Gibson Brands Forums

'75 SG

peterkolta

Hello!

In U.S. very much likely.

In Europe prices are insane. I've found one on the web in same condition with repair, it on sale for 1400 USD.

I also know one locally, not cheaper either.

Cheers... Bence

The price is wayyyy too high for that SG. Locally , pristine standards of the same era go fo $1300 to $1600.... Here's a special that is played well but never repaired.....Asking price is $1000 and keep in mind that's asking....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/brockville/1977-gibson-sg-all-original-players-guitar/1043255757?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I wouldn't pay anymore than $700 for it and I'd have to really love it for that....

Well, OK.

Please consider this:

Let's say You buy an SG for $700 in the U.S.A.

You ship it to Europe (let's say to Hungary).

Shipping is around $150 to $200.

On arrival, the Customs Office charges You with 3% of import tax - which also applies to shipping!

We are at $875. At this point the Custom Office charges You with another 27% - VAT.

So the guitar You bought in the U.S.A. for $700, costs You $1111 on arrival, in optimal case. (There might be additional duties for storing at the customs depo, etc.)

I thought, it would be wise to clear up this misunderstanding about the subject of U.S. vs. European prices.

Cheers... Bence

Well, OK.

Please consider this:

Let's say You buy an SG for $700 in the U.S.A.

You ship it to Europe (let's say to Hungary).

Shipping is around $150 to $200.

On arrival, the Customs Office charges You with 3% of import tax - which also applies to shipping!

We are at $875. At this point the Custom Office charges You with another 27% - VAT.

So the guitar You bought in the U.S.A. for $700, costs You $1111 on arrival, in optimal case. (There might be additional duties for storing at the customs depo, etc.)

I thought, it would be wise to clear up this misunderstanding about the subject of U.S. vs. European prices.

Cheers... Bence

Well then, I guess that's a great price for a broken old SG!!!!!

Well then, I guess that's a great price for a broken old SG!!!!!

Hello!

Good or not, You get what You find, here. If You are desperate about a vintage SG, that`s what You get it for.

Or, You can go the previously described route, buying a guitar unseen...

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Good or not, You get what You find, here. If You are desperate about a vintage SG, that`s what You get it for.

Or, You can go the previously described route, buying a guitar unseen...

Cheers... Bence

Well then some reality is needed. In 1975 it was a run of the mill SG, not spectacularly valuable, probably no better a player than any other 1975 Gibson, on average. Then it got broke somewhere along the way, which rendered it pretty much not worth buying, especially since it's such a mystery.

Today they make guitars much better. They have for quite a long time now. The 1300 put into that guitar would go a much longer way saved for a new(er)(ish) guitar.

Vintage guitars are just old, and nothing else.

rct

Well then some reality is needed. ...

Today they make guitars much better. They have for quite a long time now. The 1300 put into that guitar would go a much longer way saved for a new(er)(ish) guitar.

Vintage guitars are just old, and nothing else.

rct

Yes, RCT!

I would rather spend my money on something else too. But that`s not what Peter was asking...

Cheers... Bence

If you really want this guitar you should definitely talk this guy down regardless if the price is USA dollars, Euro, or whatever. It's just too much for a guitar with a repaired headstock. Also, you need to look carefully at the repair, or have a luthier examine it, to see if it was done properly and will last. A properly repaired headstock will play and sound just fine and the repair will last, but it does reduce the value of the guitar.

Archived