Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Satin Finish Aging

ShaymanUnleased

I think, the satin is a little thinner than nitrocellulose. A different type of 'feel'.

My old GoldTop is starting to age a bit now. They tend to go a bit of a greenish colour. It's like the gold finish is starting to oxidise almost.

The satin finish is thinner and more delicate than a polished gloss finish although both are nitrocellulose, so basically the same material. As it gets older and more used the parts that come into contact with your hands, arm, etc will become shinier from all of the rubbing motions you make when you play and eventually if you really play it you may even wear through the clearcoat.

As far as color or anything else, usually the color gets a bit darker as the years pass, but Gibson has only been using satin finishes for 15 years or so - so that's about all of the aging process I have personally witnessed.

Every now and then, I give my babies a good going over with Mr. Sheen and a clean rag. I think the equivilant over there is Pledge? Anyway, it's just a wax based furniture polish. Brings them up like new again.And the fret boards I do lightly with lynseed oil. Put on, wait about an hour, and then buff up.

Every now and then, I give my babies a good going over with Mr. Sheen and a clean rag. I think the equivilant over there is Pledge? Anyway, it's just a wax based furniture polish. Brings them up like new again.And the fret boards I do lightly with lynseed oil. Put on, wait about an hour, and then buff up.

Paul,

I wouldn't use those products on your guitars if I was you, they contain Silicone, very bad stuff, I won't even use it on my furniture.

Ian

Less expensive guitars with a polyurethane finish are easy to clean because the finish is so tough.

Did the politicaly correct thing and let a youngster with special needs handle my guitar.

Didn't think about the amount of food on her shirt and sticky hands. What a mess.

Used "Windex" on the polyurethane then polished it with a clean dry cotton cloth.

Problem solved.

Wouldn't use Windex on Nitrocelluous. Don't know what the ammonia would do to the finish, but it won't be good.

Wipe it down with a clean guitar polishing cloth and if there is any residue you can't remove just give it a touch of polish.

any sort of regular pump guitar polish made with petroleum distillates should get the job done. Those are the little bottles that are pump sprays made by Gibson, fender, martin, dunlop, etc that usually retail for 4-8 bucks at your local guitar shop.

Just make sure there aren't any abrasives in it (most ones with abrasives are labelled "cleaner" instead of polish).

Archived