and half of two different woods).. BUT once I add a finish all of that grain should really pop out nicely.. So what I may do is put some black stain on and sand it back.. This will help highlight the grain even more.

Sorta like shown in this pic where I wet the body... but it will be even more pronounced.

DSC_1407_zpsruhsukc0.jpg

Hmmm...that makes a lot more sense. Looking at the last pic, I was thinking. It would look interesting when the line where the two parts join would be S shaped insted of sraight. Or with a strage curve and then a pickguard with similar lines.

Hmmm...that makes a lot more sense. Looking at the last pic, I was thinking. It would look interesting when the line where the two parts join would be S shaped insted of sraight. Or with a strage curve and then a pickguard with similar lines.

Well my original name for them was the Yin and Yang guitar but it seemed a bit corny. But yeah ive thought about doing something like that [thumbup]

A few people have brought it to my attention that maybe having two types of wood like that may be a mistake as what may happen is when I come to add finish and the wood gets wet, as they are two very different types of wood it could cause warping as they may dry at a different rate... I think it will be ok.. But we will all see soon enough :)

Guest Farnsbarns

Hmm, not bad but may be a bit too subtle for the general public? :)

How about Woodward.

Then there's a punchline of Rabswoo Woowar somewhere.

Hello all and welcome back...

So I have been working pretty much only on the half an halfs this week...

DSC_1474_zpspawc1vxh.jpg

The light and dark one now has binding.. And considering this is only my third binding job I think its pretty good...

DSC_1475_zpst5bmdn01.jpg

Really got the hard corners nice and tight (I used a hair dryer to heat the binding up a bit around these edges)

DSC_1489_zpsjwpmdwck.jpg

That grain looks nice close up

DSC_1490_zpsvs7xwnxi.jpg

I have also really rounded off the back on this build and im pretty happy with the way it looks

DSC_1476_zps7mrqns0c.jpg

And heres the dark two face? (:))

DSC_1479_zpsp1junyuj.jpg

DSC_1480_zpsexzqbwr8.jpg

I ended the day with re-gluing a couple or areas that got heated up when I sanded them down but no biggie :) (that's why I usually leave it overnight before working on glued things)

DSC_1491_zpsemnsonhg.jpg

So... Looking pretty good me thinks... You can see the dark and light Woowoo [lol] now has a mortise cavity hole thingy so that will have its neck glued tomorrow.. Then we are rockin [thumbup]

More soon :)

Hello all...

Another quickie today...

The light and dark half and half body and neck are now glued :D (about time)

DSC_1492_zpsataptwru.jpg

This guitar (I finally decided) is going to get those Gibson mini hummers in it and it will have a tune o matic wraparound bridge...

And I think the dark half and half will be getting a hardtail tele/strat type bridge with humbucker sized P90s in it [thumbup]

Im still looking at finishing the building of these this week so this thread should really get moving again.

More soon [thumbup]

Rabs - you're an inspiration, dude. Keep it up!

Thanks man... The support is appreciated...

And while I feel im almost there, I don't feel quite happy yet.. Some of my methods are still a bit sloppy.. but I am getting there for sure.. Some decent bench tools would help me out a hell of a lot.. mainly a band saw and an auto planer..

However im still yet to see another guitar made like the one above with two opposing woods like that.. (but we may still find out theres good reason for that when I come to finish it :-k ) :)

If only you were local I'd tell you to come use my company's workshop we have everything you could possibly need. What methods are you struggling with?

Well its even simple stuff like cutting out the bodies as I have to use a jigsaw and router and well it works mostly but isn't as good as if I had a band saw..

That and neck joints.. Getting the tennons just right is really hard, so I may have to change the order I do certain jobs in... Just small things but they make it more difficult for me and can sometimes lead to stuff which while is ok and will work.. just isn't perfect...

Yet.. I will get there :)

Well its even simple stuff like cutting out the bodies as I have to use a jigsaw and router and well it works mostly but isn't as good as if I had a band saw..

That and neck joints.. Getting the tennons just right is really hard, so I may have to change the order I do certain jobs in... Just small things but they make it more difficult for me and can sometimes lead to stuff which while is ok and will work.. just isn't perfect...

Yet.. I will get there :)

Yeah that sounds frustrating. You must be using a lot of jigsaw blades. Over here in the states you can find old but good tools on craigslist for cheap

Have you made a jig to make your neck pockets and tenons the same every time? Or are you doing each one individually?

Yeah that sounds frustrating. You must be using a lot of jigsaw blades. Over here in the states you can find old but good tools on craigslist for cheap

Have you made a jig to make your neck pockets and tenons the same every time? Or are you doing each one individually?

At the moment I do each one as they come.. And you are right, I should make some kind of jig for it (one of those methods I was talking about :)). I will get around to it at some point.

But the reason I do that is that I don't have any set dimensions or plans, I just do it as I go along [rolleyes] (but I do have body templates).

Evnin all...

Well today I got the necks pretty much where I want them.. Mabye some tweaks tomorrow..

DSC_1497_zps2p928jh3.jpg

DSC_1501_zpsdfjcr6we.jpg

DSC_1502_zpsfjbmiz4p.jpg

Also at the end of today I was having a small clean up and sorting through some of my wood stock.. and I have some pieces which well by themselves arnt really much use.. So I came up with a cool idea...

What I did was make a frame from a long thin piece of oak I had which is currently gluing

DSC_1509_zpsko87l1rj.jpg

Now you will see, the frame is big enough to make a body

DSC_1511_zpsjz1iwwlb.jpg

Then what I have is two large and also quite slim pieces of meranti.. So once that frame is dry tomorrow I will then glue one on top and one on the bottom of the frame thus giving me a nice chambered body :) (if you see what I mean)

DSC_1514_zpserkjwqzt.jpg

So that's kinda interesting.. I know I know, I should finish what im doing.. But usually once I get an idea in my head I have to just get stuck in...

So tomorrow I will get to the half and halfs various cavities and holes.. and will glue this new frame body tomorrow :D

More then.. and as always thanks for watching [thumbup]

Archived