Gibson Brands Forums

96 LP classic question

RolandJ

I was wondering what the difference is between the LP Classics that say "Classic" at the end of Les' signature on the headstock and the ones that say "Model" at the end of Les' signature? Mine is a 96 and has the "Classic" label. Also did any come from the factory with pointers under the V/T top hat knobs? Ya know for location reference? Thanks for your help.

Mine says Gibson (obviously), then 'Les Paul model', and then 'Classic' engraved on the truss rod cover. (?) 2012.

And it would seem, from my observations, that most Gibby models these days don't come with the nickel/chrome pointers. If you like them on (like I do) you have to buy them seperately and fit them yourself.

Yes.

As the OP's instrument was a '96 model it's a '1960 Classic' and my post was only concerning this model.

There have been, as you are all aware, different versions of the 'Classic' line offered in the last decade or so and they vary in p'head details from one to the next.

The bound p'head / crown inlay (as on Ian's instrument) was seen on some versions of the Classic Custom and Antique, for instance, as well as many of the GOTW offerings.

My understanding for the change from MODEL to CLASSIC was to further differentiate - and clearly - the 1960 Classic from the recently introduced 1960 R-I's proper.

As most of you already know the reasons I won't go into it all again...

Just for the record here's a snap showing that although some had Les Paul MODEL the actual typeface was different on the Classics as compared with the R-I's, being both wider and closer-spaced.

1993 R-I on left; 1991 '1960 Classic' on right;

Front.jpg

As far as the pointers are concerned; both my '91 and '95 1960 Classics have them fitted as standard spec.

P.

When I visited the Gibson Memphis factory and showroom last year, I did find it suppressing that the guitar that they had plugged into an amp and ready to go was a well used Les Paul Classic which was a long time out of production. I tried to ask the sales assistants about the guitar, but they didn't seem to know much and were not interested in much either!

P1010473_DxO.jpg

It was actually quite nice.

Ian

...the guitar that they had plugged into an amp and ready to go was a well used Les Paul Classic......It was actually quite nice....

[scared]

Why the tone of surprise, Ian?

[-X

:lol:

I'm a fan - especially of the early ones.

Great instruments built to very similar specs as the R-I's. Long Tenon and more 'vintage' p'ups & caps in the R-I's are about the only differences.

The trap inlays on the 1960 Classic are actually more historically correct than those used on the R-I's before c.1997/8.

P.

Pippy, I just assumed that they'd be trying to highlight something from there current product range. It's a bit like displaying 59 burst and then telling perspective customers "well you've tried the best but now you'll have to make do with a 2015 Standard" (no disrespect to the 1015 one's they look very nice to me, just not worth the money).

I know mine isn't one of the earlier Classics but I haven't seen a Les Paul short of a re-issue that I'd swap my 2008 Classic Antique for, but I've never played a Traditional, they look like they could be alright.

Ian

My 2000 LP "Classic" has the "Les Paul Classic" decal on the head-stock, AND the wider binding in the cutaway,

as well. So, they've definitely changed spec's, over the years! No matter...it's a Great guitar, none the less!

I remember, when I was a "kid," that I always wondered why Gibson left that bit of the top showing, in the

cutaway bound area. Seemed "unfinished" at the time. And, I rejoiced when they went to the wider binding

that covered that "mistake!" LOL!!!! :rolleyes:[biggrin]

CB

...I know mine isn't one of the earlier Classics but I haven't seen a Les Paul short of a re-issue that I'd swap my 2008 Classic Antique for...

Please don't pick me up wrong, Ian. I almost bought a Black-Beauty 2007/08(?) Classic Custom (with the 'Antique'-style bound head and crown inlay) myself but it had a broken/repaired h's and unfortunately, on balance, was overpriced.(*)

Classics, of all sorts, are simply Lovely Guitars. I even like the ceramic p'ups in my '91...

P.

