Gibson Brands Forums

Well...This is annoying....

Gibson486

I bought a dot 335 pro used. It sounded fine, but I noticed that it was sort of muddy. I go to the bridge pick up and I notice it is not muddy at all. What on earth...after being confused for a few minutes I realize that the switch is wired backwards or rotated 180 degrees. You think this is a QA problem or do you think, maybe, the person who bought this decided to be funny?

I bought a dot 335 pro used. It sounded fine, but I noticed that it was sort of muddy. I go to the bridge pick up and I notice it is not muddy at all. What on earth...after being confused for a few minutes I realize that the switch is wired backwards or rotated 180 degrees. You think this is a QA problem or do you think, maybe, the person who bought this decided to be funny?

Well, regardless of whether it was a QC or prior owner issue, you've now ID'd the problem, so fix away and be done with it, no? You/re not going to get the warranty benefit anyway.

I know that, I just thought it was amusing (and annoying). I looked closer and found evidence of the switch being taken apart. I am guessing that the previous owner thought it was annoying as well and since you cannot simply rotate the switch easily, he/she probably decided to get rid of it. Their loss is my gain, I guess.

That's a bit like buying a second hand car then complaining that the front tyres are fitted to the back wheels and vice versa. You bought the guitar because you like the way it looks and handles. It's just a swich, rewire it or replace it.

Well, my Ibanez AR720 came with an intended tri-sound switch swap. The Prestige line guitars made in Japan have them in the positions matching those of the pots while the Chinese models come with inversely mounted switches and also are advertised this way. I simply swapped them back for intuitive operation. [thumbup]

OK, slightly confused here.

I bought a dot 335 pro used. It sounded fine, but I noticed that it was sort of muddy.

Welcome to owning an Epiphone with humbuckers. More recent models with better pickups tend not to be muddy.

I go to the bridge pick up and I notice it is not muddy at all.

Would you not have expected the bridge pickup to be less muddy than the neck?

I realize that the switch is wired backwards or rotated 180 degrees.

What led you to realise this? Did you tap on the polepieces?

found evidence of the switch being taken apart.

So you've had the switch out and someone has dismantled the switch? Or you haven't had it out it just looks as if the retaining nut has been loosened? I'm just curious if you've had the switch out, why not just re-wire it. But maybe I misunderstood. If you haven't, whip it out and rewire it, it's an easy job.

Sounds like a factory defect.

I had an Epiphone G400 I bought from Sweetwater with the same deal someone in China wired it backwards that day.

You can't just flip the thing need to rewire it in the G400 anyway......not enough slack in the wires.

I have been hit or miss with Sweetwater...........I called them and to their credit they were willing to stand behind it and pay for a shop to do it.....I know how to so did myself....plus the G400 has the back plate my 335Pro if had been that way would have had them pay the shop.

Speaking with them though they do stand behind stuff........not impressed with their "55" point check they brag about.......I caught the problem the first time I plugged it in.......obvious if they do this check it should have been caught......or more so Epiphone's own inspector should have caught it too.

You are not the only one out there with an Epiphone PU selector wired backwards.........easy fix.

A Custom Shop Gibson of mine came brand-new with a shorted toggle switch. The neck pickup was always on, including shorting out the bridge pickup with the neck pickup volume turned down. <_<

It wasn't intended as a feature at Gibson, and such things might happen at Epiphone, too. Anyway, either QCs should be able to find out. :-k

Rewired the switch....the actual pick ups go to the wrong knobs (treble goes to rhythm and vice versa) :( Working on dots are sort of a pain too because there is no direct access. I would say it is a reason to upgrade the pickups, but I am actually happy with these pick ups.

Archived