Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Problem

Greg1967

I have a 2013 Gibson Les Paul LPJ. I am having tuning issues with the low E string. If I am playing an E chord, the open E string sounds like it fluctuates. As though I am ever so gently pressing on the string past the nut near the tuner. It doesn't do this if I have the string fretted. So, if I am playing, for example, a G chord it is in tune (basically if the E string is fretted it is okay) So possibly the nut slot is too wide? I am playing 9’s on it. Was playing 10’s. The vibration was the same with both gauge strings.

So another way to describe it is if I am playing a power chord with an open E and the A and D fretted on the 2nd fret it sounds out of tune. But if I go down two frets and have the E fretted and the A and the D down two frets (Ab5) then it sounds fine.

Possibly something as simple as adjusting the saddle? I don't have either of the pickups up so high where they would cause issue with the sting. And if that were the case then fretting the string wouldn't make a difference I am guessing.

I’m taking it to a Luthier tomorrow. But I thought I would drop a question out here to get some input.

Thanks

Sounds like it MIGHT be an intonation thing, needing a saddle adjustment on the bridge.

Or, possibly the string isn't stretched, or wrapped 'round the tuning peg properly?

The Nut, or even the machine head, could be the culprit, as well? Hard to say, for sure,

without seeing, or hearing it.

But, I'm sure your Luthier will figure it out, in short order. Wise move!! [thumbup]

CB

Check the Harmonic at the 12th fret. If it is a steady pitch flat or sharp, you might correct it with a saddle adjustment.

If it's the same as when played open, consult a good tech. Preferably, one who has a strobe tuner.

Make sure you don't have it wound too low on the tuning peg, also.

Guest Farnsbarns

Given that it doesn't happen when fretted you can almost certainly eliminate the saddle, the problem is at the nut or tuning peg. The nut being the most likely culprit. Slot cut too wide or too flat would be my guess. You're going to need a good guitar tech.

if it isn't anything already mentioned, can you rule out your playing technique? are you sure its the e that is going out of whack and not the a&d when you chord? i say this because i've pretty much always been a very heavy handed/high-pressure player. when i first started playing it i noticed i was pushing down too hard and my notes were actually going sharp and i would pick so hard on the e that it would sound a bit out o tune. i had to learn to literally lighten up on guitars.

if it isn't anything already mentioned, can you rule out your playing technique? are you sure its the e that is going out of whack and not the a&d when you chord? i say this because i've pretty much always been a very heavy handed/high-pressure player. when i first started playing it i noticed i was pushing down too hard and my notes were actually going sharp and i would pick so hard on the e that it would sound a bit out o tune. i had to learn to literally lighten up on guitars.

Yeah. I tend to play heavy. But in this case there were some mechanical issues that were fixed.

Thanks for the input.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yeah. I tend to play heavy. But in this case there were some mechanical issues that were fixed.

Thanks for the input.

What were they?

Archived