Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard

vein777

Ok, I really love the look and sound of a Gibson Les Paul Standard. But it seems that dealers are not too optimistic to sell me one. There is a very large online retailer that I don't want to name that tried to talk me out of buying one. My local guitarcenter was eager to sell me one. However, after hearing some of the reasons why I shouldn't buy one, I'm a bit dismayed.

The reasons I heard from the sales perons at the large online retailer was that they are very pricey and that the screws adjusting the nut come loose often. I was also told they go out of tune so often that is why they include the Gforce. Actually I like that feature because I hate tuning my guitar. I wish all guitars had one. I got some money back from early distribution of my pension but not sure what guitar to get now. I own 1 Fender USA Strat (my first guitar) but have since bought a bunch of guitars that are closer to a Gibson style guitar than my Fender and therefore thought it would be nice to go for a Les Paul Standard as I seem to prefer the Gibson style guitars I have more. Now, I'm a bit concerned for the price of a 2015 Les Paul as to whether I want to make that plunge.

I have also heard from another retailer that the price on the current models are too high and that my value in one my drop hard because they are a bit "artificially" inflated.

Confused with money burning a whole in my pocket.

There are some amazing deals out there on used Gibson Les Pauls! Check out some Classics also... can't go wrong with a used guitar that has been well cared for.

https://reverb.com/item/365836-gibson-les-paul-1960-classic

https://reverb.com/item/337903-gibson-les-paul-classic-sunburst-2002

https://reverb.com/item/391062-gibson-les-paul-classic-2014-vintage-burst-free-shipping

Happy hunting! msp_thumbup.gif

I've bought a few guitars from reverb no problems thus far. A lot of old guitars there kinda neat to scroll thru.

If I understand right it makes a big difference what finish you get on your guitar. So unless you see it the grain and get a good idea of the price, you can get an inferior guitar for the price. I mean the reality to me is that the pickups on the guitar are retail around $300 bucks so that is a big gap between the cost of the guitar and the pickups. So that finish better be spot on since that seems to be what the majority of the cost of the guitar is.

The finish is not that big a consideration when you take into account more pressing issues. Such as, is the neck straight with no twists, is there plenty of meat left on the frets, are there no cracks at the base of the neck or up at the headstock, no cracks aft of the bridge, is the binding still tight, does all the electrics still work, is the hardware in good nick, has the previous owner not dug dirty great WW1 trenches up and down the neck with his wedding ring, no cracks in the fretboard, the tuners haven't come loose, and so forth. More important than is there the usual hazing, crazing and buckle rash in the finish.

It could be the ugliest piece of magic, or the most beautiful piece of junk. All comes down to asking the right questions.

The finish is not that big a consideration when you take into account more pressing issues. Such as, is the neck straight with no twists, is there plenty of meat left on the frets, are there no cracks at the base of the neck or up at the headstock, no cracks aft of the bridge, is the binding still tight, does all the electrics still work, is the hardware in good nick, has the previous owner not dug dirty great WW1 trenches up and down the neck with his wedding ring, no cracks in the fretboard, the tuners haven't come loose, and so forth. More important than is there the usual hazing, crazing and buckle rash in the finish.

It could be the ugliest piece of magic, or the most beautiful piece of junk. All comes down to asking the right questions.

Yeah, those are important but I was talking more along the lines of a brand new LPS. Those things are should be already legite in that case.

I have decided against buying a new LPS. My only reason is cost. I have the money (enough to buy several right now) I got an early pension distribution. But I'm dismayed at other retailers talking me out of it and the cost of the guitar.

I don't understand. How can they be talking you out of it? Your the customer with the cash in hand. You should be saying "I'd like a LP Standard please", and they should be saying "certainly sir, what colour would you like that?". And as far as cost goes, a standard is going to cost the price of a standard, not much can be done about that except shop around for the best deal. If in the end you get what you really want, then it was worth all the trouble to find it then.

I don't understand. How can they be talking you out of it? Your the customer with the cash in hand. You should be saying "I'd like a LP Standard please", and they should be saying "certainly sir, what colour would you like that?". And as far as cost goes, a standard is going to cost the price of a standard, not much can be done about that except shop around for the best deal. If in the end you get what you really want, then it was worth all the trouble to find it then.

Well, I'm concerned about stuff like them telling me that the zero fret nut comes loose often and stuff. I just don't want to deal with that. I don't know anyone that owns one to get other feedback and can't trust some of these people. Plus when I hear they may go down in value then I don't want to be stuck paying so much for one.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to have one and it really it just a value/cost issue more than anything.

There's plenty of 2014 models available, if you don't want a 2015.

I was really drawn to the 2015 models because of the new features like the zero fret nut, the wider neck with the contoured profile and the Gforce tuning. There is some interesting new features that I like. It is really just a cost issue for me.

