Gibson Brands Forums

g-force v min-etune

sunshinewelly

Now i am going to get a gibson with one of these systems as i do like technology and the alternate tunings sound brilliant. I have a couple of questions though.

Is the min-etune and gforce identical as far as hardware is concerned. I note that the gforce system allows you to store more user settings (not an issue for me) but the gforce does have a capo setting (which would be important to me). I ask this question as the device is made by tronical but they do not have 2 systems - only the one unit. Therefore did gibson just change the software on the gforce or is it new and improved hardware. I note from some comments that the firmware on the tronical system is able to be updated.

Also for those who own a non brass nut model - does the min-etune work ok with a standard nut. I am tempted by a 2014 signature les paul but wonder whether a 2015 les paul classic will work better (as far as tuning goes etc)

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic with the g force and brass zero fret nut. It does work better with the zero nut. It's software is updated from the mini etune. There are mor options with the g force. I do not believe you can update the firm ware on the gibson g force. here is the full PDF users maunal from my gibson G Force tuning system. http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Site-Images/Campaign/GFORCE/Documents/G%20FORCE%20Owner%27s%20Manual_2.32_1.03.pdf By the way! The 2015 necks and fretboaurds are a lot wider. so if you don't like super wide necks stick with a 2014OR OLDER..

did you have the chance of comparing the system to the older version. I am not concerned with losing some user presets. however if the tuner sticks etc with the non brass nut then i will go with the brass nut 2015 model.

I'm only going with the negatve feed back on forums about it sticking with the non brass nut. I've never tried the older ones myself. I do have an issue with my brass nut. I'm waiting on a replacement for my 2015. I've only had it for about 2 months. It was leaving metal shavings on my fret board and there are now grooves cut into the flat peice just in front where the fret board begins. The dust and grooves were caused by the strings when they are moved by the tuner and from vibrating when being played. The replacement is suppose to be coated in a differant material to take care of this issue. I haven't recieved the new nut yet and I will post results of it when I replace it. Just be aware that they are not putting the new nuts on the guitars yet. So if you get a 2015 model be prepaired to change it out. Hope this helps.. There aren't many people with a 2015 model on here yet so if I can help with any other info I will defanitly try.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the hardware is the same. The software allows for more user presets. I'm not sure what other improvements the G Force software has over the Min-eTune

I have the tuners from Tronical on both of my guitars. One of the differences I see when demoing a 2015 model is the speed at which tuning is accomplished. It is almost instantaneous on a 2015.

Archived