Gibson Brands Forums

Maker of strings

4Hayden

I have used Optima Gold electric strings - expensive but good sound on an f-hole guitar, loud and of course very long-lasting.

What are the Optima Chromes like? I will have to try some.

Otherwise still use DR Handmade Blues nickel 0.11 set which are great.

I got a 3-pack of D'Addario in the same gauges, very much cheaper but not as good tone IMO and lasted only 3 gigs.

Regards!

What are the Optima Chromes like? I will have to try some.

Regards!

Optima Chromes are very bright and loud and last dozens of playing hours under my fingers.

Anyway, they don't for a bandmate of mine with a very aggressive sweat. Except for Elixirs, he's killing strings of any brand you could think of within 10 to 20 minutes of playing. :( They even go audibly flat during the first few songs through mass growth by adding oxygen due to corrosion. [crying] Aftermath they look fairly black and sound consistently dull but stay in tune. [biggrin] I guess one advantage of him is that such dead strings allow for incredibly fast action. They are no longer able to buzz yet. [lol] Furthermore, probably no deadspot of any guitar would ever matter to him. [scared]

For my steel string acoustics, Elixr Nanos - I'm liking the 100% PBs lately but the 80/20s are fine too.

The classical right now has D'addrio high tension light gauge. But I also like Savarez, not sure the actual product/set name I have used, but they have a wound G which seems to help the intonation a bit.

For my Electrics, I usually use D'Addario XLs 10s on the solid / semis, I use 11s on the jazz boxes.

I've got a set of Ernie Ball M-Steels on one of my les pauls standards, and my SG Standard, and I like them a lot. (next gen of the EB Cobalt strings) they feel much more like Nickel than do the cobalts. And living up to the hype, (more responsive, more output, -- just "more") If you've not tried this, consider picking up a set for the next string change.

For my steel string acoustics, Elixr Nanos - I'm liking the 100% PBs lately but the 80/20s are fine too.

The classical right now has D'addrio high tension light gauge. But I also like Savarez, not sure the actual product/set name I have used, but they have a wound G which seems to help the intonation a bit.

For my Electrics, I usually use D'Addario XLs 10s on the solid / semis, I use 11s on the jazz boxes.

I've got a set of Ernie Ball M-Steels on one of my les pauls standards, and my SG Standard, and I like them a lot. (next gen of the EB Cobalt strings) they feel much more like Nickel than do the cobalts. And living up to the hype, (more responsive, more output, -- just "more") If you've not tried this, consider picking up a set for the next string change.

Looks like we're the only Ernie Ball users here , might need to try some different strings

I'll give them a try

Other than the classical guitar strings, you generally don't find them at your average big box store. I used to have a local Mom & Pop Shop order them in for me, but... it eventually became easier, more economical, and more timely, to just order them off the web.

Here's where I get mine:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/

Ernie Ball's for me. 10 - 46 Regular Slinky's. For acoustic, 13 - 56 Ernie Ball's or Martin's. Also like Gibson strings, too. For bass, since my Fender Jazz Bass is really my first bass, I'm still trying out different brands of bass strings, but I like 45 - 105 for bass. Will more than likely stick to my Ernie Ball's for it, though. Want to try a set of Rotosound's next set of bass strings I get.

Other than the classical guitar strings, you generally don't find them at your average big box store. I used to have a local Mom & Pop Shop order them in for me, but... it eventually became easier, more economical, and more timely, to just order them off the web.

Here's where I get mine:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/

Thank You

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using D'Addario for years and I love them. I usually just use the 10s but there's a super light top/regular light bottom set that's nice on a strat or tele, lots of hybrid gauge options.

They last forever. I rarely break strings, and I bend as far as I can sometimes. They retain their tone well over the course of time.

Just once, I thought I should try ernie ball strings, since they're so popular, and I think it was right after I read that Jimmy Page used them. The high E string broke within the first half hour of playing, I've never had that happen with d'addarios. I replaced it with some other high e string and I remember either the g or b string breaking not more than a week or two later... first and last set of ernie ball strings I ever bought.

I've had the same set of d'addarios on my strat for, well between six months an a year, I can't be sure, but a good long time - and that's with a lot of playing.... They're still shiny, sound great, feel great, stay in tune well, and I don't plan on changing them until one breaks, hope I didn't just jinx myself...

Man they're a great deal too, on amazon, three sets for eight bucks or so, maybe 10 or 11 for uncommon sizes

Archived