Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone for a quickie?

Marshall Paul

Just a quick one fellas. I know this may sound dumb comming from someone who's been playing for over 45 years but....

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Nashville bridge and the ABR-1 Tune-o-matic bridge? Are the stop bar's different too?

Got me scratching the nut.

The Nashville is wider (front to back), providing more room to move the saddles for intonation. Also, the Nashville saddle screws sit below the top edge of the bridge, while the ABR-1 saddle screws are right at the top edge which for some who like a low stop is a problem, so they flip the bridge so the screws face the neck. Originally the ABR-1 has a spring to hold the saddle screws in (look closely below) which hook into the side of the bridge and go over the screws - the Nashville never used springs. You can use whatever stop you like.

ABR-1 on left, Nashville on right -

faber_vs_stock1.jpg

ABR-1

ABR-1_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.jpg

Nashville

Nashville_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.jpg

If I got this correct, the ABR-1 didn't get the spring until around '61 or '62? Or was it '64?

Anyway, the first ones for some years did not have the spring, or retaining wire (the more correct term?).

The Nashville bridge, when did that come along? I can't remember. I want to say '72. But I am drawing a blank on that.

So...point is, the ABR-1 is more of a "vintage" style bridge, and the Nashville is a slightly improved bridge from that.

And of corse, one of the most important differences between them, is the way they fasten to the guitar. The ABR post screw directly into the wood, while the Nashville uses bushings pressed into the guitar, and the post go into them.

Shows you how much attention I've been paying over all this time eh! (lol).

I also noted from the photo's that the intonation screw on the ABR-1 is dead centre, where as the Nashville's screw is slight off centre. Anyone know why this is?

Shows you how much attention I've been paying over all this time eh! (lol).

I also noted from the photo's that the intonation screw on the ABR-1 is dead centre, where as the Nashville's screw is slight off centre. Anyone know why this is?

The screws are all centered, that pic is at an angle.

Archived