Gibson Brands Forums

LP Junior awesome and weiiird

GossV5i

I recently picked up a Les Paul Junior at my local shop. The single pickup, stripped down aspect of it was appealing to me and I wound up paying a whopping 20 bucks out of pocket after a gift card was applied. To my great surprise, I have been playing it 300% more than my myriad of 'expensive' guitars. It has a weird mojo, it is a very agreeable cheap plank of whatever random hunk of tonewood it is made out of. I plopped in a SD humbucker I had in my parts box and swapped out the cheap (although not awful) tuning heads for some Kluson style cream knob deluxe tuners...and I wound up with something really really cool.

The sales guy seemed almost embarrassed for me when I bought it and my gear nerd buddies scoffed at me when I brought it for a jam.

But here is the deal, I LOVE it. The neck is fast and feels great, a few simple upgrades elevated it both in sound and looks. The wraparound bridge sans compensated saddle does not seem to suffer too much from bad intonation.

I am so glad I picked it up. It is my first 'beginner guitar', bought after almost 20 years of playing. It is my first Epiphone, and I can say that I am impressed...I will purchase another Epi. It has a very unique, almost weird tone that I don't get from anything else in my collection. I call it an enigma.

So my point is: don't be embarrassed to buy something cheap because of stigma. If it feels right in your hands, you might wind up with a gem, especially if it is an Epiphone.

Sincerely,

Former Snob.

the guy I've been playing in bands with since 1978, hasn't paid more than $300 for a guitar since I've known him. Do I feel a difference when I play one of his, verses one of my Les Pauls SGs or Strats? yep I do! does he notice? he says he absolutely does.

but these 300 dollar Korean knock offs he buys, tweaks the setups on, maybe upgrades the pickups if needed, WORK for him. They just work for the guy. if it aint broke, we don't fix it.

I've got a Epiphone Les Paul Junior P-90 that I found on Craig's List for $140. It is by far my favourite guitar out of my herd which includes Gibson, Fender, PRS, etc. It has a laminated body and a bolt on neck. Despite this it is a tone monster and plays like butter. It is one of the very few guitars I've played where the tone and volume control sound good on the full range of their movement. This allows you to get several different sounds even with just the one pickup. To top it off it is very light. I have played for a two hour set with no break and no sore back. Awesome guitar.

DC Junior P90 and DC Special P90 are right up at the top of my GAS list.

To me they are to Gibson (and hence Epiphone) what the Broadcaster/Telecaster is to Fender - basically a plank, a piece of 4 x 2 and some strings with a pickup or two.

Just as I think every guitarist should own a Tele (actually I think EVERYBODY should own a Tele) cos if you can't do it with a Tele you simply can't do it. The same principle applies to Juniors/Specials.

• 2 weeks later...

msp_smile.gif

the gear snobs can scoff all they want. I've said it before, probably will again, several, if not more times. If you can't play "it" on an Epiphone, well, you won't be able to play "it" on something else. "They" can look down their nose all "they" want...I don't mind. I hope Epiphone continues to develop their line of "value added" instruments. To me, nothing else is necessary. If you can't play it on an Epiphone, you might as well hang it up and take up crochet or something.msp_mellow.gifmsp_sleep.gifrolleyes.gif

msp_smile.gif

the gear snobs can scoff all they wan. I've said it before, probably will again, several, if not more times. If you can't play "it" on an Epiphone, well, you won't be able to play "it" on something else. "They" can look down their nose all "they" want...I don't mind. I hope Epiphone continues to develop their line of "value added" instruments. To me, nothing else is necessary. If you can't play it on an Epiphone, you might as well hang it up and take up crochet or something.msp_mellow.gifmsp_sleep.gifrolleyes.gif

I agree entirely with you, Crust! Whenever I get a case of GAS, I actively seek out an Epiphone that will always satisfy that "need" to get a new guitar! My collection is about 75% Epiphone, with the occasional Gibson and Fender. I play the Epi's much more than any of the others. I do not think of Epiphone as a secondary brand to Gibson, after all, Gibson acquired Epiphone to get rid of their major competition. My opinion and experience. YMMV.

Play Well

Pete

Archived