Gibson Brands Forums

Install floating pickup

Lylegorch

I'm installing a BJB on my L5C. I bought a pickguard and control kit from archtop.com. What I'm wondering is, it seems like this will flap being that there is only two points of contact on the guitar.

Mine don't flap, but they will move if you press on the pickup. If you find this a problem, wedge a felt block or felt strips between the pickup and the top.

Danny W.

Many of the archtops I've owned have had a support or "foot" as Danny refers to (but under the pickguard, not under the pickup). Often they're glued to the bottom of the guard. Typically they're plastic or hard rubber, with felt on the bottom.

atsetup08.jpg

Many of the archtops I've owned have had a support or "foot" as Danny refers to (but under the pickguard, not under the pickup). Often they're glued to the bottom of the guard. Typically they're plastic or hard rubber, with felt on the bottom.

atsetup08.jpg

Although that stabilizes the pickguard, it can lift if you press on the end of the pickup, which raises the pickguard away from the felt block.

Danny W.

Although that stabilizes the pickguard, it can lift if you press on the end of the pickup, which raises the pickguard away from the felt block.

Danny W.

Simple solution. Don't press on the pickup. :) But seriously, yes, it can still lift. I thought he was looking for that stability factor (that third leg of the tripod, so to speak).

Actually, I forgot to point out that the felt is glued to the bottom of the rubber support (which is glued to the bottom of the guard), so even if the guard lifts, the felt won't go anywhere. Hope this makes sense.

I have also used the "wedge" technique with felt on a couple of guitars, when that suffices as a good solution. That has tended to be on guards that sit much lower, and are otherwise very stable.

Round sticky felt, primarily sold to be put on the end of chair legs, can come in very handy. If you search multiple hardware stores, you'll find them manufactured in a wide variety of sizes & thicknesses, and I've used them in many guitar related applications.

Currently, I have a very small black one attached to the bottom of the volume pot on my Guild A-150 Savoy, which is mounted on the pickguard & touches the spruce top (when resting my finger on the guard).

Easy solution to a potentially annoying rattle & damage problem.

Archived