I was really drawn to the 2015 models because of the new features like the zero fret nut, the wider neck with the contoured profile and the Gforce tuning. There is some interesting new features that I like. It is really just a cost issue for me.

Alright, I keep coming back to an LPS. I would be kicking myself if I didn't at least own one in my life.

Sounds good to me, and you like the features. All you need to do is look for the finish, top figuring, etc. I wouldn't worry about the nut coming loose, I can't imagine that happened on too many Standards for some reason and it sounds like an easy fix. I don't know how the price will change. I'm sure there will be sales.

It's like BluesPlayer says, there's plenty of 2014's out there still. I think your right, you'd be kicking yourself if you didn't own at least one in your guitar playing life. And I think the issues that have you concerned are just everyday issues that you'd get with any brand of guitar. For my money, I'd go with the LP.

I got my new Les Paul yesterday. It is a 2015 Les Paul Standard in Honeyburst. It is sweet.

Here are my initial views of this guitar.

1.) Too pricey.

2.) I love GFORCE - Invest in robotic tuner makers because others will have to compete.

3.) The new supreme grip knobs are nice feature but really only become useful if you tend to have sweaty hands.

4.) The removal pick guard. They should have done this long ago. Again, I think most other vendors will also copy this functionality.

5.) I like the input jack is firm. I hate anything that jiggles. Speaking of that I hope something they improve the toggle switch. We need something better that doesn't wear out.

What is clear is that Gibson knows that people love options. So I love the sound, I do like the fretboard. It grows on me. Takes some getting use to for sure.

Here is my advice to Gibson. Keep the innovation coming. Here are some suggestions. Make a lithium battery insert into the guitar as a function of the guitar. You know your not going to get rid of GFORCE. So why limit the battery to just the GFORCE. Then we can use the battery for other functions of the guitar like a new pickup switch that can just sense your finger selection and illuminate an LED that tells you which pickup your on. Much like how we use our touch to turn on faucets and or wake up a phone. (A touch sensor) as I'm not sure what else to call it. We could also put led's in the top of the fretboard for the side fret indicators - great in low light conditions after you had a few beers.

I know traditionalists are going to hate some of these suggestions but I'm a techie and that is what is in my blood. After all it is an ELECTRIC guitar - let's not put a cap on the ELECTRIC part. I'm sure these things can be done in a classy manner. Also, with the touch sensor it can be made as another BLING feature of the guitar. Then with the battery as an overall part of the guitar, we can then incorporate some bluetooth or other communications technology and eventually use that to snyc up with an amp wirelessly. I'm just sayin....

Then with the battery as an overall part of the guitar, we can then incorporate some bluetooth or other communications technology and eventually use that to snyc up with an amp wirelessly. I'm just sayin....

BLASPHEMY!!!! Get the torches and ropes boys!!!

!!!LOL!!!

Naw,, just kidding,, really..

I guess what you say is true, that Technology Advancement will take more and more real estate in these instruments. probably inevitable.

One thing that comes to mind is the Fretlight guitars, whre there are LEDs on the fret board for learning scales, chords, etc. but there's other examples too.

I will admit, it's nothing I'm really all that interested in personally, but that's just me. I've got about 20 guitars currently,, some are of the mid to late 70s vintage, while others are no more than a year or two old.

I LOVE the idea that through the decades, the details intrinsic to the electric guitar itself, has mostly remained, unchanged since the inception some 60+ years ago. That's just me! I don't want a zero fret, robotic tuners, heck even coil taps on a les paul. just not appealing to me on face value. I haven't touched, tried or played any so, I guess that could change my heart.

I got my new Les Paul yesterday. It is a 2015 Les Paul Standard in Honeyburst. It is sweet.

Here are my initial views of this guitar.

1.) Too pricey.

2.) I love GFORCE - Invest in robotic tuner makers because others will have to compete.

3.) The new supreme grip knobs are nice feature but really only become useful if you tend to have sweaty hands.

4.) The removal pick guard. They should have done this long ago. Again, I think most other vendors will also copy this functionality.

5.) I like the input jack is firm. I hate anything that jiggles. Speaking of that I hope something they improve the toggle switch. We need something better that doesn't wear out.

What is clear is that Gibson knows that people love options. So I love the sound, I do like the fretboard. It grows on me. Takes some getting use to for sure.

Here is my advice to Gibson. Keep the innovation coming. Here are some suggestions. Make a lithium battery insert into the guitar as a function of the guitar. You know your not going to get rid of GFORCE. So why limit the battery to just the GFORCE. Then we can use the battery for other functions of the guitar like a new pickup switch that can just sense your finger selection and illuminate an LED that tells you which pickup your on. Much like how we use our touch to turn on faucets and or wake up a phone. (A touch sensor) as I'm not sure what else to call it. We could also put led's in the top of the fretboard for the side fret indicators - great in low light conditions after you had a few beers.

