Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Please 2001 LP Special

Silvercrow

I have a chance to buy a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Special. It is finished in natural- gloss finish- pretty sure it is not a buffed out worn or faded finish. Has some scratches, minor dings. Plays and sounds good. It has humbuckers and a "tummy" cut- similar to a Fender Strat but not as deep/ long. Small shop owner says he does not know if it's an "SL"

Frets are in good shape- no problems with them of the fretboard. Oh- it's got dot markers instead of the trapezoid.

He's asking $600.00 for it. I like it and am ready to pull the trigger- but can anyone "school" me on this model? Anything I should know before taking the dive? What does SL stand for? Were there particular problems with this model.

Thanks for any and all information. I know from past experience that some folks who do not like a particular model or feel it's a "low grade" model will bash it even though nothing is wrong with it mechanically or playability wise. I can't afford a standard or Classic. I have a great Les Paul Studio faded. So thanks for any factual information. I'm NEW to Gibsons and Les Pauls and don't want to get stuck. On the other hand- if it's a solid guitar...the price is right and the opportunity is there.

Thanks folks!

Brian

The "SL" stood for "sans-lacquer", another way of saying it was a poly finish, as opposed to nitro used on Gibby's and older guitars.

Poly, while being a stronger finish, is generally not desirable compared to nitro. It doesn't mean it is a less good guitar, or not good, but as for dollar value or resale, that's a consideration. So it might matter there.

Can't really help you, though. 600, if it is top dollar, isn't much. It's not like you are paying 600 bucks for a 200 dollar guitar. Maybe it's worth 400, 500, or 800. I actually don't know, but the point is, who cares? It's 600 bucks.

As for the guitar itself, there are a lot of humbucker Specials out there in various forms, finishes, and types. They are all good for what they do. It's all really a matter of personal preference. For the sheer availability on the used market and the low cost of getting any of them, there really isn't much reason to look beyond what you like or don't like, in my opinion.

I dunno, if it comes with the case perhaps $600 is reasonable. I think you can get a better guitar for that money.

Yeah- it does come with a hard case- dunno if it's the original but a Gibson case nonetheless.

So- again I am new to the world of Gibson, if you were to spend $600.00 on a used Gibson, what model would you choose? What would you consider better? I know there are some good deals out there on used SG's but there's just something about them I don't particularly care for. (Here again- I felt the same way about Les Pauls until about a month ago [laugh] )

I'm open to suggestions- haven't plunked the money down yet. I'd like something with humbuckers or I alos like P90s- would also like something with a gloss finish, and I really like the 50s neck profile. Never had a guitar with coil taps and probably wouldn't know what to do with them as I play mostly blues, southern rock and styles similar to Gov't Mule, Mark Selby...

Feel free to suggest away. My budget would be $700.00 tops at this point.

Brian

The "SL" stood for "sans-lacquer", another way of saying it was a poly finish, as opposed to nitro used on Gibby's and older guitars.

Poly, while being a stronger finish, is generally not desirable compared to nitro. It doesn't mean it is a less good guitar, or not good, but as for dollar value or resale, that's a consideration. So it might matter there.

Can't really help you, though. 600, if it is top dollar, isn't much. It's not like you are paying 600 bucks for a 200 dollar guitar. Maybe it's worth 400, 500, or 800. I actually don't know, but the point is, who cares? It's 600 bucks.

As for the guitar itself, there are a lot of humbucker Specials out there in various forms, finishes, and types. They are all good for what they do. It's all really a matter of personal preference. For the sheer availability on the used market and the low cost of getting any of them, there really isn't much reason to look beyond what you like or don't like, in my opinion.

Thanks for that info and perspective! While I definitely prefer nitro finishes, I am not adverse to poly. G&L, in my opinion, has a poly process that lets the resonance / chime come through and is tough as nails. I've only had their American made guitars; have no idea what the Tribute series is like although they look really nice and seem a good "bang for the buck" guitar.

Brian

Yeah- it does come with a hard case- dunno if it's the original but a Gibson case nonetheless.

So- again I am new to the world of Gibson, if you were to spend $600.00 on a used Gibson, what model would you choose? What would you consider better? I know there are some good deals out there on used SG's but there's just something about them I don't particularly care for. (Here again- I felt the same way about Les Pauls until about a month ago [laugh] )

I'm open to suggestions- haven't plunked the money down yet. I'd like something with humbuckers or I alos like P90s- would also like something with a gloss finish, and I really like the 50s neck profile. Never had a guitar with coil taps and probably wouldn't know what to do with them as I play mostly blues, southern rock and styles similar to Gov't Mule, Mark Selby...

Feel free to suggest away. My budget would be $700.00 tops at this point.

Brian

Find a Crack Addict who would sell his mother for $40. Offer him $100 for his deluxe LP custom with the gold plated tuners, Bridge and pickups. You got a deal.

Archived