(*) EDIT : This one (well, this model), in fact, and I still think it's an absolute stunner;

Gibson_Les_Paul_Classic_Custom_Ebon.jpg

My 2000 LP "Classic" has the "Les Paul Classic" decal on the head-stock, AND the wider binding in the cutaway,

as well. So, they've definitely changed spec's, over the years! No matter...it's a Great guitar, none the less!

I remember, when I was a "kid," that I always wondered why Gibson left that bit of the top showing, in the

cutaway bound area. Seemed "unfinished" at the time. And, I rejoiced when they went to the wider binding

that covered that "mistake!" LOL!!!! :rolleyes:[biggrin]

CB

I have a Les Paul Classic Gold Top - 1960 RI. The dealer told me it was a 2006 but I think its either a 1996 or a 2006 because the serial number is

(6 xxxx). It also has the waterslide saying "Les Paul Classic". The reason I think its a 1996 is because it has an ABR-1 bridge. I haven't removed the pickups yet to check but would like your opinion. If its a 2006 its in very good condition, if its a 1996 its in excellent condition for its age. (kind of like my wife lol). Either way its a great guitar but I would prefer if it was the older 1996.

uhm...6 <space> = 1996.

06 = well, uhm, '06.

Glad I could help out.

rct

That was what I was thinking. My Goldtop's serial number is 6<space> with an ABR1. I'm going with 1996 then. Thanks for your help.

No; you don't.

You have a '1960 Classic'. It is not a R-I.

Please do not help in perpetuating the confusion which surrounds these two models.

P.

Ok ok... I guess I stand corrected. I have a Les Paul Classic Gold Top - with 1960 written on the pick guard.

Yep.

The guy in the eBay link in your post #32 is confused, too, Donny.

Anyhow; I'm another who likes Les Paul 1960 Classics.

Aw, what the Hell.....it's been simply ages since I posted them!........................:^o

'91 and '95.

TreaclePortraitFramedlo-res_zps4b6e9240.jpgHoneyPortraitFramedlo-res_zpsec6b3780.jpg

[smile]

Pip.

Yep.

The guy in the eBay link in your post #32 is confused, too, Donny.

Anyhow; I'm another who likes Les Paul 1960 Classics.

Aw, what the Hell.....it's been simply ages since I posted them!........................:^o

'91 and '95.

TreaclePortraitFramedlo-res_zps4b6e9240.jpgHoneyPortraitFramedlo-res_zpsec6b3780.jpg

[smile]

Pip.

Whew the 95 is pretty. Yea those early Classics are cool.

44fa571c-12dc-45d4-86bc-ba3bc12033b8_zpsa9a7c335.jpg

CB

Even wihen it still had the 'Aged' inlays this has always been, as CB knows well, one of my very favourite LPs regardless of type. Simply Gorgeous.

Whew the 95 is pretty.

Thanks very much, Golden.

Oddly enough the flowing grain of the '91 almost immediately seduced me far more strongly than the flame seen on that tart of a '95 did ...I guess I like the 'Quietly Confident' type...LOL...

These are so beautiful I could just look at them again and again :)

As far as my brace goes, Donny, happily I can and do.

Even more happily they both play far better than they look. Yes; they do.

FWIW, Donny;

The p'ups on the flirty '95 are the SD Antiquities which were installed by the original owner.

I'm not sure if it's standard procedure with Antiquities but these are a matched set and are both signed by Seymour Duncan himself on the base plate. Is that normal, do you know?

This one (the '95) is also the one Flight has been after as he thinks it's even better than my 'Marmalade'.

He's wrong, of course, but he got a whole lot more 'right' after he let me have a pair of Luxe brand genuine PIO caps with which I could replace the jokes which were in situ.

P.

EDIT : Not wishing to go too far off-topic nor hi-jack the thread but this is a better snap of the top of my '91.

It's not as seductive as Flight's magnificent G0 'Plain Top' of course but, still, it's OK by me;

Treaclemed13x17.jpg

Archived