Gibson Brands Forums

Lessons and Lessons Learned

I certainly don't offer myself up as an example of what a guitarist should be. But in almost 50 years of playing, twenty years of serious commitment, ten years (off and on) of lessons, there are a few pieces of advice I'd like to give. The main recommendation is that anyone who is committed to being a good guitarist should find a good teacher and take lessons. Taking from a teacher helps in two ways: You will learn faster and you will improve faster. Taking lessons requires the commitment of devoting time to practicing. A teacher knows if there is effort by the student, and if there is enthusiasm from the student, that also motivates the teacher. Taking lessons over learning on the internet helps to tie up loose ends and fill in the gaps. There are a LOT of great lessons on the internet, but none that I know of that address the evolution and progress of a student. They cover one topic and they're done. A good teacher will help a student progress and orient lessons toward a logical progression/evolution.

Understand the goal. The goal is to completely master the instrument, and that means being able to produce the notes that you want to play when and how you want to play them. That means knowing inherently where the notes are on the fretboard. There are lots of different ways to achieve that end- learning scales, learning intervals, playing intervals, learning arpeggios, learning chord structure, learning songs, etc. All comes from playing- practicing and paying attention; learning.

Another thing- when you learn something, really learn it. Spend time on it. Play it over and over so you can play it with your eyes closed. Learn it in different positions, in different keys, horizontally and vertically.

Learn to identify every note on the keyboard instantly.

Learn theory. I know a lot of people will tell you that knowing theory is useless; that lots of greats never knew theory. I got news for you. All the greats know theory, some of them just don't know they know it.

Learn songs. That's what it is all about, right? The most important thing about learning songs is that you are building a vocabulary. Listen to music, really listen. As you progress in your learning, your listening becomes more critical.

Play with others, preferably those who are better than you. If you can't play with others, get a looper and improvise over changes. Band in a Box is good for playing to. Avoid defaulting to playing the same riffs; play something new each time you improvise, but when you find a riff you like, memorize it and develop it- you'll need it later.

When you practice, practice with a purpose. But also, take time to noodle. Practice time is best done differently for each person, but my practice routine is divided into three parts: 1) Practicing scales. It is a great way to warm up. Practice different intervals within scales. Learn those intervals and what they sound like. Practice them in different string groups vertically and horizontally. Practice technique. Vary rhythms. 2) Theory. Understand modes and their application, the cycle of fourths and fifths and its application, chord structure and inversions. Learn to sight read notation and practice that. 3) Learn songs. Only after I have practiced these things, then I will noodle. I try to do all of these things in an hour or two. Play every day. I used to practice every night at 8PM. Now that I'm retired, I practice when I feel like it. Practice in different rooms. Practice with several guitars; they each feel a little different.

Play with a metronome whenever you can. Tap your foot or bob your head. Your body keeps better time than your brain.

When learning to improvise, sing the notes you play. It will help you to play more melodically, help your phrasing, and help you remember intervals on the fretboard.

Add dynamics- hammer-ons/pull-offs, slide into and out of notes, vary your volume for emotiveness and emphasis. Change up your rhythms. When you practice scales, swing the notes.

While I agree with many of your points theres one thing that I think you don't take in to account..

Not everyone has the capability to learn like that.. Ive never been tested but I think I am a bit dyslexic (which I just had to look up to spell properly [rolleyes] ) and for me learning through theory just doesn't work.. I cant make the notes stick in my head.. So I have to do it through playing by ear and repetition alone.. I mean I can obviously read tab but that's only so useful...

I think the BIGGEST learning experience for me was playing in a band when I was younger.. I probably learned more about music and playing through that than anything else I have done..

The second thing was actually to come on this forum.. I have learned huge amounts over the last few years getting hints and tips from you guys..

So that's what I say.. Not saying you are wrong.. But hardcore theory certainly isn't for everyone. I have learned some of the pentatonic patterns, that also helped me hugely but theres no way I will remember where all the notes on the board are.

And I think what people mean about not needing theory is for stuff like lead work... In fact what most people have to do is learn it all mechanically and then try and forget some of that and try to lead from the heart and get out of those boxes that we learn when studying scales and the like (or we all start to sound the same) and try to play melodically. That's the tricky part.

I guess as long as you enjoy what you are doing its all good :)

Not everyone has the capability to learn like that.. Ive never been tested but I think I am a bit dyslexic (which I just had to look up to spell properly [rolleyes] ) and for me learning through theory just doesn't work.. I cant make the notes stick in my head.. So I have to do it through playing by ear and repetition alone.. I mean I can obviously read tab but that's only so useful...

I guess as long as you enjoy what you are doing its all good :)

Ever try learning the "theory" of what you have learned to play, as opposed to learning theory and trying to play it?

I get what you are saying in that, it CAN get real deep and a guy can fill his head with tons of knowledge, or NOT fill his head with tons of knowledge.

But, how about a little?

Personally, I have at times had way more knowledge of "theory" than I could actually apply and play in real time. But when and where it has at times helps, is that my lack of being able to remember what and where to play something, a little theory in knowing what I can and can't play for a given tune or key or result makes up for the lack of knowledge I can keep in my head, the lack of memory.

Remember the goal, Rabs. It doesn't matter how you get there, but having a systematic approach will help you get there faster.

Remember also that our tone is often shaped by our limitations. I have come to accept that I'll never be a great guitar player, but that was never my reason for playing. My reasons are many, among them is that I love to play guitar. That's all you need. I have also worked very hard to reach my potential, as limited as it might be.

Time in the woodshed.

Ever try learning the "theory" of what you have learned to play, as opposed to learning theory and trying to play it?

I get what you are saying in that, it CAN get real deep and a guy can fill his head with tons of knowledge, or NOT fill his head with tons of knowledge.

But, how about a little?

Personally, I have at times had way more knowledge of "theory" than I could actually apply and play in real time. But when and where it has at times helps, is that my lack of being able to remember what and where to play something, a little theory in knowing what I can and can't play for a given tune or key or result makes up for the lack of knowledge I can keep in my head, the lack of memory.

No totally.. Im not against theory at all.. and in fact am a bit jelous of people who can learn that way.. like many years ago in my first ever band (a non serious one) the other guitarist was bloody awful, he had not sense of rhythm what so ever BUT he could work out notes on the fretboard mathematically :o which still to this day I cant do.. :)

And as I say, knowing pentatonic patterns helps. What that enables me to do is know how to at least play in key :) Once I worked out that say, if you want to play in G you start on the third fret on the Bottom E and that's where the pattern starts, if you want to play in A you move up two frets.. That's how I see it...

So certainly even if like me you cant totally learn like that, some of that theory definitely helps [thumbup]

Remember the goal, Rabs. It doesn't matter how you get there, but having a systematic approach will help you get there faster.

Remember also that our tone is often shaped by our limitations. I have come to accept that I'll never be a great guitar player, but that was never my reason for playing. My reasons are many, among them is that I love to play guitar. That's all you need. I have also worked very hard to reach my potential, as limited as it might be.

Time in the woodshed.

Yup again.. totally..

I play to have fun.. if I do learn someone else's song its very rarely the whole song.. lol I tend to learn just the bits I really like.. So the main riff and the basic chord pattern.. And as long as I can roughly simulate what is meant to be heard as a recognisable tune then that's good enough for me.. But I know other players who HAVE to learn the whole thing note for note or they arnt happy.. And needless to say that when I jam with them they get upset that im not playing the exact note that's on the record.. to which my normal response is just shut up and play :)

Archived