Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt DR-500MCE Pickguard

dodsonart

I absolutely love the Masterbilt's. Tonally, my DR-500MCE can hold its own with the much more expensive acoustic guitars. Nice, warm, well balanced-tone that sounds great plugged

or un-plugged. What I do not like is the pick-guard so I changed mine to the more traditional type tortoise shell. What are your opinions of the stock pick-guard's on these?

post-69933-022819200 1421767049_thumb.jpg

What I do not like is the pick-guard so I changed mine to the more traditional type tortoise shell. What are your opinions of the stock pick-guard's on these?

I only have older, pre-2011 non-cutaway Masterbilts. Yeah, they all have the traditional tortoise shell pickguards, which look great.

Here's my 2003 EF-500PNS....

pns116.jpg

I only have older, pre-2011 non-cutaway Masterbilts. Yeah, they all have the traditional tortoise shell pickguards, which look great.

Here's my 2003 EF-500PNS....

pns116.jpg

Beautiful guitar! Does yours have the V-neck? If so, was it an easy adjustment for you?

Also, I think it is amazing that these new Masterbilt's are plek'd!

I absolutely love the Masterbilt's. Tonally, my DR-500MCE can hold its own with the much more expensive acoustic guitars. Nice, warm, well balanced-tone that sounds great plugged

or un-plugged. What I do not like is the pick-guard so I changed mine to the more traditional type tortoise shell. What are your opinions of the stock pick-guard's on these?

I thought about swapping mine. I've done a little over a dozen swaps so far. Last one was a tiger stripe L-00 style. I've learned a few things along the way, having swapped some more than once. The big thing is realizing that the best location for protecting the guitar doesn't equate to the most aesthetically pleasing. With small teardrop pick guards, I tended to rotate them too far counter clockwise, in an effort to give the most pick protection to the top, not realizing the PG's were geared towards finger style playing for the most part. If you look at factory applied guards in this style and size, you might notice the tend to cover the area just below the B & E strings. In most dreadnaught style pick guards, thetop portion closest to the bridge is always parallel to the strings, anything else will look off to me, as I found out the hard (costly) way.

This was the post that got me to register here after many months of lurking.

I have the DR 500 MCE as well. Mine's in natural. The first thing I did after checking the build quality and electronics was to take my wife's hair dryer and remove the cheap plastic stick-on pick guard altogether. As I almost never use a pick I simply didn't need one, and the guitar without it in all its beauty is absolutely stunning.

I probably voided the warranty, but I have a truly gorgeous looking, playing and sounding guitar.

The first thing I did after checking the build quality and electronics was to take my wife's hair dryer and remove the cheap plastic stick-on pick guard altogether.... the guitar without it in all its beauty is absolutely stunning.

So apparently if you do this soon enough, the finish under the guard is not discolored or otherwise "compromised." Good deal. Now, where's a photo of this stunning beauty? [wink]

So apparently if you do this soon enough, the finish under the guard is not discolored or otherwise "compromised." Good deal. Now, where's a photo of this stunning beauty? [wink]

I did the same with mine (hair dryer) and amazingly the adhesive stays on the pickguard and there is no residue left on the guitar.

I did the same with mine (hair dryer) and amazingly the adhesive stays on the pickguard and there is no residue left on the guitar.

There was a teeny bit of sticky goo left over on mine but a quick rub with a soft cloth and a mere shpritz of Old English furniture polish took care of it.

I did the same with my two EJ200s as well. The super cheapo pick guards was the only flaw on any of them. The contemporary Indonesian made Epi acoustics are a marvel of construction, playability, and tone.

Archived