Gibson Brands Forums

J45 DE_LUXE

Johnt

Have had this guitar for around 20 years and have just got curious.

Its a square shoulder sunburst J45 serial number 71309004 which (I think) tracks it to 13/01/1979 in Kalamazoo??

Behind the headstock it has a small dent about 1/2" across. and it also has a "cheap looking" papaer label bearing just the model number in the soundhole.

Is it some sort of production reject or (I wish) some lost treasure?

Guitars in my will to my son so not going anywhere but it would be interesting to find out a little more.

Thanks

John

Johnt,

Back in 1975, I purchased a used J45 Deluxe, #682740, ( stamped on the back of the headstock,over a made in the U.S.A. stamp ), and have been playing it since. I think the Deluxe word was added to all square sholder or non-sloped J45s of this era, which is known as the Norlin era.

This was considered a down era for Gibson, and these guitars have never held a high price point.

This was the time when Gibson used very thin tops, ( look for dips ), and a non-scalloped , double X braceing pattern, and the bridge plate is wedged into one of the Xs. This caused them to take forever to break-in, ( not a problem now). Also the placement of the bridge plate stifles the movement of the top. They were not as loud as the older J45s, or todays Boseman models.

This being said, they are now a very good buy, and offer a warm sweet tone. I really like the feel of the necks. Mine is still constantly played. I feel mine, (because of its design ), does require string changes more often to maintain max. volume. I use light gauge p/bs.

The inside label should be a orange and white Gibson label, stateing J45 Deluxe, the warrenty and saying made in Kalamozoo.

I don,t know if these will ever be a collectors item, but don,t despair they are a fine players guitar. Mine will never leave my stable.

J45dale.

Thank you for info.

Yes the label is as you describe and you are correct about the "players guitar"

I have always enjoyed this and despite, occaisionally, being VERY tempted to trade it and my ES335 in against as J200. The J45 still sits here.

It's good to know a little more about it

Appreciate your help

BR

John

Thank you for info.

Yes the label is as you describe and you are correct about the "players guitar"

I have always enjoyed this and despite, occaisionally, being VERY tepted to trade it and my ES335 in against as J200. The J45 still sits here.

It's good to know a little more about it

Appreciate your help

BR

John

John... If I interpret it correctly' date=' your serial #71309004 would have been produced on the 130th day of 1979, and was the 4th guitar of that model produced on that day.

Which translates to the 4th J45 produced on May 10, 1979.

[/quote']

Yes I belive you are right.

I wish I could claim dyslexia but wqill have to put my error down to senility![-o<

THnaks for your input

BR

John

Archived