I know traditionalists are going to hate some of these suggestions but I'm a techie and that is what is in my blood. After all it is an ELECTRIC guitar - let's not put a cap on the ELECTRIC part. I'm sure these things can be done in a classy manner. Also, with the touch sensor it can be made as another BLING feature of the guitar. Then with the battery as an overall part of the guitar, we can then incorporate some bluetooth or other communications technology and eventually use that to snyc up with an amp wirelessly. I'm just sayin....

Put a small tablet screen on the back and that way we can eventually do our emails while playing too!

lol

I got my new Les Paul yesterday. It is a 2015 Les Paul Standard...

I know traditionalists are going to hate some of these suggestions but I'm a techie and that is what is in my blood....we can then incorporate some bluetooth or other communications technology and eventually use that to snyc up with an amp wirelessly. I'm just sayin....

I think you might be misunderstanding the point of view of the 'traditionalists', vein.

For those who, like you, wish to have all manner of intelligent electronics on-board Gibson have offered up a couple of models over the years.

Have you checked out these LPs?

http://www2.gibson.c...Generation.aspx

http://www2.gibson.c...e/Features.aspx

I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but what I find surprising is that Gibson doesn't just leave the 'Standard' alone. Why call it the 'Standard' if it's nothing of the sort?

I know that between '52 and '60 there was only one year when the specs of the 'Standard' (or 'Regular' as it was always known prior to 1960) didn't change but even so; I think most players traditionalists would like the guitar which was the 2013 Traditional to become offered to the public as the regular 'Les Paul Standard' as it is, in essence, the same as the highly regarded 1959 instruments - which is, after all, what (I suspect) most of us picture in our minds when the words 'Les Paul Standard' are mentioned.

Is it too late to return your LP? You have a very good chance of picking up either of the above and you might be far more content with all the options on offer.

Philip.

Congrats. glad you like the new LP. Can you post photos[do you have that technology?] I wouldn't get caught up in what most players like. Point is you like this and that sounds like a good thing for you. Its OK if you are a radical techie and support the fringe side of the Gibson leftist agenda. [scared]

So hows that baby looking and sounding? [biggrin]

I think you might be misunderstanding the point of view of the 'traditionalists', vein.

For those who, like you, wish to have all manner of intelligent electronics on-board Gibson have offered up a couple of models over the years.

Have you checked out these LPs?

http://www2.gibson.c...Generation.aspx

http://www2.gibson.c...e/Features.aspx

I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, but what I find surprising is that Gibson doesn't just leave the 'Standard' alone. Why call it the 'Standard' if it's nothing of the sort?

I know that between '52 and '60 there was only one year when the specs of the 'Standard' (or 'Regular' as it was always known prior to 1960) didn't change but even so; I think most players traditionalists would like the guitar which was the 2013 Traditional to become offered to the public as the regular 'Les Paul Standard' as it is, in essence, the same as the highly regarded 1959 instruments - which is, after all, what (I suspect) most of us picture in our minds when the words 'Les Paul Standard' are mentioned.

Is it too late to return your LP? You have a very good chance of picking up either of the above and you might be far more content with all the options on offer.

Philip.

Thanks Philip, I didn't even know that guitar existed.

Congrats. glad you like the new LP. Can you post photos[do you have that technology?] I wouldn't get caught up in what most players like. Point is you like this and that sounds like a good thing for you. Its OK if you are a radical techie and support the fringe side of the Gibson leftist agenda. [scared]

So hows that baby looking and sounding? [biggrin]

I don't have the pictures uploaded yet. They are on my camera. If I get some time later I'll upload them.

It looks awesome and sounds awesome.

First song on I played on it was Lonely Is The Night by Billy Squier. Don't ask me why but that song just came to me to play on it.

I don't have the pictures uploaded yet. They are on my camera. If I get some time later I'll upload them.

It looks awesome and sounds awesome.

First song on I played on it was Lonely Is The Night by Billy Squier. Don't ask me why but that song just came to me to play on it.

[thumbup] Sounds Good.

Thanks Philip, I didn't even know that guitar existed.

Hi again.

First off; I hope my previous post didn't come across in a negative way as that was certainly not my intent.

Reading through it once more - and after reading Golden's fine post - it does seem as though I might have seemed a bit tad off-hand and dismissive. Apologies duly offered if required.

Secondly; I'm truly delighted you are enjoying your LP as much as you are. Really.

I only posted the links to alert you, gently (hopefully), to the fact that, in case you had missed the releases, Gibson have been doing their bit to incorporate new technologies into their line-up over the last few years and it might be a great deal of fun for you to check out some of their previous offerings. I had a quick look and there are examples of both LP variants available in the USA at the moment. The Dark Fire is around $1,900 and the Dusk Tiger for just a shade more.

As well as this pair of LPs mentioned there is also the even more up-to-date Firebird-X.

But I, like the others, look forward to seeing the snaps of the new addition.

P.

Archived